carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 03-06-2017, 04:47 PM   #1
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Has anyone here driven a 718 Boxster S?

Spouse and I drove one this weekend with Sport Chrono. (She's been missing her Z3 and thinking about adding a roadster at some point.) Although dismissive that it could be anything special, she was blown away by the handling and is pretty convinced she wants some sort of Boxster in the future.

Not sure how it compares to the 6 cylinder predecessor? (I haven't driven one in years, and it was probably a base car.)

This purchase won't happen for some time, but, I'd likely advise her to wait for a good example of a 2016 6 cylinder to come off lease. (Stick vs. PDK is also up for debate, but the choice will be ultimately be hers.)

Thoughts?
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 05:00 PM   #2
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Didn't you just buy a roadster? Can't she just steal that from you and be content?

I'm not a porschephile, even though this board is poison for that. I don't get the boxster devotion... but that's me, so i'm no help here.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 05:34 PM   #3
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
Didn't you just buy a roadster? Can't she just steal that from you and be content?

I'm not a porschephile, even though this board is poison for that. I don't get the boxster devotion... but that's me, so i'm no help here.
We bought a four-seater convertible. And she can drive it whenever she wants. But, she's drawn to the roadsters. I (and this may be sacrilege) think I really prefer the M240--at least as a DD. Easier to get in and out of, better visibility, similar power, similar fun, much cheaper new, fits the whole family, passably practical.

I am thoroughly pleased with the 2 series. It reminds me a lot of my M3C, but is in every way more comfortable, civilized, and conveniently modern. Much better as an everyday, livable car.
Old 03-06-2017, 06:23 PM   #4
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
It's been on my list to drive a 718, but I haven't yet.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 06:32 PM   #5
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Your description of your 2er is exactly how I feel about my 1. I spent 2 hrs in a 987.2 base last Friday w/ the top down. It was enjoyable to swap, but I like my w much more. Even if four seats were not a requirement i'd still take the 1 over a boxster I think.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 06:38 PM   #6
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
I haven’t driven one either but I would be more inclined to find a used 6-cylinder over the boosted 4 that sounds like a subaru.
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 11:10 AM   #7
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Haven't driven a 718. One year and about 5500 miles on (either three other cars and a busy schedule) I love my 981S. The 3.4L six is plenty torquey for my needs and sounds better than ever. If I had to replace, I would stay eith a cayman or boxster S. Just make sure you get the transmission, color and options that are important to you.

Apples and oranges to my e46 m3, to any 1er I've driven and by extension to any 2er as well. Those are all great cars but no comparable.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 11:12 AM   #8
equ
Alphanumeric

To be clear, the 981 sounds great stocks and with no PSE. In fact, I find the overrun pops a bit cheesy (heard with S/C on Sport or Sport+ and PSE loud).

The parking brake, the slightly muted steering and the slightly muted clutch are my only niggles. This car is a peach, it is az good as it gets and I still prefer it to the GT4.
Old 03-07-2017, 11:19 AM   #9
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
To be clear, the 981 sounds great stocks and with no PSE. In fact, I find the overrun pops a bit cheesy (heard with S/C on Sport or Sport+ and PSE loud).

The parking brake, the slightly muted steering and the slightly muted clutch are my only niggles. This car is a peach, it is az good as it gets and I still prefer it to the GT4.
My M240i has similar silly overrun pops and burbles. The 718 we drove had the sport exhaust as well, and it sounded very like my car.

What options do you think are must-haves? I suspect my spouse will ultimately opt for the PDK (even though I was able to convince her to choose a stick for her Z3.)

My inclination is always to avoid over-sized wheels. I'd probably lean toward the Sport Chrono (I have similar functionality in the 2), and PASM would be nice, as well as 14-way Sport Seats. Everything else seems non-essential...

At any rate, this is true Perseveration (FC-style), as nothing will happen for at least a year or two.
Old 03-07-2017, 11:36 AM   #10
equ
Alphanumeric

I'm very lucky with my previous owner and build. The car has a $91.5k MSRP (which would total $97k or so if you built it now).

It has GT Silver, full natural leather, PTV, 20" wheels, PASM, vent/heated seats, PDLS, S/C, 18-way seats, bose, PCM and some other stuff.

I would order with my own money:

1. PASM - a very comfortable suspension. The fixed sports suspension is slightly more fun, but this is better for everyday roads. Either suspension is noticeably better than base, IMHO.

2. 14 or 18-way seats are the only two that come with lumbar. My aging back needs (or thinks it needs lumbar sports). The 18's and the manual sports seats are highly bolstered. My personal most comfortable seat was the 14-ways but the 18's are great too, especially for those of us who are not too broad/wide. At 41" chest, my shoulders barely fit.

3. PDLS. The upped headlight power is nice to have.

4. PTV. LSD what more should I say? Car rotates on power, almost too much so with worn rears. If not a hooligan, you may not need to order this. I found the brake side of it a bit annoying on the GT4, haven't really noticed it on the 981S.

5. Heated seats (extends driving season)

6. Auto-dimming. Car is low and I'm light-sensitive, I'm still dazzled from the front but the this really helps on the rear.

Nice to have:
  • Vented seats (for those hot days)
  • Full leather - imparts a special feeling to the interior.
  • Auto-wipers
  • Deletion of model. It's simpler in the back when it says P O R S C H E instead of long model name.
  • Front full clear bra.
  • Bose. I don't like it much but guessing base system is worse?
  • Electric folding mirrors

I'm split on:
  • PSE. Car definitely has plenty of sound (more than 987.2S) without and the tone is better with it off.
  • S/C. Good for hooning. I also like the firmer steering on Sport, I'm not sure if S/C gets you Sport & Sport+ or only Sport. I almost never use Sport+
  • Electric folding mirrors
Wish I had:

Rear park distance or some kind of camera (I probably wouldn't order it as car is short, but at 91k? come on)

So fundamentally for me, it's PASM, heated seats with lumbar, dimming and PTV (if you're aggressive). It's a bit of a luxo spec, but quite common without PTV. With PTV, I'd say it's rear. Porsche website has a very detailed option-by-option used search feature.