carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 05-10-2017, 04:56 PM   #1
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Should I consider an MB R129

So you all know I loved that car in HS. Well, part of me still loves it and I get the feeling they are starting to hit bottom before appreciating.

I'm wondering if I should keep an eye out for a mint V12 model. I get the feeling it would be a good "investment."

Am I nuts?
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 05:51 PM   #2
Alan
Carmudgeon

An R129 ?? Who in the world knows each in house model designation for these cars ... can't we just use regular model designations like the rest of the world

Anyway thanks to google I can say yes you should if that is the model you love ... the prices seem reasonable though I could never stand the seating position in those cars. They just aren't comfortable as they do that weird thing when you recline the seat too much it pushes the bottom cushion forward also they sit very low on the floor.

It's sports car seating in a non sports car
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 06:00 PM   #3
JST

No, because the idea of maintaining a German V12 sounds like nightmare fuel. But you should get one of these:

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/198...90e-2-3-16-12/
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 06:18 PM   #4
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
No, because the idea of maintaining a German V12 sounds like nightmare fuel. But you should get one of these:

yes this for a older mercedes
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 07:14 PM   #5
blee
Doctor Mudgeon

Quote:

Yes. What a cool car. I would definitely buy one of these before an R129, although those too are pretty neat. But NOT a V12, unless you like the way your car looks in the garage on jackstands.
blee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 08:10 PM   #6
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee View Post
Yes. What a cool car. I would definitely buy one of these before an R129, although those too are pretty neat. But NOT a V12, unless you like the way your car looks in the garage on jackstands.
lol

But I thought I had heard those were actually reasonably reliable, if expensive to service.

I just see older SL starting to go for silly money. I really want a Pagoda SL, but even as a project car that is crazy expensive now.

But yes, I do love the 2.3 16V. I almost got one back when I got the 2.6 but it was just outside my budget. I would have ended up beating up on it and putting a million miles, but I've wanted one of those for a while.
Old 05-10-2017, 08:15 PM   #7
FC
Solving problems

Quote:

A 500E(E500) and that car are two classic MB's I'd love to own. The miles are a bit high.

If it ends up at under 10k I would be very tempted. The timing is not right for me to spend time working on an old car. In 2-3 years that may not be the case.
Old 05-10-2017, 08:19 PM   #8
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF View Post
An R129 ?? Who in the world knows each in house model designation for these cars ... can't we just use regular model designations like the rest of the world

Anyway thanks to google I can say yes you should if that is the model you love ... the prices seem reasonable though I could never stand the seating position in those cars. They just aren't comfortable as they do that weird thing when you recline the seat too much it pushes the bottom cushion forward also they sit very low on the floor.

The thread title was a reference to my original bimmerfest handle: mbr129.

Anyhow, I've never even driven one. They could be terrible - I don't know. But I do know they were very well built and stupid expensive: $100K for the V8 when it first came out in 1989. That's nearly $200k in today's dollars. The V12 was even more in 1993 when it came out.
Old 05-10-2017, 08:44 PM   #9
blee
Doctor Mudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
A 500E(E500) and that car are two classic MB's I'd love to own. The miles are a bit high.

If it ends up at under 10k I would be very tempted. The timing is not right for me to spend time working on an old car. In 2-3 years that may not be the case.
The best thing about those 2.3s is their price -- they haven't appreciated like the M3s (at least I don't think), and they're almost as cool. And rarer, actually.
blee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:47 PM   #10
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
I'm wondering if I should keep an eye out for a mint V12 model. I get the feeling it would be a good "investment."

Am I nuts?
No, don't get it. You are half nuts because you're considering, you'd be nuts to get it. Get a Merc sedan that the whole family can enjoy. Two seats & not sporty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF View Post
An R129 ?? Who in the world knows each in house model designation for these cars ... can't we just use regular model designations like the rest of the world.

Anyway thanks to google

I had to google it too. Guess I don't know much about MB's.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote