carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Technical Superiority

Old 04-11-2008, 09:36 PM   #1
lupinsea
Jeeped

Carmudgeonly Ride: Modified Jeep Tj and '07 Miata
E46 90k Service (2nd Inspection I) Due, Questions.

Hey guys, coming up on my second Inspection I at 87k miles. Just wondering what there is I'd need to do besides the Inspection I stuff.

Near as I can tell:
Change Spark Plugs - do this now or at 100k?

Change O2 Sensors - Is this really necessary at 87k or should I do it at 100k?

Change Drive Belts

Change Oils (engine, tranny, diff)

Change filters (engine, engine air, and cabin)

Brake Fluid Flush (brakes / clutch system)

Change Steering Fluid

Clean MAF

Inspect everything for wear, tear, and leaks, fix as necessary and generally follow Inspection I list o'stuff to do

Additional Questions

Replace Cooling System - I've heard it's wise to replace the OEM cooling system at about 90k miles. Is this really true anymore? I have a 2003 E46 ZHP. Not sure what might have changed from the early years. Simply looking at the cooling system it seems fine. No leaks at least. And I have an electric fan, no engine-mounted clutch fan.

VANOS O-Ring Replacement - Do these need to be replaced, too? Doing some searches it was something that was mentioned at the fest and other places for cars approaching 90k miles.
Beisan System VANOS O-ring thingy
Beisan System O-ring replacement procedure

Anything Else?

What else am I missing?

Any recommended on-line resources and write-ups that would help with some of these things?

"Jeep is the only true American sports car*" - Enzo Ferrari

* Or something to that effect.

Last edited by lupinsea; 04-11-2008 at 09:55 PM.
lupinsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 11:06 PM   #2
Nick M3
Relic

Leave off the additional stuff and leave off the O2 sensors. And spark plugs are nominally 100K, so no real reason to do them early if the car is running well.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 11:07 PM   #3
Aerials
Jaded

Carmudgeonly Ride: 3.5 SE
I would say if you are going to change the driving belts, replace the water pump also. And when you change the water pump, you can do the coolant flush then.

As for the spark plugs, I would change them. Boile from the 'fest changed his at 70k miles and they appeared pretty worn out.

As for the O2 sensor's, I don't believe they need to be changed unless the car needs to pass an emissions test. There are 4 of them (2 in the front and 2 in the back). I just replaced the front 2 as KrisL recommended to me.

I would also change the PS fluid also. Takes about 10 minutes.

Have you browsed the e46wiki?

Last edited by Aerials; 04-11-2008 at 11:38 PM.
Aerials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 11:12 AM   #4
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
Are you doing this yourself or paying someone to do it? If you are doing it yourself and don't mind a little extra work, I'd say to go ahead and do it all now. You'll probably feel a big improvement in how the car performs after and you'll be glad you did.

If you are paying someone... I'll leave it up to you how much you want to spend at one shot. I'd still recommend getting it all done, but maybe you can hold off on some of the stuff until the 100k interval.
Old 04-12-2008, 12:13 PM   #5
killerdeck
Crotchety

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2016 BMW M3
WOW! I guess some people actually drive their cars. My 04 ZHP is in for the first Inspection 1 at 25,600 miles right now. The only reason I am having the dealership do it is because the car is under warranty until next week. How nice! A buddy and I did the rear diffy fluid and tranny fluid ourselves. I get a brake fluid flush included under the maintenance, oil change, cabin filter, and air filter replacement. I probably would do most everything you stated if you are doing it yourself.
killerdeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 12:43 PM   #6
lip277
The old cranky SOB....

Carmudgeonly Ride: several cars... way too many....
I just replaced the spark plugs on my red E38. They had ~80k on them and while they didn't "look" too bad....

I'm now getting 2mpg better than before and the car starts easier and idles smoother.

That alone may make a difference in doing it now vs waiting... And for the rest... Just do it. All of it. I would.

1970 2800CS - - 2001 740iL - - 2006 997.1 - - 2012 Escalade
1968 Mustang GT Convertible - - 2003 Ford F250 PSD - - 1985 728i
lip277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 01:20 PM   #7
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Nothing will "look" wrong with the radiator or water pump up until the point that they explode. Granted, I think the rad's plastic endtanks fail because of heating and cooling cycles more than miles, so your car is probably OK. It just depends on how much it would suck for you to get stranded somewhere.

I think BMW's latest iteration of the composite water pump impeller is pretty good. The problems with those were from the E36 days. Still, it's cheap and easy to install / remove, allows you to do the thermostat and makes coolant change a breeze when it's removed (since a lot of coolant comes out when you remove it). Up to you.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 02:52 PM   #8
lupinsea
Jeeped

Carmudgeonly Ride: Modified Jeep Tj and '07 Miata
I'll be doing the work on the car myself. Everything looks do-able. And last I heard (during the battery diagnostic, <1000 miles ago) there were no codes being thrown.

Cash flow is a little tight right now after coming off of the bathroom remodel . . . and a new Jeep transmission . . . and a new BMW battery. Oh yeah, plus the desperate need to replace the rear tires for ~$600-ish (w/ tax) right now.

I don't want to hold off on stuff that is at immenant risk of failure, nor postpone necessary maintenance. But . . .
If I don't need to do the coolant system now, I'll wait until 100k when I can do the plugs.

If I don't need to do the VANOS o-ring/seal replacement I'll hold off, probably to the other 100k stuff.

If the O2 sensors are OK for now, I'll hold off on those, again to the 100k mark.
So I guess the big question is: What's needed now vs. what can be put off for another 14k miles?

Any one thing isn't that big of a deal but they all start adding up fast. Especially when factoring in recent expenditures and the need for new rear tires. And, what $500 for the cooling system + ~$120 for the VANOS o-rings stuff* + what, $140 for two O2 sensors?

If you guys are strongly recommending I get some of the other stuff done, I'll do it, but if I can stretch it out for another few months it would help. . . oh, and now I'm doing about 1200-1600 miles / months commuting if that factors into anything.

And thanks for the help with this.

"Jeep is the only true American sports car*" - Enzo Ferrari

* Or something to that effect.
lupinsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 02:58 PM   #9
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
I personally would hold off on the O2 sensors and cooling system work. I suspect you are probably OK since you have a lot of miles but not many hot / cold cycles.

O2 sensors do degrade but I haven't noticed a huge hit by waiting to replace them until they throw a code. YMMV.

Can't comment on the VANOS o-ring issue - don't know anything about it.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 03:05 PM   #10
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
our wagon is about the same age/mileage. I just changed all drive belts recently, mechanic said they where very worn. Still running the original coolant system but flushed that semi-recently. One of my O2 sensors failed and you get the nice check engine light so changed that.
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote