carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 03-04-2021, 06:06 PM   #101
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
Looks great. Maybe look for a lease return in about 3-4 years...
For sure. If these live up to the EV promise of lower maintenance/repair costs maybe they wont be so $$$$ to own out of warranty.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 10:06 PM   #102
JST

Decent spec for 96 and change. Mamba green, fancy wheels, and PTTV.

PMKUD448

Interesting idea. Under 90 with the tax rebate. Huh.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 11:14 PM   #103
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post

PMKUD448

Devil: “Go buy it.”
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 09:44 AM   #104
robg
Carmudgeon

Base Taycan announced (RWD/80k). Anyone intrigued?

Quote:

PMKUD448

Ha was playing around with a similar config last night. When you factor in the lower running costs of an EV, I bet the total ownership costs of something like this woukd be similar to a macan s...

And I’m not usually one for bright colors but I really like that mamba green. Pretty cool that they offer it as a regular color choice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-05-2021, 09:53 AM   #105
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Ha was playing around with a similar config last night. When you factor in the lower running costs of an EV, I bet the total ownership costs of something like this woukd be similar to a macan s...

And I’m not usually one for bright colors but I really like that mamba green. Pretty cool that they offer it as a regular color choice

Green is probably a subtle (or in this case, not so subtle) market message...
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 10:18 AM   #106
JST

I like the burgundy/red too, and it's only $800.

I don't know--it's a car that sort of makes sense but at the same time I don't feel a whole lot of desire for one? Maybe I need to drive a Taycan to see how much better it is in terms of engagement than the Tesla.
Old 03-05-2021, 11:14 AM   #107
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
I like the burgundy/red too, and it's only $800.

I don't know--it's a car that sort of makes sense but at the same time I don't feel a whole lot of desire for one? Maybe I need to drive a Taycan to see how much better it is in terms of engagement than the Tesla.

Be curious to hear your impressions if you do test drive one. I plan to drive one at some point as well. Seems like most reviews have praised the steering and handling.

Atleast on paper, I’m actually more excited about this than any other sub 100k new car that’s come out in the past 10 years or so. It seems like the perfect do it all car. As a family that only has the space / need for one car that probably bumps it higher on my list than for someone who has multiple cars.

Old 03-05-2021, 11:29 AM   #108
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Be curious to hear your impressions if you do test drive one. I plan to drive one at some point as well. Seems like most reviews have praised the steering and handling.

Atleast on paper, I’m actually more excited about this than any other sub 100k new car that’s come out in the past 10 years or so. It seems like the perfect do it all car. As a family that only has the space / need for one car that probably bumps it higher on my list than for someone who has multiple cars.

My big hesitation--other than cost--is range. There's a lot of gamesmanship when it comes to range figures, and everyone knows that Tesla's range numbers (while EPA compliant) are...optimistic. Nevertheless, I still don't have a good sense of how Porsche's range estimates translate to the real world.

C/D does a 75 mph range test which is moderately illuminating, but it doesn't look like they have any sort of correction for weather, which is really problematic given how much that can impact range. Still, according to C/D their 2019 Tesla Model 3 had a 237 mile range, whereas the Taycan 4S was under 200--in fact, it was 180, which is really a lot less than the Model 3.

If the Taycan really is returning less than 200 miles of range, that could significantly impact my ability to use it as a NYC --> DC travel car, which is part of the car's whole use case. So, IDK. Need to think about that some.

EDIT: Tesla https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...y-maintenance/

Taycan https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...-range-tested/
Old 03-05-2021, 11:43 AM   #109
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
If the Taycan really is returning less than 200 miles of range, that could significantly impact my ability to use it as a NYC --> DC travel car, which is part of the car's whole use case. So, IDK. Need to think about that some.
I agree. For practical reasons, and given the asking price, I'd want 200+ miles of real, highway range at normal temperatures.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 01:15 PM   #110
robg
Carmudgeon

So that c&d article on the Tesla says their fuel range was 237 for that period but doesn’t mention the 75mph test results (as far as I can tell). Found this article that mentions the results (for their 75 mph test) they got for a 2018 model 3 was 200 miles?

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...3-test-review/

The taycan they tested was on 21” wheels so that could easily account for the difference.

Anyway on DC run woukd you really be able to average anything close to 75mph?

Fwiw, this guy (Tesla bjorn) got 264 miles in his 120km/hr range test on a 4s equipped with the 19s. He only got 243 miles on a Tesla model 3 performance on 18s. Point being it’s probably too close to call to say that either one is definitively better in terms of range

https://youtu.be/VB24iJbusgQ

Last edited by robg; 03-05-2021 at 01:33 PM.