carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 06-10-2023, 03:28 PM   #41
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
The US taxpayer should never have subsidized a single manufacturer's proprietary charging system. If there were a generally accepted standard, that's a different discussion.

And of course there is the whole one BEV = many many Hybrids calculation. In terms of battery resources and carbon footprint, that is hard to argue against. But I know there are many on this board that directly benefit from having a BEV or having stock in a BEV, so everyone will talk their book.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 07:00 PM   #42
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
The US taxpayer should never have subsidized a single manufacturer's proprietary charging system. If there were a generally accepted standard, that's a different discussion.

And of course there is the whole one BEV = many many Hybrids calculation. In terms of battery resources and carbon footprint, that is hard to argue against. But I know there are many on this board that directly benefit from having a BEV or having stock in a BEV, so everyone will talk their book.
I think you missed the part where several of us said we dumped our Tesla stock in protest. I suppose there are other BEVs to invest in as well.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 09:32 PM   #43
JST

Yeah I don’t own Tesla stock anymore. Haven’t for a while.

I do have some Ford still, but it’s not a material holding.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 08:49 AM   #44
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
I dumped my measly ab=mount of Ford stock, too.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 06:26 PM   #45
robg
Carmudgeon

Long but interesting thread about this whole NACS thing over on the taycan forum:
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/th...article.16096/

One of the guys on there seems super knowledgable about this whole thing. A few interesting insights:
1. This really just boils down to changing the connector from the CCS1 style to the Tesla style. The actual communication protocol between the superchargers and a non-Tesla will remain CCS.
2. But, the CCS1 connector is likely one of the main causes of CCS istations in the US being down so often. With the latch on the cable side, they often break and are costly to repair. It's not economically viable to replace them as often as they break, so CCS network providers often just leave them broken (or replace them on a set schedule rather than immediatley after they break). CCS2 connectors dont have this problem nor do NACS connectors.

So had we adopted the CCS2 standard here, things might not have gotten this bad.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 08:14 PM   #46
JST

That’s a great thread. Really interesting insights there into NACS and the problems with CCS 1 latches.
Old 06-13-2023, 07:27 AM   #47
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Long but interesting thread about this whole NACS thing over on the taycan forum:
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/th...article.16096/

One of the guys on there seems super knowledgable about this whole thing. A few interesting insights:
1. This really just boils down to changing the connector from the CCS1 style to the Tesla style. The actual communication protocol between the superchargers and a non-Tesla will remain CCS.
2. But, the CCS1 connector is likely one of the main causes of CCS istations in the US being down so often. With the latch on the cable side, they often break and are costly to repair. It's not economically viable to replace them as often as they break, so CCS network providers often just leave them broken (or replace them on a set schedule rather than immediatley after they break). CCS2 connectors dont have this problem nor do NACS connectors.

So had we adopted the CCS2 standard here, things might not have gotten this bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
That’s a great thread. Really interesting insights there into NACS and the problems with CCS 1 latches.
Thanks for posting Rob...

This post in particular is great with a lot of detail: https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/th...96/post-247525

My understanding is that Tesla based their protocols off the J1772 and CCS standards -- all the electrical and most of the car communication. That post talks about Teslas being bilingual, but I see it more as slightly different dialects. He mentions that all Teslas since 2020 have CCS compatibility -- and that is true. My wife's Y was delivered in June 2020 and has it. My mom's 3 was delivered in Dec 2019 and does not have it -- so the updated charging module was rolled out some time in the first half of 2020. I've replaced the module in my car, so I can use the CCS adapter if needed (I've always been a fan of having more charging options...).

Also worth noting is that the Tesla to CCS adapters (either direction...) are passive -- just passing electrical connections. The older Tesla to CHAdeMO adapter (which I also have -- although its in my Mom's car in Idaho...) is larger and is an active connector. It has to translate the language between the 2 specs. That adapter came in handy a few times on road trips, so I'm glad I had it. But the passive CCS adapter is much better...

As for latches, CCS1 uses the same lever-style latch as J1772. Always been a weak point on those...
Old 06-20-2023, 09:33 AM   #48
JST

Dominoes keep falling. https://www.reuters.com/business/aut...rd-2023-06-20/
Old 06-20-2023, 05:38 PM   #49
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
And Hyundai said they will consider it based on customer views. That just leaves the Europeans and Japanese…

Then Lucid said not until megawatt charging is supported
Old 06-27-2023, 08:44 AM   #50
dan
redefined

Quote:
https://electrek.co/2023/06/27/charg...ns-tesla-nacs/