carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 06-22-2020, 10:28 PM   #31
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Lemming, you’re ignoring that charging (mostly) doesn’t work like gas fill ups. You don’t need dozens of beefy fast chargers; you need thousands of regular plugs (maybe 20A). Cars spend a lot of time parked. If they’re plugged in that whole time, you don’t need to fast charge.

That’s why 240V chargers in airport parking decks are stupid. Don’t give me many of those—give me a normal outlet in every stall.

I was going for simplicity instead of plumbing wires for 120V plugs every other space.

If that works, I would agree it’s fine for overnight charging.

I don’t understand why outlets aren’t more accessible. I can never get charging but I have gasoline too so it’s not totally annoying.

Why doesn’t Tesla open its system more? Is there not enough money in it to do so?

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 06:34 AM   #32
Nick M3
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
I was going for simplicity instead of plumbing wires for 120V plugs every other space.

If that works, I would agree it’s fine for overnight charging.

I don’t understand why outlets aren’t more accessible. I can never get charging but I have gasoline too so it’s not totally annoying.

Why doesn’t Tesla open its system more? Is there not enough money in it to do so?
Because Tesla’s charging network as competitive edge is worth far more than any rent they could charge.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 11:00 AM   #33
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3 View Post
Because Tesla’s charging network as competitive edge is worth far more than any rent they could charge.
So let’s use your math, to logic through when electric cars will “matter”, i.e. really move the car market into the modern era, as opposed to the 1960s where the model seems to live now.

Auto sales are 17m a year.

4.5m are cars and 12.5m seem to be trucks (work trucks) and SUVs.

EVs could make the most “good” in the truck segment. Clearly. So maybe the breakthrough happens there first, in a substantial way.

Maybe the car market just doesn’t matter, looking at these numbers. Maybe EVs really takeover the market when there’s 300mi range in an SUV like a CRV/Pilot/4Runner at a price point like the Tesla 3. And that’s when the light switch hits “on”.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 12:11 PM   #34
JST

Quote:
So let’s use your math, to logic through when electric cars will “matter”, i.e. really move the car market into the modern era, as opposed to the 1960s where the model seems to live now.

EVs could make the most “good” in the truck segment. Clearly. So maybe the breakthrough happens there first, in a substantial way.

Maybe the car market just doesn’t matter, looking at these numbers. Maybe EVs really takeover the market when there’s 300mi range in an SUV like a CRV/Pilot/4Runner at a price point like the Tesla 3. And that’s when the light switch hits “on”.
The EV F-150 is going to be a big deal, but the Model Y is also going to be a big deal once covid-related production delays go away.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 12:28 PM   #35
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:

Agree- an EV crossover priced in the CRV range (so even cheaper than Model Y) is probably what it would take to move the needle in the US.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 02:16 PM   #36
Nick M3
Relic

Quote:

I'd love to see a breakdown of the truck and SUV number. How many are actual work trucks and how many are cars classified as light trucks (Subaru, CR-V, RAV4, etc.)?

But yes, there is a reason why BMW is going to an electric X3 next. The SUV and pickup market are not only where the sales are, but also where people are willing to spend money.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 07:58 PM   #37
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Regarding 120V charging... I’ve been using 120V charging at home since moving to Ohio. It’s slow, but works well enough — on a 20A outlet (with appropriate plug), the Model S charged at ~5.5 miles added per hour, and the Model 3 charges at ~6.5 miles added per hour. That was more than enough to recover my daily commutes overnight, even in cold winter months when heating the battery meant using an extra 10-15 miles of range per day...

Quote:
The EV F-150 is going to be a big deal, but the Model Y is also going to be a big deal once covid-related production delays go away.
What delays?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	24A59901-02CE-4242-BF74-345CC8373826.jpeg
Views:	202
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	12711  
Old 06-23-2020, 08:53 PM   #38
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
Regarding 120V charging... I’ve been using 120V charging at home since moving to Ohio. It’s slow, but works well enough — on a 20A outlet (with appropriate plug), the Model S charged at ~5.5 miles added per hour, and the Model 3 charges at ~6.5 miles added per hour. That was more than enough to recover my daily commutes overnight, even in cold winter months when heating the battery meant using an extra 10-15 miles of range per day...

What delays?
I mean when they finally are able to build them right side up.

How do you like it? Have you written about it anywhere?
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 10:10 PM   #39
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
I mean when they finally are able to build them right side up.

How do you like it? Have you written about it anywhere?
We really need to update the forum software!

Haven’t written anything yet. Delivery was Mon evening and I’ve only driven it once (it’s my wife’s...)

First impression is it’s better than the 3. Very similar but the extra height makes it roomier inside. Plus I really miss the back hatch from my S. I also really like the additional height of the seats (same seat as the 3, they just sit on a raised rail)...

But there is a list of defects that need to be fixed. Ranges from carpet seams that are not properly tucked in to a misaligned trim piece on a door, and a small ding (no paint damage...)

Last edited by ZBB; 06-24-2020 at 02:39 PM.
ZBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 07:49 AM   #40
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
What delays?
Enjoy!

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote