carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 06-07-2020, 09:52 PM   #1
Alan
Carmudgeon

Need a Good torque wrench

I’ve got This ridiculous digital torque wrench (1/2 inch) that just is annoying... it beeps when you hit the setting and always over torques ... I want to go back to the manual one where it just clicks when it hits the right torque so I don’t over torque the lug nuts.

Can someone recommend one ?

TIA
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 10:04 PM   #2
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I’ve got This ridiculous digital torque wrench (1/2 inch) that just is annoying... it beeps when you hit the setting and always over torques ... I want to go back to the manual one where it just clicks when it hits the right torque so I don’t over torque the lug nuts.

Can someone recommend one ?

TIA
I've had this one for about ten years and have been pleased with it.

https://www.jbtools.com/precision-in...SABEgIA2PD_BwE
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 10:09 PM   #3
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
I have an old school Craftsman one I actually bought at Sears in probably 2005. Always worked easily for me, but I have no idea how close or not to being properly calibrated it is at this point. Don't even know if you can buy it anymore.

Happy to be of help!
Old 06-08-2020, 06:21 AM   #4
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Buy this. Done.

https://smile.amazon.com/CDI-2503MFR...s%2C151&sr=8-1

Excellent tool. Made by Snap-on. I've had mine for 15 years and it still feels new. Long tool, so it's easy to torque wheels down.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 07:42 AM   #5
Nick M3
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
Buy this. Done.

https://smile.amazon.com/CDI-2503MFR...s%2C151&sr=8-1

Excellent tool. Made by Snap-on. I've had mine for 15 years and it still feels new. Long tool, so it's easy to torque wheels down.
Made *for* Snap On, not by.

For Alan's use, the Precision torque wrench that Josh linked to is way better. Those were also rebranded by Snap On. Why are they better? Well, super easy to adjust, and they don't have to be zeroed in between uses. I have the "Snap On" one because that's what my wife bought, Mike has the Precision version. They are identical.

I use small CDIs for precision work because they have amore precise adjuster, but nothing that you're putting a 1/2" torque wrench on requires extremely fine adjustment.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 07:54 AM   #6
ff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaz View Post
I have an old school Craftsman one I actually bought at Sears in probably 2005. Always worked easily for me, but I have no idea how close or not to being properly calibrated it is at this point. Don't even know if you can buy it anymore.

Happy to be of help!
LOL, same here! I bought mine in the early 90's though, so it's probably even further out of calibration
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 08:41 AM   #7
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaz View Post

Happy to be of help!
I lost count of how many Craftsman 1/2" clicker torque wrenches I've gone through since 2003. Was able to exchange a few at Sears despite several of them busting past their warranty expiration (depending on the clerk knowing that torque wrenches were only warrantied for 12 months and with a receipt), but not all.

The last one went 7 or 8 years before giving up two years ago.

I bought a Tekton to replace. Was $58 on Amazon at the time. $60 right now. It may be a good option for you.

https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-24340-...dp/B00C5ZL1NS/

I have two complaints that not everyone would find to be a problem. First is completely addressable...I just haven't and I'm not sure why. There is a screw to "lock" the adjuster at a setting. In the mad rush to change between dry/rain tires between runs or before the rain hits (and hopefully avoid getting soaked) or to swap between race and road tires to get on the road after an event, the lock is sometimes overlooked or not fully completed. If it's not fully locked, the adjuster can slip. The screw has a hole through it, and when I'm taking my time, I stick something through it to actually lock it. In a rush, it's just finger tight and that's not really tight enough every time. There's a hole in the screw and I keep intending to put a key chain ring or similar through it, but just haven't gotten around to it. (Which is ridiculous.)

The other issue I have is that the marking are small, thin, and at angles that make it tough to read if reading glasses are a thing in your life. Without glasses on, I really have to slow down and focus to get it right (which I think also adds to rushing on locking it place).

If/when this goes, the Precision linked earlier is the one I'm buying.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 08:46 AM   #8
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3 View Post
Made *for* Snap On, not by.

For Alan's use, the Precision torque wrench that Josh linked to is way better. Those were also rebranded by Snap On. Why are they better? Well, super easy to adjust, and they don't have to be zeroed in between uses. I have the "Snap On" one because that's what my wife bought, Mike has the Precision version. They are identical.

I use small CDIs for precision work because they have amore precise adjuster, but nothing that you're putting a 1/2" torque wrench on requires extremely fine adjustment.
My last company used CDI Torque wrenches on a daily basis in a production environment and I don't recall them ever being out of calibration and they were calibrated yearly by an outside outfit and daily by a calibrated test fixture. Good enough for me to work on my car.
Old 06-08-2020, 08:50 AM   #9
Nick M3
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
My last company used CDI Torque wrenches on a daily basis in a production environment and I don't recall them ever being out of calibration and they were calibrated yearly by an outside outfit and daily by a calibrated test fixture. Good enough for me to work on my car.
You're not Alan. The Precision split beam offers radically improved ease of use.

Again, Mike and I have both the Precision and the CDI wrenches. The CDIs are great for what we use them for (fine torques, you know, like engine work). For swapping wheels, the Precision is like a million times better.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 09:29 AM   #10
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3 View Post
You're not Alan. The Precision split beam offers radically improved ease of use.

Again, Mike and I have both the Precision and the CDI wrenches. The CDIs are great for what we use them for (fine torques, you know, like engine work). For swapping wheels, the Precision is like a million times better.
I'm sure. It seems like a fine tool. I do like the torque adjustment. I was just saying that I've got nothing but good things to say about the one I have.