carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 02-23-2022, 01:03 PM   #211
dan
redefined

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
By the way I was not implying one should or should not, I was just sharing my experience. =)
sure, I didn't take it that way
Old 02-23-2022, 01:07 PM   #212
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
My parents bought my brother and my sister their cars. They were shit cars - my sister had a pretty beat-up Mazda 626 and my brother had a Dodge Caravan. Both vehicles were around ten years old and couldn't have cost more than $1,500-$2,000 when purchased. Their philosophy was my brother needed a car to get to and from football practice and band practices, and my sister needed a car to get to dance, so they received the most basic transportation. The thought of buying a luxury car for the kids would never have even crossed their minds - luxury items were things you earned through hard work, saving, investing, etc.

I wanted something that wasn't a shit car and my parents were cool with that, but I had to buy it. I was also the only kid that had saved money from gifts, work, etc. They helped me out with insurance and some repair costs. In retrospect, I probably never would have learned much about how to work on cars if I hadn't bought the car I did (it was frequently broken and challenging to keep running )

I'm not a parent but it seems logical to buy new drivers a car that is 1) safe 2) reliable and 3) inexpensive and easy to repair. In general, newer means safer and more reliable.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 01:23 PM   #213
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
My parents bought my brother and my sister their cars. They were shit cars - my sister had a pretty beat-up Mazda 626 and my brother had a Dodge Caravan. Both vehicles were around ten years old and couldn't have cost more than $1,500-$2,000 when purchased. Their philosophy was my brother needed a car to get to and from football practice and band practices, and my sister needed a car to get to dance, so they received the most basic transportation. The thought of buying a luxury car for the kids would never have even crossed their minds - luxury items were things you earned through hard work, saving, investing, etc.

I wanted something that wasn't a shit car and my parents were cool with that, but I had to buy it. I was also the only kid that had saved money from gifts, work, etc. They helped me out with insurance and some repair costs. In retrospect, I probably never would have learned much about how to work on cars if I hadn't bought the car I did (it was frequently broken and challenging to keep running )

I'm not a parent but it seems logical to buy new drivers a car that is 1) safe 2) reliable and 3) inexpensive and easy to repair. In general, newer means safer and more reliable.
Yes. With teen drivers, safety/reliability are paramount with me.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 03:29 PM   #214
clyde
Chief title editor

I don't feel a compelling need at this time to express a view in yet another how-to-parent thread.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 04:10 PM   #215
3LOU5
Slacker Extraordinaire

Here's my opinion about parents buying their kids brand new cars, if it actually matters:

If a child is a straight A honor student, who truly knows that working hard academically will get them far in Life, I don't see a problem. I see it as more of a reward that the child truly deserves.

However, if a kid is average, doesn't know good work ethic from a loaf of bread, and basically not very motivated, I *believe* buying a brand new car is not a good idea. I say, let the child get motivated to purchase a safe, reliable car like a Honda or Toyota from a friend or relative that you know took care of that car. I just think that having them work for something teaches them what it takes to succeed: hard work, organization skills, prioritizing, etc. It also gives them a sense of pride and self-worth. Perhaps letting them know that you will pay for HALF of it, so that the child won't get too discouraged, is a method that will certainly help, because having them pay for the WHOLE thing can be overwhelming, leading to unfavorable results.
2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !

Last edited by 3LOU5; 02-23-2022 at 04:11 PM. Reason: edit
3LOU5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 07:45 PM   #216
dan
redefined

I now have 2 fully licensed drivers
Old 04-12-2022, 08:05 PM   #217
dan
redefined

Also, I had no idea watching my second child drive away by himself for the first time would make me such a wreck. This shit is hard.
Old 04-12-2022, 08:26 PM   #218
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan View Post
Yikes! Best wishes…
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 08:30 PM   #219
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:

Quote:
Also, I had no idea watching my second child drive away by himself for the first time would make me such a wreck. This shit is hard.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 11:31 PM   #220
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Congrats!
Quote:
From the time I was about 12 until my parents sold the house when I was 18, I would come home at whatever hour, I'd walk in, take a couple steps, look up the stairs, and see my dad walking back to the bedroom. He'd wake up in the middle of the night, I wouldn't be home, and he'd just sit there waiting for me to get home.

When I turned 16 and got my license, I often respected the restricted hours we had for the first year and if I wasn't going to be home soon after midnight, I'd stay out until 5:00 am. My dad figured out that I wasn't going to come home during those hours and adjusted, but still.

I didn't get it at the time. I didn't get it until I had kid that wasn't home 20 minutes before restricted hours started. Now, when I get a bad thought in my head, I'll text them something that I expect to elicit a prompt response without ticking them off just so I know whatever they're doing, wherever they are, they're okay.

You'll be fine.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote