carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 01-08-2018, 11:25 PM   #31
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
Check your control settings in the computer for the auto wipers. It should be in there.
Yes, after I posted, I sat in the driveway and went through the settings and found the auto wipers.

Alas, no auto-hold in D to stop the creeping, only a hill hold. I did a search, Jeep calls it "Hold'n Go". Described in the manual, not available on any JGC even as an option.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 11:46 PM   #32
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
I can’t ever see spending big money again on an SUV.
You sound regretful. Care to expand?

I'm guessing the idea is that it drives like a truck, so don't spent a shit ton as if that will make it more like a car?
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 11:54 PM   #33
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
There is definitely float & lean. The "on stilts" feeling is there as it is with most every SUV.
I was thinking about it... It basically weighs as much as a Chevy Silverado. If your brain is even remotely thinking "sport wagon" I'm guessing things won't end well.

Whereas if you start with the expectations of an off-road truck, the ride might make a lot more sense.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 05:20 AM   #34
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Chrysler is notorious for the dashboard MPG gauge being overly optimistic, so temper your efficiency expectations some.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 07:35 AM   #35
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
You sound regretful. Care to expand?

I'm guessing the idea is that it drives like a truck, so don't spent a shit ton as if that will make it more like a car?
It drives better than a truck, and is probably about as good as it gets for an SUV except for a Cayenne, but, yeah, can’t compare to a proper car. It suits our family well when we need the space/highway safety/weather capability. But it gets left in the garage otherwise.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 09:11 AM   #36
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Quote:

That's interesting, because a guy definitely came out to fuel up my truck when I was in Jersey a couple of years ago. I remember because I didn't know the rules - are you expected to tip those guys?
I left Jersey in 2007, so maybe rules have changed, until I left I always had to pump my own diesel (many stations, but in northwest NJ). . . there must be a Gov. Christie meme out there of him pumping diesel in his beach chair, am I right?!?
Old 01-09-2018, 09:39 AM   #37
zach
swinging for the fences

Carmudgeonly Ride: 987, X7 M60i, e36 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
It drives better than a truck, and is probably about as good as it gets for an SUV except for a Cayenne, but, yeah, can’t compare to a proper car. It suits our family well when we need the space/highway safety/weather capability. But it gets left in the garage otherwise.
Interesting. I've really come around on our F15 X5. The steering is still total garbage though. One distinct advantage over a wagon is the ability to drive up on curbs to load/unload in the city. We live on a very narrow street with minimal street parking so it's pretty handy, and wouldn't be possible in something like an E63 wagon.
zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 09:44 AM   #38
JST

As the kids have gotten older, I've found any rationale for getting an SUV (or even a big wagon) diminishing.* Equ's use case is quite specific, and I guess if I lived somewhere where it really snowed I'd change my tune. But I weep for the impending future when everything is a crossover.

*please ignore the momentary G class insanity I experienced a few months ago. I'm better now. I think.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 11:25 AM   #39
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Quote:
are you expected to tip those guys?
Absolutely not.

This is the only time of year I’m glad for NJ’s gas pumping rules. Oregon just bailed on mandatory full-serve, so we’re the only ones left.
Old 01-09-2018, 12:56 PM   #40
3LOU5
Slacker Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
Drove it home, about 30 miles in a dark, icy/rainy night.

It's going to be a big adjustment. I have had only german cars (audi, porsche & bmw) since 2000.

Steering is decent. It is a very tall truck from the inside, Q5's and other crossovers look like cars. It was a very smooth ride home on the air suspension, especially on the highway. Less great on broken city streets with the 20" wheels. Not terrible.

There is definitely float & lean. The "on stilts" feeling is there as it is with most every SUV.

The engine & transmission are the best part. I got 29.4 mpg without trying. The 8-speed auto is very good, much better than the 6-speed in the older RR's that I was looking at. Like the TDI, you hear the diesel clatter at low speeds and from the outside, but not when cruising on the highway. Maybe on a ramp or an overtake. Enough power and twice the mileage of comparably torquey v8's.

The Overland is rather posh. Leather dash, 500W stereo, so lots of goodies that I've never had, even in expensive german machinery.

Some nitpicks:

- It's not pleasant to keep the vehicle at a stop in D. Not bad enough to shift to P, but definitely some vibes. I guess this is an autotragic thing. I hope buried in there is an auto-hold feature, but I'm not holding my breath. It won't matter on long trips.

- seats are a bit firm and a bit flat. prefer cushier and more bolstered. Lumbar support was sufficient. I don't think I have found the perfect driving position just yet but didn't try too hard.

- seems to have no auto wipers, crazy on such a loaded spec

That's about it. I have lowered dynamic expectations and it meets them just fine. Hopefully, it'll grow on me.
The beauty of driving a such a pig is that when you immediately hop in your Audi/BMW/whatever, it’ll drive and handle like a Ferrari, lol.
2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !
3LOU5 is offline   Reply With Quote