carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 06-07-2019, 11:56 AM   #51
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by zach View Post
This makes a lot of sense, thanks! Putting a rear-facing seat in a 911 does seem like it'll take up a ton of room which is part of the reason I had sort of written it off. And you're right - I don't think the 4yo will be thrilled with the legroom. F80 makes almost too much sense, but man I really do want a 911.
Believe me, I get it. And I think you can make a 911 work, but it will just have to be a car only for you and the 4 yo; K2 will have to ride in the other one.

You could always pencil one in for 4-5 years from now, when K1 can ride in the front seat and K2 will be small enough to ride in the back. That's where I am, now, though what I've found is that since my K1 can ride in the front (and K2 is almost there), the Boxster is actually more useful than it used to be, and it's hard to justify giving that up for a 911.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 12:58 PM   #52
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Yeah, that's a tough use case. For what it's worth, you'll find (I think) after K2 that less of your driving will be with all of the family; there will frequently be times when one or the other of you has to take one or the other of the kids someplace and the other doesn't need to/want to/won't go.

A 911 actually makes some sense in the narrow age range where the older kid is big enough to buckle herself in but small enough to not be bothered by the lack of rear seat room. At the same time, I'd recommend taking your kid to sit in a 911 and see what she thinks. Even at 4, my daughter was...not impressed by the legroom or lack thereof.

The other thing is that rear facing seats have gotten even bigger somehow and need to be rear facing even longer. There's no way one of those is going in a 911; my guess is that even an F80 is going to be tight in the front passenger seat with a rear facing seat behind it. We could barely fit a rear-facing seat in the middle of the E90 back in 2011, which is one of the reasons we ended up with a 535XiT. It made the front seat unusable if it was in the right-hand rear seat. The F80 is bigger and might be better in that regard, though.

Yep rear facing seats are huge. One good thing about the f10 m5 w is that I believe you can adjust the upper backrest angle separately which helps with rear facing seats (since it’s the upper most portion that typically hits the seat back). Atkeast that’s how it was on my old f10 with the multicontour seats.

F80 seatbacks have that hard carbon fiber shell right? Might make the seats bulkier and therefore harder to get a rear facing seat in there.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 01:00 PM   #53
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
This makes a lot of sense, thanks! Putting a rear-facing seat in a 911 does seem like it'll take up a ton of room which is part of the reason I had sort of written it off. And you're right - I don't think the 4yo will be thrilled with the legroom. F80 makes almost too much sense, but man I really do want a 911.
My kids fit fine in my 996( i think still too). It is the rear seat a luxury sedan ? no, but they fit back there.
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 01:11 PM   #54
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
F80 seatbacks have that hard carbon fiber shell right? Might make the seats bulkier and therefore harder to get a rear facing seat in there.
Nope. They are cheap plastic. People sell legit CF inserts for $1200+.

I never had a problem even in the E46, but that was because my wife is short so we had her seat forward. We also used Britax Roundabouts (my gosh that brings back memories) and they were pretty small.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 02:36 PM   #55
zach
swinging for the fences

Carmudgeonly Ride: 987, X7 M60i, e36 M3
I've Googled searching for people who have replaced F80 seats with F10 ones...
zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 04:42 PM   #56
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Congrats, Zach!
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 09:27 AM   #57
Alan
Carmudgeon

Being you have the X5 I think you’d be fine with the 911 as long as your wife knows how to drive a manual for the occasion you need to take the little guy out by yourself in the truck. It isn’t the most convenient car to have with such small kids and you’d need to plan things out for the days you need to go as a family but it is doable.

I can’t see putting the whole family in a 911 if you didn’t have too ... I just looked at my drivers seat and there is literally about 4 1/4 inches between the seat back and the back seat and if memory serves me right my 991 is slightly bigger than the 997.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 06:45 PM   #58
zach
swinging for the fences

AF - just seeing your comment now. Wife prefers manual so no issues there.

On the F10 topic, check out what seems to be an e39-themed F10 m5 build
Old 07-11-2019, 06:51 PM   #59
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
AF - just seeing your comment now. Wife prefers manual so no issues there.

On the F10 topic, check out what seems to be an e39-themed F10 m5 build
e39 themed with the interior color and manual?
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 05:59 AM   #60
zach
swinging for the fences

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
e39 themed with the interior color and manual?
Yeah it was really the interior that did it for me - looks a lot like a number of e39 M5s back in the day with the leather and wood (and 6spd, of course).