carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 11-18-2018, 09:01 PM   #1
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Are you ordering your tpms from tirerack? I had a situation where I bought an upgrade set of wheels for the JGC that should have had tpms, but didn't (no way to tell right away as it takes 5-10 miles to learn). I ordered from tpms.com.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 10:11 PM   #2
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
Are you ordering your tpms from tirerack? I had a situation where I bought an upgrade set of wheels for the JGC that should have had tpms, but didn't (no way to tell right away as it takes 5-10 miles to learn). I ordered from tpms.com.
Was that a Tire Rack order, too? And both you and Matt thought you were getting TPMS in the orders?

You have to take manual action to add TPMS to Tire Rack orders. They also charge you 2-3x what the sensors would cost you elsewhere, but if you get them elsewhere, you'll probably have to pay someone to dismount/mount, so I guess it's a wash.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 10:53 PM   #3
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Was that a Tire Rack order, too? And both you and Matt thought you were getting TPMS in the orders?

You have to take manual action to add TPMS to Tire Rack orders. They also charge you 2-3x what the sensors would cost you elsewhere, but if you get them elsewhere, you'll probably have to pay someone to dismount/mount, so I guess it's a wash.
I've never forgotten the TPMS on a tirerack order. I was buying wheels/tires old school and the price was good enough that when I realized they were missing TPMS, I let it go.

I shopped tirerack before other locations and found tpms.com to be a good place (perhaps half of tirerack price?) to get the set. They don't need to fully dismount, they can put the wheel on the mount/dismount machine start turning it and popping the tire off at which point they can reach behind the valve. Kind of like changing a bike tube without taking the tire off. The catch is that for me, they still needed rebalancing. I wouldn't have thought it, but the little added sensor weight was enough to introduce a tiny shake.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote