carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 06-13-2017, 03:01 PM   #201
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Ugh, turbo Camaro. Take the one interesting thing about the Camaro, bin it, and replace it with the extraordinarily boring GM 2.0 liter turbo?

I mean. It might make sense for autocross, but Jesus, the rest of the time it will be like buying a condom with a hole in it.

Old 06-13-2017, 03:05 PM   #202
ff

Quote:
Buy the V8.
Will it go around corners with the V8 in it?
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 03:05 PM   #203
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Have you talked to Mark Scroggs to see what he thinks about the turbo car? I don't think he's exactly been dominant in it, and he's Mark. I feel like he could do well in a car that wasn't really the best. Not saying that's the case with the turbo Camaro but you should probably ask him.

There is something to be said for saving twenty grand when it comes to marital bliss and being able to spend some of that money to travel to events, pay for hotel rooms and meals out, buy tires, a sway bar, shocks, etc. And I have to imagine the consumables will be cheaper on the turbo four car than on the V8 car. And if you're going to daily drive it, the turbo four has to get better fuel economy and be cheaper to insure...?

Then again, V8 noises. And maybe if you buy the V8 version you can convince a certain V8 loving, on-and-off-autocross-loving co-driver to join you. Which, y'know, saves money. Sorta.

If he can see out of the thing.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 03:06 PM   #204
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Quote:
Do they at least offer gold so you can pretend to be Rockford?
They still have an actual handbrake though, hopefully, for the required weekly handbrake u-turn on PCH.
Old 06-13-2017, 03:25 PM   #205
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 03:44 PM   #206
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaz View Post
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 06:38 PM   #207
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
That blue color is pretty hot though.
It is. And that's why 80% of the ones I've seen are that color. :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
I saw one in that green the other day, wasn't sure if it was a factory color or a wrap.
It's being discontinued after 2017 production ends. I'd get it for sure if I wasn't afraid about making it harder to sell later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggins View Post
It has to be that green!

I guess I understand the car purchase for a specific purpose/autox class since my car has fallen out of favor. If you can really get a turbo for $18k, I'd say do it. There will still be V8s for sale a year or two after you've had the turbo?
I can see myself potentially trading in less than a year and taking the hit to fix it. I don't think the hit would be that big if I time the original buy well.

Quote:
Can you really get a Camaro (even a rental edition turbo) for 18K? I guess if you can that's compelling, though also it probably will feel like something from Hertz most of the time.

Buy the V8. Run it in whatever class it's in. Have fun.
I can't buy one for $18k today (without stacking incentives I don't qualify for), but I honestly believe it will be possible in late September and October.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
Have you talked to Mark Scroggs to see what he thinks about the turbo car? I don't think he's exactly been dominant in it, and he's Mark. I feel like he could do well in a car that wasn't really the best. Not saying that's the case with the turbo Camaro but you should probably ask him.

There is something to be said for saving twenty grand when it comes to marital bliss and being able to spend some of that money to travel to events, pay for hotel rooms and meals out, buy tires, a sway bar, shocks, etc. And I have to imagine the consumables will be cheaper on the turbo four car than on the V8 car. And if you're going to daily drive it, the turbo four has to get better fuel economy and be cheaper to insure...?

Then again, V8 noises. And maybe if you buy the V8 version you can convince a certain V8 loving, on-and-off-autocross-loving co-driver to join you. Which, y'know, saves money. Sorta.

Looking at results, he's been doing well enough to make it look like a great car fr the new DS. Maybe even better than it should be. I wish there were more 6th gen cars competing. I wonder if either of the 1LEs are good enough to run in their classes. It's really whether I'm screwing myself buying a 1LE and being dominated in AS because of car choice, or having a reasonable chance in DS if I drive well. Also, whether the 1SS non-1LE will continue to be good for FS after the 18 Mustang is here.

I haven't talked to Mark, yet. I'm trying to figure out my questions.

The dealer installed question may also matter given how GM is relying on dealers to do some final assembly on LPO options. Whether the 1LE may move under the 12 month rule is also something. Also wondering what his opinion is about whether the turbo Camaro will hold its own against the 18 EB Mustang. Etc.

I won't be driving enough for fuel to matter much. Insurance difference will likely be enough to be noticeable, but being old, married, etc will probably keep my rate down..at least until I have teenage driver in the house next year. Tires slightly better costwise for the turbo, but meh.

I was texting someone during my work shifts about next year. Related...How did I not discover working impound earlier?

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 06:39 PM   #208
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff View Post
Will it go around corners with the V8 in it?
Incredibly well. Especially with the magic Corvette eDif that's part of the 1LE package.

It's not your beer guzzling stoner redneck older brother's buddy's Camaro.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 06-13-2017, 10:20 PM   #209
Biggins
Crotchety

Carmudgeonly Ride: 22 Tiguan, 11 328i
What about the ATS with a manual? I don't love them, but I keep reading how they're not selling either. I think you can get them with Brembos and other fancy stuff. A neighbor got a sedan and it's okay, not too huge of a car.
Biggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 11:09 PM   #210
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggins View Post
What about the ATS with a manual? I don't love them, but I keep reading how they're not selling either. I think you can get them with Brembos and other fancy stuff. A neighbor got a sedan and it's okay, not too huge of a car.
Because I could get a V8 Camaro for what the turbo four ATS would run. Dunno if GM will offer similar incentives his fall. And the ATS performance suspension is a dealer installed option, so not legal at the moment.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?