carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 05-30-2013, 04:49 PM   #161
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
I wouldn't bank on that credit existing as-is 3 years from now. Probably still something, but...
The credit does have a phase-out -- but it doesn't start phasing out until the manufacturer produces 200k electric vehicles. More info here:
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/taxevb.shtml

And an example chart:

Of course, that does not preclude a law change that eliminates or reduces the credit before the phase out is complete...
Old 05-30-2013, 04:54 PM   #162
TD
Founder emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaz View Post
Yours was cheap. The way I wanted it ended up at just shy of $109K. Nope.
I was configuring the "cheapest" car I'd be happy with.
TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:56 PM   #163
ZBB
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD View Post
$81K was after the credit. It was the 60 with tech package, 21" wheels, panaroma roof, and the charging options. Plus metallic paint and leather.

It's a $1100 note payment per their calculator. And my realistic gas savings is only $160/mo.
Mine has 19" wheels -- you get less range with the 21" (~10 miles -- 5%).

I also went with standard paint, not metallic. Just didn't like most of the metallic colors. Since I finalized, I've seen a couple of the "multi-coat red" -- which is really nice looking, but I like the basic white that I ordered just as much...

The only charging option I got was supercharger access. The 2nd onboard charger and the HPWC (wall connector) are not necessary since the car comes with a mobile connector that I can use at home, and still adds 30 miles of range per hour of charge -- and I typically drive ~60-70 miles per day during the week, so will be a 2 hour top-off each night. The 2nd charger can only take advantage of the HPWC, which will charge at 60 miles of range per hour.

Last edited by ZBB; 05-30-2013 at 06:22 PM.
ZBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:23 PM   #164
ZBB
Relic

Just received a call from Tesla... Delivery confirmed for Wed June 5.

Won't know exact time until that morning, but I told them afternoons are better...
Old 05-30-2013, 07:06 PM   #165
JST

They are bringing it on a truck to your house?
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:19 PM   #166
ZBB
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
They are bringing it on a truck to your house?
Yes. Enclosed truck. Although since we're in a gated community and on a cul-de-sac, it will most likely be unloaded just outside the main gate... I've seen other trucks deliver cars that way (a lot of snowbirds ship their cars down for the winter, then back to their cold state home in late spring)...

Apparently still only offered to those of us where Tesla can't directly sell... If they have a dealers license in other states, they now do delivery at the service center or store (so you go pick up the car)...
Old 05-30-2013, 09:17 PM   #167
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Tesla, like BMW, puts a lot of stuff into spendy option packages that most people are going to want, like a "tech package" for nearly 4 grand, 3700 fancy wheels, a $200 package shelf, etc. So that 35K number is probably optimistic.

And clyde's right about the credit, which may well go down quite a bit. OTOH, it's not clear to me that a reduction in the credit would be paid entirely by the consumer. Tesla quotes most of its prices including the credit, so if the credit went away they'd have to "raise" their consumer-facing prices, which they may not want to do.

The gas savings for me aren't terribly substantial, either. Clyde makes a great point about the Fit EV (and other, similar products), but it just highlights the reality--I want a Tesla because it is a kick in the ass to drive and it's fucking cool. It's the same reason I wanted an M3. The fact that it's electric is a nice bonus, but at the end of the day, I don't really want an electric car. I want a Tesla.

Which really should be their new ad slogan.
Yup, agree with all of that.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:54 PM   #168
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
The credit does have a phase-out -- but it doesn't start phasing out until the manufacturer produces 200k electric vehicles. More info here:
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/taxevb.shtml

And an example chart:

Of course, that does not preclude a law change that eliminates or reduces the credit before the phase out is complete...
Right. Originally, the Obama administration and much of Congress thought they'd see a lot of EVs built and sold pretty quickly and that hasn't happened. Last I looked, no one was even close. However, with continued new car intros, improvements to existing ones, ever growing positive media in both general and enthusiast channels, societal and infrastructural overcoming of range anxiety, etc... I wonder if that will change by then.

Tesla probably won't hit 200k by then, but it's not hard to see Ford and GM doing it. When they start getting close, I'd expect an outcry from someone about unfair advantages. "There's a tax break fro rich people buying megabuck Teslas but nothing for working people buying Ford/GM X? " And I'd expect a legislative response that "levels the playing field" whether it's setting an overall registration/title number, specific calendar dates, some linkage to price, some combination or something. It's just very hard to see it playing out in its current form.

Sorry for the sidetrack.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:36 PM   #169
ZBB
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Sorry for the sidetrack.
Not a sidetrack -- completely relevant to any future Tesla waffling by others.

But I'm gonna take my $7500 credit and run
Old 06-03-2013, 01:56 PM   #170
blee
Doctor Mudgeon

I saw a Model S in the flesh as I was driving back to CT from Providence this morning. It's a sharp-looking thing, gotta say. Looking forward to some pics when yours arrives!
blee is offline   Reply With Quote