Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by zcasavant
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming
what happened with the brake install?

did it go well?

sorry i missed it --had to work and do some alma mater related stuff.
For those of you who aren't me, Fernando, or Lemming, I installed new rear calipers, rotors and pads this weekend at Fernando's house.

Only one trip to the dealership was required (for a sensor).

We encountered a problem in trying to remove the driver's side rear rotor but that was nothing a hammer couldn't solve. Incidentally, the E-brake now barely works. We must have screwed something up. Oops.

But the car goes and stops and I am no longer worried about starting a fire due to the heat caused by the seized caliper.

We took some pictures of the old parts. Hopefully, Fernando will post them at some point.
I sense this post will barely get any visibility, but still.

Zach, I forgot to mention... You probably want to "bed" your e-brake at least a bit. Cruise at 30mph and pull the ebrake gently as you ease off the gas. The the rotor surface making contact with your e-brake shoes still are coated with that oily crap.

Regardless, we may very well have tweaked your e-brake. Nothing an adjustment can't fix, IMO.

Does the brake pedal still feel spongy? I really hope we tightened all the lines well-enough. It surprises me that the pedal was spongy because the bleeding went picture-perfect.

Anyway, let us know. Hopefully the brakes were just faded due to the crazy bedding.

I just came in from a 4-hour power-washing session and I am exhausted. I'll upload the pics in a couple of hours.

OT: How on earth Nick works on his car on khakis is truly beyond me. Zach and I were filthy as can be.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote