carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 01-31-2024, 07:13 PM   #21
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
So are the different size wheels front to back a real performance advantage or just a silly fashion thing?
was wondering the same thing, response from bard

Quote:
There are several reasons why some sports cars have larger rear rims compared to the front:

Performance:

Increased Traction and Acceleration: Larger rear rims allow for wider tires, which provide a larger contact patch with the road. This translates to better grip and improved traction, especially during acceleration when most of the weight transfers to the rear. This is particularly beneficial for rear-wheel-drive (RWD) sports cars.
Handling Balance: RWD sports cars tend to experience oversteer (where the rear loses grip before the front) due to weight transfer during cornering. Larger rear rims and tires can help counteract this tendency by improving rear grip and stability.
Other factors:

Aesthetics: Large, eye-catching wheels are often seen as a design element that contributes to the sporty and aggressive look of performance cars.
Packaging: In mid-engine sports cars, larger rear rims can help accommodate larger brakes and suspension components due to the limited space available.
Differing Requirements: Front wheels handle steering and braking, while rear wheels primarily focus on power delivery and grip. Different sized wheels can cater to these specialized functions.
However, it's important to note that not all sports cars have staggered wheel setups. Some high-performance AWD (all-wheel-drive) models, for example, might have the same size wheels on all four corners to optimize handling and performance characteristics across all axles.

Ultimately, the decision to use different sized wheels depends on the specific design goals and intended purpose of the sports car.
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 07:24 PM   #22
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post

Yep, it was also provided within the BMW BLOG link that I provided. It just was not itemized.

Last edited by SCA; 01-31-2024 at 10:03 PM.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 09:21 PM   #23
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
Yep, it was also provide within the BMW BLOG link that I provided. It just was not itemized.
TLDR
Old 02-01-2024, 01:00 PM   #24
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
My one comment, which you will all hate me for?

The six speed transmission in the 718 is really really good.

Does this BMW transmission shift better than the E90M3 6 speed? I hope so —but if it is more like the feedback of the M2 manual —BMW hasn’t quite figured out how to eliminate that getrag notchiness in its shifters. I know it’s a key BMW trait, but almost 12 years on, the Boxster 6 speed is still one of my favorites.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 01:06 PM   #25
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
My one comment, which you will all hate me for?

The six speed transmission in the 718 is really really good.

Does this BMW transmission shift better than the E90M3 6 speed? I hope so —but if it is more like the feedback of the M2 manual —BMW hasn’t quite figured out how to eliminate that getrag notchiness in its shifters. I know it’s a key BMW trait, but almost 12 years on, the Boxster 6 speed is still one of my favorites.
The transmission used in this G29 Z4 is from the six speed Toyota Supra. Allegedly Toyota got their hands on it.

BMW Z4 M40i Gets the Same Six-Speed Manual From Toyota Supra: https://www.bmwblog.com/2024/01/30/b...-toyota-supra/

BTW, in the 15 miles plus that I drove my brother’s G87 M2 in mostly stop and go traffic I saw no issue with its shifter. Typical BMW in my opinion.
Old 02-01-2024, 01:09 PM   #26
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
The transmission used in this G29 Z4 is from the six speed Toyota Supra. Allegedly Toyota got their hands on it.

BMW Z4 M40i Gets the Same Six-Speed Manual From Toyota Supra: https://www.bmwblog.com/2024/01/30/b...-toyota-supra/

BTW, in the 15 miles plus that I drove my brother’s G87 M2 in mostly stop and go traffic I saw no issue with its shifter. Typical BMW in my opinion.
I’m just traumatized by my e90m3. Apologies, gents.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 01:10 PM   #27
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Quote:

Which Lemming is saying is not good in which I agree with him.

As for lemming's question, I think BMW designs their MT like this on purpose since they seem to always be the same
Old 02-01-2024, 01:14 PM   #28
SCA
Jaded

When we drove the six-speed manual Z4 M40i, we thought it was fantastic – a great balance of quickness and precision. Although it sometimes resembles a Porsche shifter more than a traditional BMW shifter in feel, it still offers a long third gear that provides plenty of headroom and allows you to build speed at a remarkable pace. Elsewhere on the web, you can see familiar praise for the manual Supra GR’s shifter – precise, narrow gates and an intuitive throw.

Make what you will of the above from the BMW Blog article.
Old 02-01-2024, 01:18 PM   #29
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
From C&D:

"It's the same transmission found in the Toyota GR Supra, but each has uniquely tuned linkages and bushings."

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a4...d%20Last%2030D
wdc330i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 01:21 PM   #30
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
From C&D:

"It's the same transmission found in the Toyota GR Supra, but each has uniquely tuned linkages and bushings."

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a4...d%20Last%2030D
yeah I saw that and made me worried they tuned it back to a "BMW" MT. Supra got good reviews like SCA has mentioned.