carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 04-13-2022, 03:13 AM   #221
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan View Post
Also, I had no idea watching my second child drive away by himself for the first time would make me such a wreck. This shit is hard.
The first time they drive away is scary as shit, the second time isn’t so great either but I’ve been through this 3 times, my biggest thing with my kids is we are going to talk and they are going to call me and keep in touch if anything goes wrong.

Meanwhile it is still so stressful … my youngest has been driving for 10 months and it still stresses me out though it is getting a little bit better.

Hang in there Dan.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 07:05 AM   #222
dan
redefined

I’m not even talking about being scared for their safety. I’m more talking about the end of their reliance on me and their impending flying of the coop. It struck me all at once watching him drive away from me.
Old 04-13-2022, 07:27 AM   #223
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
I’m not even talking about being scared for their safety. I’m more talking about the end of their reliance on me and their impending flying of the coop. It struck me all at once watching him drive away from me.
That’s how I read it. You don’t often hear about the empty nest feelings of guys, but certainly it happens.

Of course, I will also be one of those parents who stays up worrying until my kid gets home safely.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 08:20 AM   #224
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
The end of total reliance morphs into a support and guidance model that is nothing to sneeze at.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 08:30 AM   #225
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
End of reliance on you ?? Don’t worry that never happens. I’ve got kids ranging from age 17 to 24 … we are all still constantly together and between my wife and I we hear about every problem they have and we always hear about how their day went. We still have dinner together as a family every night during the week.

Sometimes I tell my wife, these kids are never moving out, I think I figured out the solution, my wife and I get another home and leave them in our house in NY but the prices in Florida are still ridiculous
Old 04-13-2022, 08:43 AM   #226
dan
redefined

Well, that's not going to happen when they leave for college

And I certainly would not hope that they move back in after college
Old 04-13-2022, 09:13 AM   #227
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Well, that's not going to happen when they leave for college

And I certainly would not hope that they move back in after college
Lol that is too funny of course they are moving back in.

But don’t worry spending your money on college is just another step, you still have weddings and down payment on houses to pay for … it never ends
Old 04-13-2022, 09:29 AM   #228
dan
redefined

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Lol that is too funny of course they are moving back in.

But don’t worry spending your money on college is just another step, you still have weddings and down payment on houses to pay for … it never ends
Alan, let me just say that your experiences and expectations as a parent are vastly different than mine.