carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 03-10-2023, 10:34 AM   #1
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Porsche GTI

(I believe the Macan uses the GTI engine)

‘22 base with GTS wheels
Gentian Blue

-or-

‘21 base
Mahogany

Thoughts?

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 11:17 AM   #2
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
(I believe the Macan uses the GTI engine)

‘22 base with GTS wheels
Gentian Blue

-or-

‘21 base
Mahogany

Thoughts?
post the vins so we can see build sheets. My personal thoughts, are the Macans / Cayennes, especially base models don't do anything better than BMWs / Audis/ RRs for $20k more.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 11:20 AM   #3
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
yeah i was cross shopping the Macan when I was buying the GTI yeah same engine for the base macan
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 11:21 AM   #4
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Nevermind, yeah post the Hoehn links too
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 11:49 AM   #5
robg
Carmudgeon

Have you driven the base Macan yet? I had one as a rental (in LA actually) about a year ago. Although the specs look completely fine on paper (acceleration wise), I found that it would bog down w/ a delay when I needed to quickly accelerate to merge for example. It just felt underpowered overall. Weirdly, I didn't have the same impression of an Audi Q5 w/ the same engine that i rented a few months after that. Also, I'd recommend against getting the base seats (covered in whatever Porsche call their alcantara like material these days). I found that even with moderate outside temps, they got very hot and my back would sweat. Try to get one w/ ventilated leather seats if possible. Overall, I'm just not sure its worth the money over a q5.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 11:54 AM   #6
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
My personal thoughts, are the Macans / Cayennes, especially base models don't do anything better than BMWs / Audis/ RRs for $20k more.
I would agree. I was thoroughly underwhelmed by a base Cayenne loaner I got in 2015. It was nice inside though.

The Turbo versions I am sure are great, and I have read reviews to that effect, but that is a massive premium on an already very expensive car.

Those SUVs make Porsche buckets of money.

Not to say their sportscars aren't super profitable also, but the SUVs have a lot more competition.

Can't you get a lot more for your money with a BMW, MB, or Audi? I was under the impression that MBs were becoming much better to drive but maybe that is only the case for AMGs.

EDIT: Old review, but this is the kind of vibe I recall: https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...mparison-test/
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 12:21 PM   #7
JST

I’d do this instead.

https://www.porschecarlsbad.com/inve...ab2a57llb33750
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 10:18 PM   #8
lemming
Western Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
I would agree. I was thoroughly underwhelmed by a base Cayenne loaner I got in 2015. It was nice inside though.

The Turbo versions I am sure are great, and I have read reviews to that effect, but that is a massive premium on an already very expensive car.

Those SUVs make Porsche buckets of money.

Not to say their sportscars aren't super profitable also, but the SUVs have a lot more competition.

Can't you get a lot more for your money with a BMW, MB, or Audi? I was under the impression that MBs were becoming much better to drive but maybe that is only the case for AMGs.

EDIT: Old review, but this is the kind of vibe I recall: https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...mparison-test/
The Macan is expensive for what it is —no getting around this.

But it is significantly different from the Q5 that I like it. The PDK for starters. And the all wheel drive system is also different. I like the flatness of the handling.

I skipped the Macan S as well as the 2018 Macan Turbo — I chose a 2021 because it sat better in the depreciation curve, but not too old a car.

It’s really fun. When you go in with low expectations, it’s quite pleasant as a vehicle to be honest. It also makes my 2018s feel quite old.

Put together a new config for the GT3 today — but will talk about that separately.

Old 03-10-2023, 10:43 PM   #9
lemming
Western Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
You’re supposed to avoid the 3.0T engine and if you get a v6 turbo in the Macan, it’s supposed to be the 2.9L T motor.

Not sure sure but likely oil consumption and robustness.

Old 03-11-2023, 10:01 AM   #10
lemming
Western Anomaly

Driving Impressions —

Conditions: hard rain and standing water. Apparently they don’t employ engineers to do the roads in SoCal. There’s no such thing as a crowned road. So water pools. Also, drainage? What’s that? But surfing? Bro. The waves are good.

The vehicle: mildly equipped 21 Macan. Main indulgence is prob the 20” so-called Turbo wheels. No other performance stuff. Just a standard base Macan. Bet those are all seasons too.

There is obviously floatiness in the suspension. But roll stiffness is not terrible. It’s more slight vertical motion (springs?) on undulating roads. Steering feel is nonexistent. Steering wheel is okay. Engine surprises me. Sounds like a cheap vacuum cleaner (no sporty exhaust) but the torque is surprisingly good. The PDK shifts seamlessly. It really feels like more than 4 cylinders. From 1500rpm to 3500rpms. Which is great. Above 5000rpms, it’s a very meh engine.

In other words, surprising amount of useful power for local roads. Doubt it’s super great on the highway, but maybe it will be a great momentum vehicle with a high enough top end for LA traffic. PDK is so so so much better than any Merc automatic. Ugh. Mercedes, go back to the drawing board —your transmissions suck. The brake pedal feel is FIRM. Man. Non of the squishy ness. Surprising they go with this brake feel. Not too boosted, but so firm.

The interior is okay. the 21 is right before the 22 switchover to the piano black shifter console with touch sensitive buttons? I happen to hate that look as well as functionality. I prefer mechanical switchgear. So call me a Luddite, but I like what I got. Leather seating surfaces are okay. Plastics are okay. Nicer than the GLC on the lower panels of the door where the GLC feels ultra cheap. Shifter also, being the standard 7speed PDK, feels substantial.

Interior space is pretty tight. But I don’t know that I care about absolute space. I just need some space. It’s like everyone says basically a Porsche GTI. They tuned the suspension, the awd and the PDK to suit their sense of what a crossover should be.

This is more than a forgettable vehicle. Not by a large margin. But right now I’m pleasantly surprised. It actually feel like there’s more AUC from 1000rpms to 3500rpms than the AMG43 GLC. Now, you can say that’s the whole thing about the hot vee V6, but it’s not a super satisfying power train. The “AMG” faux powertrains are just okay. Probably the E53 straight six is still much superior.