carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 06-12-2017, 10:44 PM   #191
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 10:56 PM   #192
clyde
Chief title editor

I can't argue with the more diplomatically worded "are you fucking crazy?" responses, because you're all absolutely right. Except...sigh...

I'm truly worried about getting screwed buying the wrong V8 version. If the 1LE gets moved to FS, I'll be pissed because I want the 1LE, but probably not enough to run it against the Corvettes in AS. And if I buy a non-1LE, I'll always kick myself for not getting a 1LE, even if the 1LE stays buried in another class. Without the 1LE, im not sure if the MRC are a good idea. They may be the best non-custom shocks that will ever be available for the car. Or they may not. And they may not be easily replaceable with something else without putting the car into a limp mode. And do I get the slushie or not? And the 2018 Mustang GT is going to fix a lot of the Mustang's autocross problems.

The turbo four is a lot less risky and looks to probably have a more stable situation for a couple years. The biggest risk to it, I think, is a rule change to allow the LPO options (dealer installed) which changes what you want on the non-1LE Camaros. I think the ones that matter will be retrofittable-able, but need to do more research.

I've been lucky with my Stock/Street purchases. The RX-8 became dominant the season after I bought it when the S2K was moved out. And the FoST has had a nice run that is probably over or will be over after this year.

My need for a dominant car is not like it once was. Or at least I didn't think so. My whole autocross outlook has been undergoing this bizarre recalibration over the past month or so that is still ongoing. Having the "right" car makes things a lot easier.

The other thing is $18k. I mean, new car for $18k? How wrong of an idea could that be? If the classing stuff settles and the turbo four isn't the one to have, it's not like I'd lose my shirt fixing that mistake. KBB (great barometer, I know), says a 2016 no option turbo four with 12k miles will get $18k as a trade. If I keep it three years, how much can it depreciate? If it's 50%, that's only $9k. Even it's 75% that's still only $13.5k.

But it's not a V8, so it's a stupid idea. Except... sigh

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 08:37 AM   #193
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Why wouldn't you wait until winter and buy after you see where they end up?

That and, well... Buy the V8
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 12:41 PM   #194
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
Why wouldn't you wait until winter and buy after you see where they end up?

That and, well... Buy the V8
Because the anticipated incentives that I expect to bring such favorable pricing will be gone and the selection of properly optioned cars will probably be much smaller.

But yeah, if things go great, I'll delay forever, LPOs remain banned, everything gets moved to FS and I'll find a $46k MSRP Krypton Green 2017 1SS 1LE PDR sitting on a nearby lot the dealer can't get rid of until I offer $26k.

In a more perfect world, it would be a left over Bright Yellow

Or a Hyper Blue Metallic

But you know it will be a Krypton Green one

Which is why I'll wind up with a no-option boosted four banger of indeterminate color for peanuts.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 06-13-2017, 12:55 PM   #195
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Because the anticipated incentives that I expect to bring such favorable pricing will be gone and the selection of properly optioned cars will probably be much smaller.

But yeah, if things go great, I'll delay forever, LPOs remain banned, everything gets moved to FS and I'll find a $46k MSRP Krypton Green 2017 1SS 1LE PDR sitting on a nearby lot the dealer can't get rid of until I offer $26k.

In a more perfect world, it would be a left over Bright Yellow

Or a Hyper Blue Metallic

But you know it will be a Krypton Green one

Which is why I'll wind up with a no-option boosted four banger of indeterminate color for peanuts.

Do they at least offer gold so you can pretend to be Rockford?
JST is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 12:56 PM   #196
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Do they at least offer gold so you can pretend to be Rockford?
No.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 06-13-2017, 01:15 PM   #197
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
That was a firebird!!

That blue color is pretty hot though.
Old 06-13-2017, 01:17 PM   #198
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
I saw one in that green the other day, wasn't sure if it was a factory color or a wrap.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 01:47 PM   #199
Biggins
Crotchety

Carmudgeonly Ride: 22 Tiguan, 11 328i
It has to be that green!

I guess I understand the car purchase for a specific purpose/autox class since my car has fallen out of favor. If you can really get a turbo for $18k, I'd say do it. There will still be V8s for sale a year or two after you've had the turbo?
Biggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 02:05 PM   #200
JST

Can you really get a Camaro (even a rental edition turbo) for 18K? I guess if you can that's compelling, though also it probably will feel like something from Hertz most of the time.

Buy the V8. Run it in whatever class it's in. Have fun.
JST is online now   Reply With Quote