carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 05-28-2008, 09:57 AM   #1
TD
Founder emeritus

About to pull the trigger...

...on a replacement for the Saab.

Choices for a manual tranny wagon are rather limited and if the primary driver wants a new one under full warranty (partially as a reaction to the whole Saab experience), the choices get even more limited.

So it looks like we're getting a new '08 Audi A4 Avant Quattro 2.0T 6-spd. It's a special edition package with the sport suspension, black on black with aluminum trim. The special edition package throws in leather, moonroof, 12 months of Sirius, and 17 in rims plus S-line exterior bits.

For the price and given the alternatives, it's a no-brainer. And before everyone bashes the A4 driving experience, understand it's replacing a FWD Saab known for it's massive torque steer. So, yes, it's far from being a sports car. But that's not it's job.
TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 10:02 AM   #2
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
They're nice looking cars. I'm sure it'll work fine as a family truckster. Don't know how the 2.0T does compared to the old 180hp 1.8T, but that is one aspect of VW ownership we have really liked. Good power and astonishing gas mileage. At 125k, still chugging along without complaint.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 10:02 AM   #3
JST

Where'd you find one?
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 10:02 AM   #4
ff

Are they still offering great leases on the A4? I've strongly considered the A4 on a few occasions, but the lack of Quattro/6 spd/s-line examples in this area has always kept me looking elsewhere.
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 10:20 AM   #5
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Nice... Not a big fan of black but otherwise close to my ideal spec. I'd also go the sports suspension on 17's. Sucks that the new b8 avant is supposed to be tiptronic only...
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 10:31 AM   #6
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Cool. VERY sharp car.

Surprised you find it roomy enough, but then again you don't do long drives with the whole fmaily + dog routinely.

I recommend a Thule Box if you run out of room.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 10:43 AM   #7
TD
Founder emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
Cool. VERY sharp car.

Surprised you find it roomy enough, but then again you don't do long drives with the whole fmaily + dog routinely.

I recommend a Thule Box if you run out of room.
But we do do long drives with the 2 kids plus dog...

And the Thule box is on the shopping list (we already have the load bars and fairing). Actually, we were going to get one even if we were going to keep the Saab. But then the Saab had another "incident" which prompted the overdue decision to get rid of it.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:49 AM   #8
TD
Founder emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Where'd you find one?
It's funny, my saved Autotrader search showed one each hitting a bunch of east coast dealers over the weekend. This one is at Tischer, which is barely out of the way of my daily commute. They said it arrived on Saturday. They unwrapped/PDI'd it for us yesterday. It had 4 miles on it when we got in.

It was pure luck that it so closely matched our ideal specs. They're going $500 over invoice. And when we asked what they'd give us for the Saab (more just to ask than actually expecting a fair offer), they offered more than Carmax offered us last year. We haven't gone back by Carmax yet, but considering in MD the sales tax is calculated on the net transaction, trading it would save us a few hundred dollars on sales tax as well. So we'll probably give it to them.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:51 AM   #9
clyde
Chief title editor

I'm sure that you'll manage, but I hope that you find it big enough, cargo box or not.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 10:51 AM   #10
TD
Founder emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff View Post
Are they still offering great leases on the A4? I've strongly considered the A4 on a few occasions, but the lack of Quattro/6 spd/s-line examples in this area has always kept me looking elsewhere.
They are, however we're buying this one. My wife likes to keep cars longer than I do.