carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 06-18-2013, 06:40 AM   #211
JST

"3G" and LTE are actually quite different, and just as technically incompatible as digital and analog (e.g., different antennas are needed for both the sender and receiver). Precisely how they differ depends on the carrier. For AT&T, "3G" (and "4G") are GSM technologies, which use TDMA, while LTE is fundamentally a CDMA technology.

I agree that 3G is likely to be around for a while, and since the carriers are putting up dual mode antennas they aren't likely to switch off the GSM (or, in Verizon and Sprint's case, CDMA) networks any time soon. Eventually, though, the need for spectrum capacity is going to require shutting off the obsolete networks in favor of more LTE capacity. We aren't talking about 2 or 5 years, but 10 or 12 years from now? Maybe.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:19 AM   #212
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
From Wikipedia on LTE:
Quote:
LTE, an initialism of long-term evolution, marketed as 4G LTE, is a standard for wireless communication of high-speed data for mobile phones and data terminals. It is based on the GSM/EDGE and UMTS/HSPA network technologies, increasing the capacity and speed using a different radio interface together with core network improvements.[1][2] The standard is developed by the 3GPP (3rd Generation Partnership Project) and is specified in its Release 8 document series, with minor enhancements described in Release 9.
LTE and 3G data are quite similar. Voice is handled differently on both standards -- but the Tesla is only a data connection...
Old 06-18-2013, 09:27 AM   #213
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
From Wikipedia on LTE:

LTE and 3G data are quite similar. Voice is handled differently on both standards -- but the Tesla is only a data connection...
From the same article:

Quote:
The LTE wireless interface is incompatible with 2G and 3G networks, so that it must be operated on a separate wireless spectrum.
You're right, though--I had a brain fart on UMTS, which is already CDMA. But from a customer device standpoint, 3G hardware isn't going to be able to work in an LTE-only world.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:58 AM   #214
ZBB
Relic

Thanks for the clarification...

But its a future problem to worry about. I think at a minimum Tesla would be able to allow an LTE USB stick for future proofing... The car also has wifi, although its currently disabled -- so wifi tethering may also be a future proof solution...
Old 06-21-2013, 09:51 AM   #215
ZBB
Relic

So... the odometer went over 1000 miles yesterday -- ended at 1008. It had 18 at delivery, So I'll have put on 1k miles in just over 2 weeks. The Tesla has become our family car...

Thoughts so far:
- Its overall a great car
- Its big -- takes a bit of getting used to compared to the Boxster
- I love the big screen and info. Its becoming very natural to use
- One-foot driving is very cool. I mostly use the brake to stop from ~5mph at red lights, if I need to slow down quickly (when cut off, etc), or to tap cruise control off. I'm still learning the deceleration distances -- not quite getting it right (either a bit too early, sometimes too late, so have to brake).
- Plugging in every night is easy. Takes a couple seconds to plug in and then unplug in the morning.
- Public charging works -- we've used it twice. $5 total cost to add ~90 miles total range. Its strange to go shopping for ~2 hours and come back to a car with more fuel than when you left the house... Probably won't use public chargers much, but good to know they are there.
- I'm still fussing with the seat. The bottom is lacking good bolstering -- so coming from the Porsche, Mini and BMW, I don't feel right especially during cornering. I'm also having a hard time finding the right settings to be comfortable. I'm trying a bit higher setting to see if that is better (it was yesterday)...
Old 06-21-2013, 10:58 AM   #216
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
One-foot driving is very cool.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:11 AM   #217
kognito
older fart than ZBB

I saw one coming toward me the other day on a nice, twisty road near my home.

Those front LED array lights under the headlight area look cool when coming towards you. Even my wife said "Oh, what the heck is that!" She also thought it looked sharp
Old 06-21-2013, 11:17 AM   #218
ZBB
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaz View Post
Correction -- I should have said "one pedal driving" not "one foot".

Just using the accelerator to control the car is better than accelerator/clutch/shifter coordination. Imagine the feeling of a 6 (or 5) to 3 downshift and allowing engine braking -- but without having to downshift.

The brakes on this car should last forever. I rarely touch the brake unless coming to a full stop or in more reactive situations. Turning onto a side street for example takes no braking -- regen alone slows the car down enough to enter the corner and complete the turn successfully... The only thing I'm still getting used to is the exact timing of when to let regen do its thing -- its a little softer than actual braking, but not much...
Old 06-21-2013, 11:24 AM   #219
ZBB
Relic

Figured I'd comment on reactions the car gets:
  • I've had a couple people stop me in the garage at work to ask about it.
  • We had parked at a restaurant a couple days into ownership and a guy walking by as we got out of the car said "now that's a neat car..."
  • A woman passenger in a Range Rover Evoque that pulled up next to me at a stop light was going nuts -- basically she turned in my direction and started yelling something at me while giving two thumbs up (but didn't put the window down).
  • I passed a guy in a VW Golf -- he rolled his window down and gave me a thumbs up as I passed...
  • A guy in a Toyoburu was behind me at a light and pulled his iPhone out to take a pic.

The last 3 items just happened Wed afternoon and yesterday.

Last edited by ZBB; 06-21-2013 at 12:50 PM.
ZBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:13 PM   #220
GimpyMcFarlan
Confused

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2013 X3 Gray/Mojave
Tesla demonstrates 90-second battery swap...

http://usat.ly/124Hp7u