carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Technical Superiority

Old 05-10-2004, 09:48 PM   #1
ARCHER
Crotchety

E36 M3 ICV - opinions requested...

I have been noticing an sporadic dip in RPM's when I chop the throttle (traffic lights, etc.) It has only stalled on me once, during a hard throttle chop - brake - right turn. It happens at any temperature, but is more likely to happen in hot weather - A/C has no bearing whatsoever. RPM'S dip and return to normal within a split-second - otherwise, the car runs like a champ.

After much research, I have decided that it is the idle control valve - probably gunked up. My question is... should I just pony up and install a new one or try cleaning it first? Either way, I have to pull it off and re-install. I am inclined to just buy a new one.

Thoughts?
Old 05-10-2004, 09:52 PM   #2
zach
swinging for the fences

Carmudgeonly Ride: 987, X7 M60i, e36 M3
Re: E36 M3 ICV - opinions requested...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARCHER
I have been noticing an sporadic dip in RPM's when I chop the throttle (traffic lights, etc.) It has only stalled on me once, during a hard throttle chop - brake - right turn. It happens at any temperature, but is more likely to happen in hot weather - A/C has no bearing whatsoever. RPM'S dip and return to normal within a split-second - otherwise, the car runs like a champ.

After much research, I have decided that it is the idle control valve - probably gunked up. My question is... should I just pony up and install a new one or try cleaning it first? Either way, I have to pull it off and re-install. I am inclined to just buy a new one.

Thoughts?
Ugh. My first inclination is to just buy a new one.

In other, non-related news, I think my cam sensor is dying. I went into limp mode the other day. Boy, did that suck.
zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 09:59 PM   #3
ARCHER
Crotchety

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcasavant
Quote:

Thoughts?

In other, non-related news, I think my cam sensor is dying. I went into limp mode the other day. Boy, did that suck.
This is the time when our cars start needing things. I've come to grips with it and am prepared to take care of the nagging wear items. I like the car far too much to bail on it now. Once I work through this shit, she should be good for another 40-50k - and long gone by then.

The dread cam sensor! What will that set you back?
Old 05-10-2004, 10:05 PM   #4
zach
swinging for the fences

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by zcasavant
Quote:

Thoughts?

This is the time when our cars start needing things. I've come to grips with it and am prepared to take care of the nagging wear items. I like the car far too much to bail on it now. Once I work through this shit, she should be good for another 40-50k - and long gone by then.

The dread cam sensor! What will that set you back?
Yeah, it's starting to get expensive. I have the precursor to vanos noise as well - kind of a vibration as from the front of the engine as I decelerate or let the revs go down. According to a reliable source, the cam sensor should be about $200 installed. We'll see.

I ordered front konis yesterday, and I look forward to installing those.

Also, my rtabs are completely shot.

I'm really hoping that the vanos unit doesn't need to be replaced. That's damn expensive.
Old 05-10-2004, 10:12 PM   #5
ARCHER
Crotchety

How many miles on your car?
Old 05-10-2004, 10:14 PM   #6
zach
swinging for the fences

Quote:
How many miles on your car?
Old 05-10-2004, 10:56 PM   #7
ARCHER
Crotchety

I just turned 67k. It's a love/hate relationship - mostly love though.
Old 05-10-2004, 11:00 PM   #8
zach
swinging for the fences

Quote:
I just turned 67k. It's a love/hate relationship - mostly love though.
Yes. Some days, I get out of my car and immediately begin looking for reliable replacements. Other days, I get out and swear I'll keep it forever. Assuming I make the career decision I'm leaning towards, It'll be with us for several more years.
Old 05-10-2004, 11:10 PM   #9
ARCHER
Crotchety

I know the feeling well. Then, when I see anothr one on the road, I can't help but think... "Damn, that is sweet car." There is a kid who works near me with a sedan that looks very much like yours (M Contours, though). They have such a presence on the road, I just can't help taking pride in my own car when I see another.

Yeah, I'll keep mine for a while. I'm hoping the M2 makes it here - we'll see...
Old 05-11-2004, 08:38 AM   #10
zach
swinging for the fences

Quote:
I know the feeling well. Then, when I see anothr one on the road, I can't help but think... "Damn, that is sweet car." There is a kid who works near me with a sedan that looks very much like yours (M Contours, though). They have such a presence on the road, I just can't help taking pride in my own car when I see another.

Yeah, I'll keep mine for a while. I'm hoping the M2 makes it here - we'll see...
Yes, sedan drivers have a special bond. There were so few of them produced with manual transmissions that when I see one, I can't help but smile.

I'm hoping the cam sensor helps the engine out. If the sensor truly is broken, the car is likely only delivering 80% of its power right now. I need to have the codes read and decide what to do.