carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-25-2021, 01:44 PM   #1
robg
Carmudgeon

Base Taycan announced (RWD/80k). Anyone intrigued?

Happened to see this on some feed I subscribed to from car and driver:
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...del-announced/

I hadn't really paid much attention to this car given the nosebleed prices of the versions that are out currently. 80k is still a ton of money, but it atleast caused me to go down the rabbit hole of configurators and research.

I have to say I'm pretty intrigued by this car-- love the way it looks (they've finally captured the look of a 4 door 911 imo), and by all accounts its amazing to drive. The low range that's been adverstised (~200 EPA iirc) is apparently very conservative and C&D some test where they found that a taycan turbo and model s performance were only about 10 miles apart in real world range or something. Plus as more high speed chargers are deployed, it'll be capable of charging from 5-80% in like 20 minutes or so. Kind of disappointing that its not a hatchback and it does seem to be pretty cramped given the size of the car (its about the size of a 5 series). The over reliance on touch screens is also a bit annoying (including the air vents!!).

Overall, I like the idea of a Porsche that a) looks great b) drives great c) has potentially much lower running costs than typical Porsches. As for the price, it's easy to add 15k of options just to get the stuff you'd assume was standard (typical), but it is eligible for 7.5k tax credit, plus its not some super rare GT car where you can't negotiate. Anyway, its been a fun rabbit hole to go down.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote