carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 07-14-2020, 12:31 PM   #101
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Don't we expect the Ford to handle better than the Jeep, as well?

yes that is what I said above, a bit better better on the road with the IFS. Still a body on frame SUV with solid rear axle.
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 12:31 PM   #102
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
It is actually one of the few true off-road capable SUVs. Driving around the mall is pretty dumb with it but should be a bit better then a wrangler.

I probably wouldn't care about it if I lived on the east coast because of the terrain there.
For sure. Just saying that the reality is most people who buy this will do so for the style and not for the capability. Same thing goes for the wrangler though.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 12:35 PM   #103
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
I guess I'm the only one yawning? There's nothing about that seems wrong or bad or anything like that. Just zero appeal. But it seems like general reactions have been overwhelmingly beyond positive. So, clearly, what we see so far from the reveal is right on target.

I'm also left wondering what percentage of people buying them will ever use them in the manner the lifestyle marketing is selling? More than once or twice a year?

I just get a little confused when everyone is gaga over something to the point it feels like I'm missing something. Despite having had my own off road adventures (some of the most memorable being in a topless Bronco), the whole off road thing has never really registered with me.
It might also have to do with age. I bought a 91 2 door Exploder 5 speed manual when they first came out. It spent a lot of time off road, I even had a rattlesnake strike the sidewall once on a trail in the Pocono's. Then I got a 4 door autotragic Exploder. It saw some time on the beach in NJ (fishing) and I got a federal ticket with it on Chincoteague Island for not have the correct off road pass.

Here in SC there are some great off road area's but at my age I have no desire to explore any of them.

I also have a much harder time getting into and out of a Wrangler than I did 30 years ago. I doubt the new Bronco would be any easier for me.
Old 07-14-2020, 01:51 PM   #104
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
That said, my LR4 already has FAR more capability than I'd ever use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
But honestly most vehicles are overly capable for what people actually use them for. If you're going to get a crossover or SUV as your daily driver it might as well look good.
The LR4 is a decent, comfy on road vehicle. I'd imagine it's a relatively quiet cruiser as well.

Tires that look the part on the Bronco are going to noisily take a lot of wind out that sail. Tires that don't look the part on the Bronco will make it look silly.

Thanks to everyone for sharing your thoughts. I get the Bronco looks good and fun. Hopefully, this retro take will be more durable than most of the retro takes in the past 15-20 years on other vehicles and not just seem cool for a year or two.

Has anyone made an comparisons to the Toyota FJ? My understanding is that it was reasonably capable off road and much of what everyone said above could have been said about it when it was first introduced. It sold well its first two years, took a big hit its third year, and fell off the cliff in its fourth. That fall coincided with the recession, but sales didn't really recover at all during its five remaining years. On the other hand, once they stopped selling them here, the in-use ones stopped depreciating and it was hard to buy a used one for less than its news price for a few more years.

I don't know. It's just all weird to me.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 01:53 PM   #105
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Tires that look the part on the Bronco are going to noisily take a lot of wind out that sail. Tires that don't look the part on the Bronco will make it look silly.
This is true.

As for the FJ, sure. But it was more limited in options (doors & roofs) and styling was a bit more controversial. Good point though.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 02:00 PM   #106
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
You can still buy a FJ in the UAE

https://www.toyota.ae/new-cars/fj-cruiser/

But yeah FJ would of been a better competitor to the Bronco then the 4runner.
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 03:41 PM   #107
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
I love/hate the JL. It’s just terrible dynamically. But it’s also a riot.

What else did I cross shop?

E350 wagon
JGC Summit

I thought the E wagon would be more of a pain in the ass than the E60 wagon was for out of pocket down the line.

The JGC doesn’t use space as efficiently as the JL and the 2018+ interior is as nice.

I hate the V6 as Nick has pointed out. But it is a full log better with the new 8speed compared to the boat anchor 5speed.

And here we are.

I like the new Bronco. It appeals to me for sure. I’d just never own a Ford product because that’s how I’m wired.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 04:19 PM   #108
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Older Land Cruser FJ's are very good off road

And they are valuable if in good to very good shape. Just look at BAT history

https://bringatrailer.com/toyota/fj40/
Old 07-14-2020, 04:26 PM   #109
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
2021 Ford Bronco First Edition reservations sell out, Bronco website 'stampeded'

I guess it's working.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 08:59 PM   #110
JST

The critique that the Bronco is a flash in the pan retro product is valid...but then again the Bronco is a far more serious effort to directly target the Wrangler than the FJ Cruiser was. The top issue is really critical; I think a lot of ppl buy wranglers not to go off road but because they are convertibles.

I like the Bronco. I like the way it looks and I appreciate the idea that I could take the roof off. I’d like a 2 door, so the fact that that doesn’t come in a soft top isn’t appealing, but I’m curious about how the “modular” top works.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote