carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 04-27-2020, 11:02 PM   #2661
JST

This was the opposite end of the Mustang world from that 5.0 LX, back in the day--a pretty loaded up GT convertible (though still with a stick).

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...onvertible-10/

We had one of these in...'87, I think? Same color, though it had a white leather interior. It was literally the coolest thing that 14 year old me had ever seen, though I never got to drive it on my own (though I did on my learner's permit).

By the time I got my license in '89 it had been replaced, first with a Probe GT and then with an 89 GT convertible that had an auto. That car was tragic. It was amazing how much slower the AOD Mustangs were.

Will be interesting to see what this one goes for. It's nice, though there seems to be some debate about the paint. But my guess is that a loaded GT doesn't have the same pull as a base LX these days.

EDIT:

A number of years later I had a similar car in Reef Blue Metallic, which was maybe the most perfect 90s color that ever existed.

That would be a cool car to take to Radwood.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 07:47 PM   #2662
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
https://jalopnik.com/some-people-may...y-b-1843133134

Not BAT... but it’s certainly interesting...
Old 04-28-2020, 08:41 PM   #2663
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
We had one of these in...'87, I think? Same color, though it had a white leather interior. It was literally the coolest thing that 14 year old me had ever seen

All I read was this ... I have 4-5 yrs on you and man those cars were fun.

My friend had a 87 Mustang GT coupe with some crazy exhaust and we would take that bad boy out for some crazy drag racing ... back then it felt super fast though i’m pretty sure my Audi Q7 truck could beat it and my ridiculously heavy 540 would blow its doors off

It’s amazing how things change.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 08:52 PM   #2664
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
All I read was this ... I have 4-5 yrs on you and man those cars were fun.

My friend had a 87 Mustang GT coupe with some crazy exhaust and we would take that bad boy out for some crazy drag racing ... back then it felt super fast though i’m pretty sure my Audi Q7 truck could beat it and my ridiculously heavy 540 would blow its doors off

It’s amazing how things change.
The thing to remember with those cars were that they (86-93) were making 300 ft-lbs of torque almost right off the line. They fell on their face over about 3750 RPM (or something similarly low). They were amazing for stoplight races against rushhour traffic, but beyond that...meh. OTOH, there wasn't much out there that did better at the time. And they sounded amazing stock.

I liked (still do) the color of the one JST linked, but was never a fan of the convertible versions. As flexy as the hatchbacks were, the verts were...not good in that regard.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 09:02 PM   #2665
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
The thing to remember with those cars were that they (86-93) were making 300 ft-lbs of torque almost right off the line. They fell on their face over about 3750 RPM (or something similarly low). They were amazing for stoplight races against rushhour traffic, but beyond that...meh. OTOH, there wasn't much out there that did better at the time. And they sounded amazing stock.

I liked (still do) the color of the one JST linked, but was never a fan of the convertible versions. As flexy as the hatchbacks were, the verts were...not good in that regard.
This generation of Mustang 5.0 defined the decade. Cars of this period were all so flawed and unreliable. This car had great styling and street performance out of the box.

Compare to a Camaro of this era (godawful), a 911 (1960s powertrain) or the Corvette (optispark anyone?).

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 09:09 PM   #2666
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
This generation of Mustang 5.0 defined the decade. Cars of this period were all so flawed and unreliable. This car had great styling and street performance out of the box.

Compare to a Camaro of this era (godawful), a 911 (1960s powertrain) or the Corvette (optispark anyone?).
Yeah, and this was the decade when German cars were...let's be polite. They were kind of slow, especially in the US, because in Germany they ran with no cats and here they were hobbled by emissions equipment.

So the Mustangs from 87-93 not only were (relatively) cheap, they were about as fast as anything out there (at least up to 60).
Old 04-29-2020, 11:14 AM   #2667
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Yeah, and this was the decade when German cars were...let's be polite. They were kind of slow, especially in the US, because in Germany they ran with no cats and here they were hobbled by emissions equipment.
Honestly they were comparatively slow even before that came into play, weren't they? I mean the quality and driving experience was exquisite compared to a Pinto or K-car, but no 2002 was keeping up in a straight line with a GTO or Chevelle back in the day.

When did catalytic converters become mandatory, like '77-78?
Old 04-29-2020, 02:19 PM   #2668
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaz View Post

A little before that. I was pumping gas after high school hours for Mobil. I think the unleaded pumps were added in 1974
Old 04-29-2020, 02:22 PM   #2669
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Quote:
Honestly they were comparatively slow even before that came into play, weren't they? I mean the quality and driving experience was exquisite compared to a Pinto or K-car, but no 2002 was keeping up in a straight line with a GTO or Chevelle back in the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kognito View Post
A little before that. I was pumping gas after high school hours for Mobil. I think the unleaded pumps were added in 1974
Google says 1975
Old 04-29-2020, 02:28 PM   #2670
JST

Quote:

Yeah, that's a good point. I mean, performance in general in the 80s (and of course the 70s) was pretty bad. But growing up BMWs were never really "fast," eg.; indeed, it wasn't really until the N54 that mainstream BMWs were "fast" cars.