No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
FS: 2003 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4WD

Basics:
2003 Silverado 2500HD LS 4WD Extended Cab 4-door standard bed ~160,000 miles
Maroon exterior, gray cloth interior, bucket front seats, folding rear bench
6.0L Vortec LQ4, 4L80E, 4.10 gears, auto-locking rear axle, pushbutton 4WD
Soft Tonneau cover
Factory snow plow prep package (heavier torsion bars, plus other stuff)
Prodigy brake controller
Asking $8,900

The Good:
Two owner (original owner was a good friend of mine)
Custom tune since nearly new
A/C blows ice cold
Rust-free
Bilstein shocks
Stainless steel hard brake lines (every single line replaced with SS) and all new rubber hoses
Red head steering gear box
Cognito steering brace kit
Aftermarket headunit with Bluetooth phone / audio
Cloth Interior like new, very clean, never smoked in.
Exterior has stone chips, but paint shines well
Custom HID Bi-Xenon headlight projectors
Michelin LTX tires with 40k-50k left on them
Garage kept for last five years
Aftermarket extendable tow mirrors with integrated signals (originals included in sale)
Brand new spare water pump, thermostat and K&N panel filter (not installed)

Maintenance performed
Trans fluid and filter changes every two years with synthetic
New transfer case ~ 88k
Oil / filter changed every 5-6k miles with synthetic, oil analysis every change since 109k
Brake fluid flushed every two years
New rear brake pads, rotors and caliper brackets at 110k
New front wheel bearings at 110k
Replaced oil pan gasket and dipstick tube at 110k
Flushed cooling system 110k
New clutch fan at 110k
Front suspension bump stops replaced 112k
New Iridium spark plugs, Delco plug wires and intake manifold gaskets at 115k
Replaced cracked passenger side exhaust manifold with OEM plus all new bolts at 121k
New reman alternator and Optima battery 122k
New fuel filter at 123k
New power steering cooler and lines at 124k
New hydraulic cab mounts at 130k (no annoying 75MPH vibration like many GM trucks)
Cognito Steering brace kit at 132k
New tailgate hinges, parking brake cable differential oil and rear diff cover at 137k
All new instrument cluster motors and light bulbs at 140k
New 4WD selector switch at 140k
New A/C compressor clutch, Schrader valves and evaporator at 141k
New front and rear U-joints, driveshaft balanced 141k
New upper control arms, front brake pads, brake caliper brackets, idler and pitman arm, steering damper, steering box (Red head) and hydroboost lines and alignment at 150k. Steers better than new.
Probably some other stuff I’m forgetting.

The not as good
No bedliner, so the inside of the bed is scratched up. It’s been used as a truck. I never cared.
Plenty of dings / stone chips and a couple of small dents, but it looks really good overall.
Some chrome flaking on the alloy wheels.
Power steering pump whines a little at low speeds
Could probably use another new tonneau cover, no holes in it but the stitching is separating from the back. Doesn't affect usability or weather-tighness.

This truck has been great. I’ve used this mostly for towing around the country for autocross stuff and running truckly-like errands and it’s never done me wrong. It has plenty of power, suspension and brakes for towing. I get between 11 and 12MPG towing at around 75-78MPH. The 4L80E is bulletproof and has been well maintained. The 6.0L LQ4 burns zero oil and uses zero coolant and every oil analysis shows very low wear metal content in the oil, no sludge and no fuel dilution or coolant intrusion. It's parked in my garage and I've never seen it leak anything. No exhaust leaks, great power, shifts perfectly, great brakes.

It has had plenty of nickel and dime GM stuff listed above, but it’s all been taken care of. I never have any worries jumping in this truck and heading across the country. It also has quite a few little upgrades that make it a lot nicer to drive. I just got back from a 1,000-mile round-trip (towing) and the truck was a champ as it always is. I set the cruise at 78 and averaged 11.5MPG on regular gas.
I would not be selling this truck if a closer friend hadn’t decided to upgrade his Cummins Ram, which I'm going to pick up. For the money I don’t think you can beat these trucks as an all-around tow vehicle. Will post more pics this evening, if there's something specific you want a photo of let me know.

John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 07:23 PM   #2
John V
No more BMWs

Old 06-15-2017, 07:53 PM   #3
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
If only I had a place to put this thing....
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 08:00 PM   #4
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Few questions. . .

1. closest airport to you?
2. curious about the included water pump and thermostat. wasn't needed with other stuff you replaced at 110K?

3. Prodigy is P1 P2 or P3 (not an issue, just curious) ((if you don't know, don't sweat it))

4. rear doors are suicide, correct? rattles?

It is more truck than I have been looking at so far. I have been looking at 1/2 tons. but looks like a great truck for the money
Old 06-15-2017, 09:07 PM   #5
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
I don't know about the rest, but he couldn't be much closer to an airport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
I would not be selling this truck if a closer friend hadn’t decided to upgrade his Cummins Ram, which I'm going to pick up.
Welcome to the family. Enjoy the butt coolers.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 09:30 PM   #6
John V
No more BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kognito View Post
Few questions. . .

1. closest airport to you?
2. curious about the included water pump and thermostat. wasn't needed with other stuff you replaced at 110K?

3. Prodigy is P1 P2 or P3 (not an issue, just curious) ((if you don't know, don't sweat it))

4. rear doors are suicide, correct? rattles?

It is more truck than I have been looking at so far. I have been looking at 1/2 tons. but looks like a great truck for the money

1) BWI is about 25 minutes away.
2) I thought the truck had a coolant leak when I bought it and I assumed it was the water pump. I bought the parts to replace it not long after buying the truck, but turns out I was imagining it. It doesn't use or lose any coolant and it doesn't run hot. Seems like the LS-based engines run pretty much forever and the cooling systems are bulletproof. I routinely tow up I-68 which has a very long steep grade and the truck never runs remotely hot.
3) It's not a P3 but beyond that I don't know. I'll try to figure out which one it is tomorrow.
4) Suicide doors. The truck is tight. It doesn't have any interior rattles. There is a slight plasticky rattle in the front end that you only hear with the windows down. I think it's the fender liner, which is missing a couple of its fasteners. I need to pick some up at the auto parts store.

It's a great truck. The main downside compared to a half ton is it gets worse fuel economy (4.10 gears standard on the 3/4 ton models, so it turns some revs on the freeway) which is around 11.5 towing, 12.5 city unloaded and 13-15 unloaded highway depending on how fast you go. It also rides harder than a 1/2 ton - stiffer springs and load range E (80psi) tires. I air the tires down to 55 when I'm not towing, or for winter use and it's not as bad.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:08 AM   #7
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post

It's a great truck. The main downside compared to a half ton is it gets worse fuel economy (4.10 gears standard on the 3/4 ton models, so it turns some revs on the freeway) which is around 11.5 towing, 12.5 city unloaded and 13-15 unloaded highway depending on how fast you go. It also rides harder than a 1/2 ton - stiffer springs and load range E (80psi) tires. I air the tires down to 55 when I'm not towing, or for winter use and it's not as bad.
Yeah, this is the thing me and the misses were going back and forth on last night. When we needed a towing truck, we traded our F150 in on a GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD SLT (same version as your truck, but maybe a year or two newer) But ours was crew cab and had the duramax/allison combo. I don't need a towing truck now, mainly looking for a work truck.

And after the lease is finished on the edge, it may become my daily driver for a while. I think I need something that will use a little less fuel.
Old 06-16-2017, 11:52 AM   #8
John V
No more BMWs

Makes sense to me.
Old 06-16-2017, 05:33 PM   #9
Nick M3
Relic

The reason it gets worse fuel is probably more the extra weight than the gearing. The half ton GMT800 was crazy light. IIRC, nearly 3000lbs lighter than my my diesel GMT800.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 05:54 PM   #10
John V
No more BMWs

Nah. It turns 2500 rpm at 75. Half ton 5.3L trucks aren't much lighter than mine but they have way taller gearing and get 18 is on the hwy. The duramax adds a lot of weight.