carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 11-05-2020, 01:23 PM   #1461
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Unfortunately, I'm better at math than I am at lying to myself.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 01:33 PM   #1462
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 03:04 PM   #1463
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
I've spent enough time doing racer math with this guy to confirm this statement.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 05:18 PM   #1464
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
The novelty of the acceleration wears off pretty fast.
This is very interesting that it you say it wears off so quickly, kind of makes me think if it were used as a 2nd or 3rd car it might retain that shit ass grin fun I felt ...

I know when I drive the 911 3 days in a row I am a little tortured, all off a sudden that loud engine is annoying, the hard ride on times I am tired just isn't fun but being I drive it every now and then the fun factor is still there.

When you say you've driven so many Tesla's is this on a track ? How are you able to drive so many different cars ?
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 05:20 PM   #1465
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
I've spent enough time doing racer math with this guy to confirm this statement.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 05:28 PM   #1466
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
This is very interesting that it you say it wears off so quickly, kind of makes me think if it were used as a 2nd or 3rd car it might retain that shit ass grin fun I felt ...

I know when I drive the 911 3 days in a row I am a little tortured, all off a sudden that loud engine is annoying, the hard ride on times I am tired just isn't fun but being I drive it every now and then the fun factor is still there.

When you say you've driven so many Tesla's is this on a track ? How are you able to drive so many different cars ?
Novelty in anything and everything wears off; that's the nature of novelty. But JV's right, the utility of the Tesla's performance in commuting is amazing, and that never gets old. The other thing about the Tesla and commuting is the lack of noise and vibration. Even really smooth piston engine cars aren't smooth compared to an EV, and when you're sitting in traffic, the difference is meaningful.

And boy, the Model 3 is fast as hell, especially in Performance trim.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 06:11 PM   #1467
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
I really kind of hate the interior, but that kind of thing I typically get used to (I hated the interior in the Mazdaspeed as well, but 204,000 miles later it doesn't bother me ). Oddly the exterior styling of the 3 has grown on me.

At this point I think the only reason I don't own one is cost. I love having no car payments and a big deposit into the investment account every week.
Feel the same way. It's definitely very dependent on color/wheels for me. I'll look at a plain one with the base wheels in, say, black and it just looks kinda boring and generic. But I walked by one in red with the nicer wheels and did a double take at how good it looked. Some cars definitey seem built better than others which factors in as well; on some the chrome pieces dont line up at all and the gaps are noticeably big. Others looks tight and well built. I suppose that can be true of any car but for some reason I really notice it w/ the Model 3. When it first came out I didn't like the front-end, but i've gotten used to it now and dont mind it.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 09:08 PM   #1468
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
At this point I think the only reason I don't own one is cost. I love having no car payments and a big deposit into the investment account every week.
I have one and also love having no car payment!
Old 11-05-2020, 09:11 PM   #1469
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
I really need to drive a model 3 (or, you know, not). Having driven multiple Model S's, I'm a "nah" on that.

I'm told that the 3 is much more playful with vastly improved chassis tuning. I think a RWD version with the "track mode" stability control programming would be pretty perfecto.

... aside from the cost.
The 3 makes the S feel like a fat pig...

When I got the 3, I didn’t sell the S for a few days. When I got in the S to take it to take it to CarMax after driving only the 3 for a couple days, the S felt really old, big and heavy...
Old 11-05-2020, 10:16 PM   #1470
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post

And boy, the Model 3 is fast as hell, especially in Performance trim.
Is this the model you went with ?

If so isn’t that one equipped with a sportier suspension ? How is the ride ... I found the middle model really good, not too harsh and held the road well, just wondering if the sportier suspension was as livable.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote