carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 01-22-2008, 08:43 AM   #1
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
ZHP Cams/Vanos

From the M5 thread I hit new posts at the 'fest and saw this thread active again...

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=197799

I decided to break down and reply only to show that my car has been free from this issue for almost 5 years and over 50k miles.

This makes me reconsider keeping the ZHP, since dropping thousands on a recurring basis is no fun.

I still think there must have been a bad batch because this issue seemed to be non-existent until last year. So should I sell my car as the lucky one that is free from this, or if I truly believe it, keep it since I won't have to deal with it?

Maybe I should put this on the waffling forum...
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 09:07 AM   #2
dan
redefined

God forbid you read and post on the Fest!
dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 09:13 AM   #3
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by makaveli View Post
God forbid you read and post on the Fest!
I don't care about that. I just never bother going there unless links take me there, that's all.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:21 AM   #4
dan
redefined

I just thought it was funny how you had to make two excuses for posting there.
dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 09:31 AM   #5
FC
Solving problems

Well, I didn't intend for it to come accross that way. Maybe it's subconscious.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:08 PM   #6
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
Well FC, here's a little ZHP love/fanboi commentary for you from last evening.

I was out late, it was 11 degrees here - with its snow tires, securely fitted top and a clear evening with clear roads, once again I had more fun driving this car than any I've ever owned......it seemed to really enjoy the super cold!!!

I have nothing but stupid love and admiration for this car.

Ed
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 01:32 PM   #7
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp11 View Post
Well FC, here's a little ZHP love/fanboi commentary for you from last evening.

I was out late, it was 11 degrees here - with its snow tires, securely fitted top and a clear evening with clear roads, once again I had more fun driving this car than any I've ever owned......it seemed to really enjoy the super cold!!!

I have nothing but stupid love and admiration for this car.

Ed
Cool.

Same here. I love the car and after much deliberation was 95% sure I'd keep it indefinitely, until I ran into that thread again. Now I'm wondering.

It's worth more (to me at least) than anyone would be willing to pay for it and myself and more so my wife, surpisingly, are very attached to this car. She even said the other day that it would be really cool if our son were to learn to drive on it all those years down the road.

There are enough silly threads started by me praising that car that it's not worth repeating how much I like it.
Old 01-22-2008, 02:03 PM   #8
killerdeck
Crotchety

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2016 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
Cool.

Same here. I love the car and after much deliberation was 95% sure I'd keep it indefinitely, until I ran into that thread again. Now I'm wondering.

It's worth more (to me at least) than anyone would be willing to pay for it and myself and more so my wife, surpisingly, are very attached to this car. She even said the other day that it would be really cool if our son were to learn to drive on it all those years down the road.

There are enough silly threads started by me praising that car that it's not worth repeating how much I like it.
Every once in a while I have the same thoughts about my car, but then I smack myself. I still get compliments from lots of people about the fact that I have a ZHP without roof, no options all the time. Additionally, it helps that I have only 24250 miles on it for an April 04 delivery. Finally, my wife loves my car as much as I do as well! She tells me that she would rather sell her Acura in the future then to get rid of my car. Stick with it, I am.
killerdeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 03:12 PM   #9
lupinsea
Jeeped

Carmudgeonly Ride: Modified Jeep Tj and '07 Miata
Our car is hitting 85,000 miles. All is good.

I personally don't drive it on a daily basis any more (my wife does at the Jeep is uncomfortable for her) but its been holding up well. Recently one of the sticky blocks holding the shadowline trim on came loose so I need to replace that. All I've done is the factory recommended 15k oil changes and Inspection I / II stuff and a brake change.

In fact, we have our second Inspection I coming up soon (based on the 'puter) and seeing as how it's approaching the 90k mark I think that's time for the spark plug change, as well as the diff and tranny gear oil change. Plus I'll need to bleed / flush the brake fluid.

I am nervous about some semi-catastrophic mechanical failure, though. The though of having to fix anything major on this car is worrisome. The Jeep, no problem, easy and cheap to fix. The BMW? Yikes.

Still, so far so good.

"Jeep is the only true American sports car*" - Enzo Ferrari

* Or something to that effect.
lupinsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 03:27 PM   #10
FC
Solving problems

If I keep it, my car would almost surely see less than 5K miles a year, so it is not unthinkable for my car to get to 15 years and have only 100K miles - if we keep it that long.

At just over 50K miles, my computer says I'm ~4K miles away from the 60K service. I change the oil whenever the computer reads 7500 or 0 miles 'til service.

Speaking of... last time I went to buy BMW Oil, I picked up the new performance parts catalogue where they try to ZHP non-ZHP's and they also have their cross-drilled brakes. Didn't think much of them until they mentioned they save 3 lbs per corner. That's pretty damn good. That obvioulsy much more than drilling alone can do. Anyone know what's the deal?

I'll be due for front rotors in the somewhat near future.