carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 04-23-2013, 09:02 AM   #91
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
So..are you proceeding with the order as is?
Yep... Current status shows as "the Tesla Factory is building your Model S."

I'm supposed to get the next notification about a month before delivery -- when the paperwork process starts.

I may get the car by early to mid June. Noticed someone on the Tesla forum that ordered a car with similar specs about 2 weeks before me and already has a delivery window in mid-May...
Old 04-23-2013, 10:01 AM   #92
TD
Founder emeritus

I keep forgetting to post this, but I noticed a few weeks ago that a building in an industrial park not far from our house (<1 mi) has a large Testa logo on it with the word "Service" after it. I haven't looked into it to see if it's actually where one of the service groups is based, but it's what I'm assuming.

EDIT- Looked it up- http://www.teslamotors.com/service/rockville

And it's officially 1.2 mi from my house.

I really need to get a Tesla. This is a sign.

EDIT 2- This might explain why I've been seeing Teslas more or less daily lately.

Last edited by TD; 04-23-2013 at 10:29 AM.
TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:57 AM   #93
ZBB
Relic

TD - you need to go for a test drive...

As for service, the Arizona service center is not yet open. Supposedly opening soon though...
Old 04-25-2013, 10:25 PM   #94
ZBB
Relic

Well... I took the first step towards selling the Boxster today. I paid the loan off -- so the lien will be released by Monday and I should have the title 2-3 weeks later.

I figured this would make a private party sale much simpler. Fallback will be CarMax, although I will also look at Tesla's trade-in program with Auto Nation (which is apparently not a good deal, but AZ allows trades to offset for sales tax, so is worth checking out).
Old 04-26-2013, 03:27 PM   #95
ZBB
Relic

Tesla made a big service announcement today.

Basically they are making a loaner fleet avail (P85 Model S or a Roadster). They also re-did the battery warranty -- it now basically covers everything except intentional damage or an accident that damages the battery. I'll look through the new PDF tonight. More info here:
http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/crea...anty-program-0

Also, Tesla is doing test drives at the Scottsdale store this weekend. My wife is signed up for this afternoon...
Old 04-26-2013, 03:35 PM   #96
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
Well... I took the first step towards selling the Boxster today. I paid the loan off -- so the lien will be released by Monday and I should have the title 2-3 weeks later.

I figured this would make a private party sale much simpler. Fallback will be CarMax, although I will also look at Tesla's trade-in program with Auto Nation (which is apparently not a good deal, but AZ allows trades to offset for sales tax, so is worth checking out).

good deal!

so you're really doing this!

that's cool. i'm psyched for you, man.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:29 PM   #97
Rob
The user formerly known as rwg

Carmudgeonly Ride: Z4
I just saw an article about the service and warranty changes. I think it makes your decision a lot easier or more comfortable since you have already made it.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:59 PM   #98
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:
Also, Tesla is doing test drives at the Scottsdale store this weekend. My wife is signed up for this afternoon...
Well?
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:34 PM   #99
ZBB
Relic

She liked it... More later.

----
Edit: Its later -- we were still out when I first posted.

Since Tesla doesn't have a dealers license in AZ, they normally can't give test drives. But as a manufacturer, they can offer some drives periodically, so they brought a few cars to AZ this weekend and let those that had requested test drives to sign up. Since I've already driven 3 separate Model S (one of each config too -- 85, P85 and 60), I asked my wife if she'd like to do a test when I received the email invite. She said yes, so we signed up for this afternoon -- originally set for 3pm, but my wife had something come up, so I called the store and they were able to push our drive out to 4:30.

We had our 6 year old daughter with us, and Tesla's test drives don't allow children under 8 to ride along (odd considering the test cars had the optional 3rd row booster seats installed...). So the test was just my wife and the Tesla person. Overall, she liked it -- and she understands why I decided to get it.

The car she drove only had a 101 miles on it at the end of her drive -- so they were using brand new cars (and possibly those going into the new loaner fleet -- I'm wondering if they are staying in AZ). A couple other thoughts:
  • They had 3 test cars out (and it looked like another 2 in the charging bay). A dark grey (a color I don't like...), a dark blue (nice, but too dark for me), and the new red (which went into production in March and was the first time I'd seen one -- and its a very nice red).
  • Tesla is making some running changes. The test car had a new design for the door handles. Physically looks the same, but the original handle design did not move when you pulled on it to open the door (skin contact on the inside of the handle triggered the electric servo that opens the door). The new design moves with your hand when you pull the handle -- feels more natural (although skin contact on the inside of the handle still triggers the door opening...).
  • The test cars were all P85 and fully optioned. One of the features of the P85 is a carbon fiber spoiler that sits on the rear lift gate. First time I'd seen one (the P85 inside the store doesn't have one -- it was a punchlist item to be added later by service on many of the early delivery cars). I'm normally don't like the look of CF, but I thought it looked very nice, probably since its the real stuff -- felt like it didn't even have a clear coat on it, just a sanded-smooth surface). My car won't come with this, but maybe I'll splurge at some point...
  • They all had the 3rd row seats. If anyone remembers the old rear-facing 3rd row fold-away seats in 70s and 80s era MB and Volvo wagons, these are just a modern version of those -- and include a built-in 5-point barnes for the child. But they are just booster seats. With only one child that most of the way through the booster seat stage, it didn't make sense for me to get these. But my mom had a Volvo wagon when I was a kid -- so seeing them was nostalgic...

Last edited by ZBB; 04-27-2013 at 12:30 AM.
ZBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:19 PM   #100
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
  • They all had the 3rd row seats. If anyone remembers the old rear-facing 3rd row fold-away seats in 70s and 80s era MB and Volvo wagons, these are just a modern version of those -- and include a built-in 5-point barnes for the child. But they are just booster seats. With only one child that most of the way through the booster seat stage, it didn't make sense for me to get these. But my mom had a Volvo wagon when I was a kid -- so seeing them was nostalgic...
Wasn't just Benz and Volvo, but yeah. That's cool!

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote