carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 01-04-2018, 04:34 PM   #241
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
I suspect I am going to wait for the dual motor car. Not really ready to take delivery in a month.
Not after you buy this anyway.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 04:44 PM   #242
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
That's awesome but jesus already 65?
JST is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 05:44 PM   #243
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
That won't go below the 80's or 90's.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 06:33 PM   #244
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Just got the email to configure my Model 3. Delivery is promised within 4 weeks if I pull the trigger on the "early production" spec (i.e, RWD, long range battery, 'premium' upgrades). Other option is to hold my place in line for the true base model, or for the dual motor AWD car.

I suspect I am going to wait for the dual motor car. Not really ready to take delivery in a month.
Delivery is promised within 4 weeks
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 08:26 PM   #245
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Just got the email to configure my Model 3. Delivery is promised within 4 weeks if I pull the trigger on the "early production" spec (i.e, RWD, long range battery, 'premium' upgrades). Other option is to hold my place in line for the true base model, or for the dual motor AWD car.

Interesting. I haven't gotten mine yet... I wonder if they are doing certain large markets ahead of others (I've kept my address with Tesla in AZ since that is closer to CA)
Old 01-05-2018, 08:06 AM   #246
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
What could possibly go wrong with buying a car from Savannah, right Nick?
Old 01-05-2018, 08:36 AM   #247
JST

I actually don’t doubt the 4 week promise at this point. I don’t see any reason they’d send the invitation without a pretty good idea of their production/delivery schedule. They’re building cars slower than they wanted, but they know roughly how fast they are building them.
Old 01-05-2018, 08:48 AM   #248
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
is there a chance to take delivery and resell it for mark up? If so would that be worth it?
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 08:57 AM   #249
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
I actually don’t doubt the 4 week promise at this point. I don’t see any reason they’d send the invitation without a pretty good idea of their production/delivery schedule. They’re building cars slower than they wanted, but they know roughly how fast they are building them.
I'd agree -- Tesla has a pretty good feel for what percent of invites will order quickly and that the build rate and ship times will allow 4 week delivery...

For example, I saw a post on TMC from a person who received an invite to order in early December, but decided to wait. Then she was in an accident a few days before Christmas, likely totaling her Model S (a distracted driver nearly hit her head on -- she swerved and was side swiped instead -- damage all along the side of her car, with the rear quarter in really bad shape, a destroyed wheel, etc. So she decided to go ahead and order the Model 3, expecting it in late Jan. She could have taken delivery prior to new years, but pushed it out this week since she was out of town for a few days.

Also, it seems that JST was part of a wave of invites all along the East Coast... I'm guessing Tesla is batching regions. Someone else from AZ mentioned that he has not received an order offer yet either...
Old 01-05-2018, 10:15 AM   #250
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
is there a chance to take delivery and resell it for mark up? If so would that be worth it?
As to the first, probably. As to the second, maybe to someone but not to me, just because it sounds like a pain in the butt and I'm not sure realistically what kind of resale premium you could get at this point, in DC in the dead of winter.