carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 01-24-2019, 02:47 PM   #31
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Yes, it's a 2017, so it has the IRS. The IRS helps--there's none of the weird axle hop over bumps that older Mustangs had. But it's still unmistakably a Mustang, for good and bad.

I've driven a couple of lower spec rental Mustangs, and the GT is a lot nicer.
You are also comparing a 2017 Mustang to a 2006 Boxster. Time takes a toll on power, dynamics, NVH etc...

Every porsche I've had with the exception of the 2001 996 was pretty great on the highway. Tight cabins are my only complaint.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 03:16 PM   #32
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
You are also comparing a 2017 Mustang to a 2006 Boxster. Time takes a toll on power, dynamics, NVH etc...

Every porsche I've had with the exception of the 2001 996 was pretty great on the highway. Tight cabins are my only complaint.
I'd much rather be in my 2 series on the highway than the Boxster--in both top up and top down situations. Primarily, I prefer the more elevated driving position. But also the better visibility all around with top up; and there's much less cabin wind in my car with the top down.

Windy parkways, etc., are another matter.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 03:26 PM   #33
JST

I thought the Mustang was the nicer highway car. The Porsche is loud inside, partly (mainly?) because of the engine, rather than the wind noise. And even with 3.73s, the V8 Mustang is more relaxed at speed than the Porsche, which spins a lot higher revs on the highway. Of course, the Porsche is a 3.2 six v. a 5.0 V8, and has something like 150 fewer hp.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 03:27 PM   #34
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
I'd much rather be in my 2 series on the highway than the Boxster--in both top up and top down situations. Primarily, I prefer the more elevated driving position. But also the better visibility all around with top up; and there's much less cabin wind in my car with the top down.

My 1er (and presumably the 2er as well) really does a great job as a daily driver. Wind noise is minimal for a convertible, seating position and ergonomics are great and the controls are properly weighted without being burdensome. I'm still a huge fan.

Back 'somewhat' on topic, it is also a great car to take the kids on a cruise and enjoy top down scenery, some music and the smells of the outdoors. Some of the best bonding moments with my kids. I enjoy hearing stories from you guys (JST, Clyde, etc) of similar experiences with your kids regardless of what car it is in.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 05:54 PM   #35
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
My 12-year-old son doesn't understand at all why we have the Boxster. What's the point, he asks, when my 240 is both fun and practical (and not too attention grabbing.) He understands the utility and comfort of the SUV. He has only contempt for the Boxster.

Of course, all this is because he doesn't drive...

Edit: I think he would approve of the Mustang.
Quote:

With all of that together, I think I'm with your son. Worst case, IMO, it's a pick you pleasure thing because none of them are bad choices.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 05:55 PM   #36
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
Back 'somewhat' on topic, it is also a great car to take the kids on a cruise and enjoy top down scenery, some music and the smells of the outdoors. Some of the best bonding moments with my kids. I enjoy hearing stories from you guys (JST, Clyde, etc) of similar experiences with your kids regardless of what car it is in.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote