carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2018, 08:06 AM   #141
blee
Doctor Mudgeon
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 6,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
The original E46 M3 shocks were horribly valved for the car. Brand new, it uncomfortably crashed over road imperfections and they never seemed to be in sync with the springs. I think he off the self single adjustable Konis made a huge improvement to the point the car was comfortable. I remember driving Nick’s blue M3 down 895 one night when the suspension was completely stock and all I could think was “how can people say this is a great car?” When the Only thing different were the Konis, it was really nice.

Now that I’m thinkgonna Ng about it, maybe it wasn’t Konis, but some other brand. Hmm....
Interesting. I remember driving Nick's and JST's M3s when they were relatively fresh, but I don't remember that. I'm also curious to know why there are still some folks out there who insist that the OE parts are the best choice for this car. If I hadn't gone with coilovers, I would probably have gone with Konis and maybe Eibachs.

I continue to be impressed by the new suspension on my car. Even crappy roads feel better. It'll have around 40-50 miles on it by the time I get home tomorrow morning, which I think is enough to check the alignment and see if it's settled at all since installation.
blee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 08:17 AM   #142
John V
No more BMWs
 
John V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Carmudgeonly Ride: 987S, Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Location: Glenwood, MD
Posts: 12,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
The original E46 M3 shocks were horribly valved for the car. Brand new, it uncomfortably crashed over road imperfections and they never seemed to be in sync with the springs. I think he off the self single adjustable Konis made a huge improvement to the point the car was comfortable. I remember driving Nick’s blue M3 down 895 one night when the suspension was completely stock and all I could think was “how can people say this is a great car?”
I agree. The stock suspension really ruined that car for me.

They get so much better with good coilovers and more wheel / tire up front to eliminate the stagger.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 08:19 AM   #143
wdc330i
dogged
 
wdc330i's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: '17 M240i; '17 718 Boxster S; '16 X5 50i MSport
Posts: 6,874
I downsized the wheels and put on Michelin all seasons, which helped the ride a lot on my M3.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 10:56 AM   #144
blee
Doctor Mudgeon
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 6,411
Yeah, wheels and tires are somewhere on the list for me. Was thinking of an 18” square setup, but I have too much tread depth right now to think about it. Also, sounds like clearance can be an issue, and it had a lot to do with individual suspension and wheel /spacer choices. Lots to think about
blee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 12:33 PM   #145
wdc330i
dogged
 
wdc330i's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: '17 M240i; '17 718 Boxster S; '16 X5 50i MSport
Posts: 6,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee View Post
Yeah, wheels and tires are somewhere on the list for me. Was thinking of an 18” square setup, but I have too much tread depth right now to think about it. Also, sounds like clearance can be an issue, and it had a lot to do with individual suspension and wheel /spacer choices. Lots to think about
Hmm. I ran 17-inch M3 wheels. Square, as I recall. It came with the 19s.

Edit: They were M68s, specifically for winter M3 use:

Front 7.5J x 17 ET47 36 11 2 229 480
Rear 7.5J x 17 ET25 36 11 2 229 980
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 01:25 PM   #146
John V
No more BMWs
 
John V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Carmudgeonly Ride: 987S, Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Location: Glenwood, MD
Posts: 12,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee View Post
Yeah, wheels and tires are somewhere on the list for me. Was thinking of an 18” square setup, but I have too much tread depth right now to think about it. Also, sounds like clearance can be an issue, and it had a lot to do with individual suspension and wheel /spacer choices. Lots to think about
I seem to remember at least one of our local folks had 18x10s all around with 265-width tires and it resulted in a really well-balanced car.

Maybe not what you want for a street car though.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 11:38 PM   #147
clyde
Chief title editor
 
clyde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 22,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee View Post
Interesting. I remember driving Nick's and JST's M3s when they were relatively fresh, but I don't remember that. I'm also curious to know why there are still some folks out there who insist that the OE parts are the best choice for this car. If I hadn't gone with coilovers, I would probably have gone with Konis and maybe Eibachs.

I continue to be impressed by the new suspension on my car. Even crappy roads feel better. It'll have around 40-50 miles on it by the time I get home tomorrow morning, which I think is enough to check the alignment and see if it's settled at all since installation.
Whatever other people think doesn’t matter. It’s what feels good/right to you. Sounds like you’re happy with what you’ve done with your car. You made the right choices, then, right?
__________________
OH NOES!!!!!1 MY CAR HAS T3H UND3R5T33R5555!!!!!!1oneone!!!!11

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Forums © 2003-2008, 'Mudgeon Enterprises - Site hosting by AYN & Associates, LLC