carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 11-19-2012, 02:59 PM   #1
lupinsea
Jeeped

Carmudgeonly Ride: Modified Jeep Tj and '07 Miata
New 4x4 Trail Just Opened Near Monroe, WA

Ok, I realize this isn't a big deal to most of you but the Washington State Dept. of Natural Resources just had a grand opening for a new ORV park east of Monroe, WA. For decades guys have been wheel'n out in the woods out there and some of the local 4x4 groups had started working with the state to get it converted to an official ORV park. The DNR is very interested to move ahead with the project despite opposition from various green groups. The state agency wants to use it as a demonstration project to show how 4x4 trails and ORV areas can be sustainably built.

Mostly, this involves actually "building" the trails.

Yeah, they've have engineered specs, construction drawings, and a landscape architecture firm working on this. On one hand, I do this a lot as it seems to be ridiculously over the top for what are a bunch of dirt trails out in the woods. The DNR is worried about erosion (fair enough) and that the trails get too chewed up. . . which is what everyone who drives on them actually likes.

So they have been trying to officially plan and build Jeep trails.

November 17th was their grand opening of Reiter Foothills. They had a big motorbike loop trail set up and about 900 ft of a Jeep trail. While not very long at all I was quite impressed with the 4x4 trail. They had a bunch of large rocks staggered on either side of the trail and the trail was only wide enough that you basically had to drive on the rocks. There were pull-outs / wide spots about ever 300 ft so two-way traffic could pass eachother. And a nice mix pile of boulders for the rock buggies to crawl on (I actually drove over it in my Jeep with the help of a spotter).

Oh, and this is going to be the "easiest" trail in this system.

All future trails are designed to be a lot more difficult and challenging. Admittedly, if they get harder than this I won't be going on them as I bumped and scraped my Jeep up enough on this run. But I'm really jazzed they are developing a new ORV park and that it'll have some tough stuff for the buggy crowd.

Reiter Foothills - Grand Opening Album

A "general" or typical section of the trail.

The boulder pile challenge area.

Here is a better shot of what most of the trail is like.

Nathan came up with me. He had a good time running around
in the woods while all the rigs went back and forth on the new trail.

My Jeep going over the boulder pile. A friend
shot this pic with his cell phone.

"Jeep is the only true American sports car*" - Enzo Ferrari

* Or something to that effect.
lupinsea is offline   Reply With Quote