carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 06-18-2020, 06:51 PM   #11
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
I'd be surprised if BMW would let Toyota use the Supra shared platform on a 3 series competitor.
Didn't mean to imply that. Was just saying that, in thinking about it, the IS might actually fit better in a toyota showroom next to those cars. Badged as a toyota, and at a lower price point, I think it could make more sense (given the outdated platform).
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 07:14 PM   #12
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Didn't mean to imply that. Was just saying that, in thinking about it, the IS might actually fit better in a toyota showroom next to those cars. Badged as a toyota, and at a lower price point, I think it could make more sense (given the outdated platform).
They're actually doing this with the Harrier, aren't they?
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 12:34 PM   #13
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
They're actually doing this with the Harrier, aren't they?
Oh interesting- hadn't seen that. I guess the Harrier and Lexus RX are no longer twins?
Old 06-19-2020, 12:59 PM   #14
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
On the other hand, Mazda is doing some good things:
https://www.motortrend.com/news/2022...e-six-details/
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 05:41 PM   #15
Alan
Carmudgeon

If Mazda actually offered that they need to offer AWD if they are making the base RWD ... I had an Infiniti G50 RWD in Florida as a rental and I really liked it a lot .. I could totally own one (in AWD) except in the rain the rear end would come out and truthfully to me it was not in a fun way, AWD is needed even in the warm weather for a DD ... at least IMO.

As far as Lexus, it just sucks they gave up, I always liked the GS & IS models but they are outdated and unexciting. I will hold out to see the new IS in person hopefully it looks more up to date than that article.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 07:46 AM   #16
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
If Mazda actually offered that they need to offer AWD if they are making the base RWD ... I had an Infiniti G50 RWD in Florida as a rental and I really liked it a lot .. I could totally own one (in AWD) except in the rain the rear end would come out and truthfully to me it was not in a fun way, AWD is needed even in the warm weather for a DD ... at least IMO.
That is one of the main reasons I just bought a loaded AWD Fusion. Second reason was because the wife really missed her 2014 version (this one is much nicer than the old one)
Old 06-20-2020, 04:42 PM   #17
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kognito View Post
That is one of the main reasons I just bought a loaded AWD Fusion. Second reason was because the wife really missed her 2014 version (this one is much nicer than the old one)
Completely get it plus Ford did a really good job with the Fusion ... it really is a beautiful sedan why Ford wants out of the sedan business kinda sucks ...
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 11:32 AM   #18
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
On the other hand, Mazda is doing some good things:
https://www.motortrend.com/news/2022...e-six-details/

Yeah that looks very promising. I think mazda is my favorite car company now - one of the few who seem to still try and name cars that are engaging to drive, look good and have nice interiors at an affordable price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk