carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 03-20-2021, 05:57 PM   #131
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
4cyl or i6? Let me know how you like it. We are 99% in the e wagon for our next car, but the 1% remains next x3 m40
Fyi, there is a pretty major lci comkng on the x3s in July if you can wait.
It’s the 4 cylinder, the lci starts with July production correct which means delivery in September or is it delivery in July ?

My brother has the 2020 X3 M40, he had the Audi SQ5 before it and he was really happy with both.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 06:07 PM   #132
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
It’s the 4 cylinder, the lci starts with July production correct which means delivery in September or is it delivery in July ?

My brother has the 2020 X3 M40, he had the Audi SQ5 before it and he was really happy with both.
Just called my salesman, he said July Production for September delivery so that wouldn't work for us but thanks for the heads up I remember reading something about that.
Old 03-20-2021, 06:52 PM   #133
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
Quote:
Just called my salesman, he said July Production for September delivery so that wouldn't work for us but thanks for the heads up I remember reading something about that.

An X3 will get to a dealer on east coast within a 1-2 weeks of when it’s built. There is some delay around beginning of model year due to EPA certification but even accounting for that, no way an X3 made in July shows up in September.
Old 03-20-2021, 07:51 PM   #134
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL View Post
An X3 will get to a dealer on east coast within a 1-2 weeks of when it’s built. There is some delay around beginning of model year due to EPA certification but even accounting for that, no way an X3 made in July shows up in September.
So if ordered in July when does it come in ?
Old 03-20-2021, 08:49 PM   #135
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
So if ordered in July when does it come in ?
Semiconductor availability notwithstanding...

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 09:21 PM   #136
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Semiconductor availability notwithstanding...

Last edited by Alan; 03-21-2021 at 04:05 AM.
Old 03-20-2021, 10:23 PM   #137
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
It’s been a crazy year, and everything seems delayed, for a myriad of reasons—factory shutdowns, parts disruptions, shipping problems, etc. But the chip thing is real and hitting everything from appliances to cars.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 02:38 PM   #138
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
It’s been a crazy year, and everything seems delayed, for a myriad of reasons—factory shutdowns, parts disruptions, shipping problems, etc. But the chip thing is real and hitting everything from appliances to cars.
I've been through this twice and you are absolutely right, the M340 had the order accepted, then cancelled then accepted then delayed, it was crazy, then the M550 took over 3 months and watching the production was like watching grass grow ... anyway I will put the order in on Monday and see what happens.

My brother just put an order in 2 weeks ago for his wife who is replacing her X5 with the new model and was told the Harmon Kardon option is not available so he had to do a locate, I would have just gone without it.
Old 05-14-2021, 10:01 PM   #139
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
I'm looking for another $4k beater for my kids. The idea is to have one by UMD finals in mid-May. Wish I could just clone the 2008 Accord I bought last January.
I found an Accord last Friday on FB Marketplace, but was out of town and I couldn't talk the guy into not selling it before I got back two days later and it sold.

Yesterday, I found a 2004 base spec (or nearly so) 5 speed manual 325i on FB Marketplace. 107k miles and the photos looked like it was in decent shape. Asking price was $4200, which seemed reasonable?

I saw and drove it this afternoon and it may have actually been cleaner than the photos suggested. It's not perfect, but seems really nice.

There's a bit of a clunk in the rear over sharp bumps. I guess worst case it could be cracks or tearing at the subframe mount, but I'm choosing to believe it will be more benign, like end links. The shocks/struts may be a little tired, but I didn't see any leakage. It probably "needs" most/all new bushings, too, but not enough for someone not sensitive to it to feel like it's a problem. The tires have enough tread, but one has a little gouge on the sidewall which probably means it will need to be replaced to pass MD inspection. If I have to do one, I may as well do all four.

I bought a Carfax for it shows a combination of good maintenance from August 2008 on...as well as something I don't quite understand. The car was originally sold in November 2003 as a personal lease in Florida. It then shows it being sold to a dealer in Miami with 27,360 miles on it. In April 2004. So, that's weird, right? Unless it was a fat fingered typo that should have been 2736.0? The next entry with mileage is three years later at 27,990, which would be nothing eye raising if it represented 25k over 3 years as opposed to an also weird 600 miles over three years. Then, it stops being weird with owner #3 who bought it in August 2008. Looks like they drove it about 14k/year for the first two years, then dropped to about 6k/year for the next seven years, and then down to 500/year over the past four years.

The guy told me it might not start up without a jump because it's been sitting a lot and it needed a jump pack to start. Once hooked up, it started right up. It was cold and I didn't see any signs of smoke. I forgot just how smooth the M54 is. Clutch was just as totally numb as I remember. Aside from the clunk and feeling just little bit less sharp than brand new, it drove great.

Interior is that sand color and I think it's leatherette because I cannot believe that leather could hold up so well. The headliner is sagging a bit and the a-arm coverings need to be re-glued/replaced. The shifter boot is faded compared to the other sand color items and has a small hole. The armrest has some unslightly wear (but nothing compared to the wear in 80% of the Accords I've seen), but beyond that, the interior looks great. Like just enough wear to not look weirdly new, but does not look old, either. It's also really clean looking.

I'm not sure if it's Orient Blue or Mystic Blue (I think Orient, but not positive). For a 17 year old car that wasn't put on a pedestal, I think the paint is pretty good shape. Some scratches and such, but definitely in better shape than the paint on my wagon when we sold it at nine years.

Engine compartment also looked pretty clean. Maybe garged most of it's life? There was some fresh plant detritus/pollen related things, but not any more than I'd expect for a car that's been outside for more than a few weeks. I didn't notice any leaks, although the hose off the power steering fluid reservoir (or was it from the oil filter? I forget) had a spot that looked it had been handled or had fluid/oil on it recently compared to the rest of the line.

Under the car, the only rust I noticed was was seemed to be a little surface rust on the bottom of the rear subframe. I had totally forgotten about the issues with cracking/tearing around the rear subframe mounts, so I didn't try to look closely. Now that I do remember, the rear clunking has me a bit feeling a bit more nervous, but oh well.

We quickly agreed on a $3800 price. Tomorrow morning, I'll go to the bank, meet the guy to get the title and keys (he has two, which is nice), and then go waste $175ish(?) at a tag and title place since the next available MVA appointment is in June.

Hopefully, the clunk isn't subframe mounts and it won't need much/anything to pass MD inspection.

This will be interesting.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 10:19 PM   #140
JST

Nice. I don’t think the subframe issues were that big a deal on low power E46s, were they?

Anyway seems like a good deal. Should be kind of interesting doing the work on the suspension if you decide to do that.

Probably should do the radiator/water pump, yeah?
JST is online now   Reply With Quote