carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 01-07-2024, 09:49 PM   #61
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Thank you for posting. My retirement plan does have a Mazda as a solid possibility for the fun/treat second car. Something fun, relatively cheap, semi-analog, stick, open-air. Wish their colors were better, though.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 09:51 PM   #62
3LOU5
Slacker Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
I'm long overdue on posting an update. Things have been crazy with work -- since I took delivery, I've had a ton of travel (13 total trips including a couple personal ones between Aug and Dec...). I also started a new job (technically, although I didn't change employers and I have another 6 months of dual-hatting where I have responsibility for both the old and new jobs.). Anyway - back to the Miata.

I took delivery at the end of July. Since then, I've put just under 1500 miles on it -- it is our third car and I really only use it for getting groceries or going to the airport.

Driving it is amazing -- it just feels perfect. Shifting is mechanical and precise. Driving a twisty road is incredibly pleasing -- I really wish we had more twisties around here... Having never driven one prior to test drives, you really understand why it's loved so much. As a driver's car, it's basically perfect. And I'm really enjoying putting the top down -- even though the RF is more like a targa, the open back window and not seeing the fixed portion of the roof makes if feel like a full convertible. And its nice having a hard top when its up -- we do get a lot of rain here...

There are only 2 things I don't like... It's small and low to the ground. Would be nice if the cockpit was about 2-3 inches longer -- I fit fine, but my wife was complaining about the lack of leg room, even with the seat all the way back (she says she's 6' tall, I think she's closer to 6'1" or 2")... The other issue is the infotainment -- CarPlay is super slow to load most of the times (sometimes it comes right up, but most of the time it takes at least a minute). Mazda also disables the touchscreen when the car is in motion. The iDrive-like control knob is easy enough to use, but it sits between the arm rest and shifter -- and it's too easy to bump it down when shifting. That's really all I don't like.

A few other thoughts:
- After driving Teslas for over a decade, it was weird going back to a gasser. Part of it is that everything is so analog (like having to remember to bring the key with me...). I was driving home the other night and the fuel light came on and I had to think for a bit where a gas station was that was convenient -- I was just so used to plugging in at home and knowing I'd have plenty of range when I got home again... But so fare, I've only needed to fill it up about once a month.
- The car has a surprising level of tech in it -- rear cross-traffic sensors and auto wipers and brights are nice, but the lane departure warning was annoying (fortunately it can be turned off...).
- I'm glad I installed the after market roof and window controllers. The window controller allows one-touch up and to use the key fob to raise or lower the windows. The roof controller allows one-touch and key fob buttons to raise or lower the roof, and to allow roof up/down at up to 30mph (stock is 6mph...). I usually only put the roof up with the fob now -- it's much easier to get out with the roof open.

Here's a couple pics (not the bast -- sorry)...
Niiiice !!

So jealous. I'm still on the hunt for one. I'm just afraid that by the time I find a manual, I'd be too old and decrepit to appreciate rowing through the gears, LOL.
2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !
3LOU5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 09:56 PM   #63
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3LOU5 View Post
Niiiice !!

So jealous. I'm still on the hunt for one. I'm just afraid that by the time I find a manual, I'd be too old and decrepit to appreciate rowing through the gears, LOL.
You and me both. But, as a second car, I think I can manage. My left knee is actually better than it was 10 years ago. Crossing fingers.
Old 01-07-2024, 10:52 PM   #64
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Awesome! I'm glad you liked it. I drove a coworker's ND and it felt like a MUCH nicer, modern, newer, and better version of all there is to like about the NC. I was really smitten. It really is such a great driver's car.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 09:36 AM   #65
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Congrats on the “new” car
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 01:43 PM   #66
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
I’m so glad you pulled the trigger.

My one comment is that while you fully embraced the EV wave ahead of most of us, the ND will be a high point for ICE powered cars, and IMHO, you will never regret this. Once they stop making them, it will have real value. For your psyche but also in the preowned market.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 06:05 PM   #67
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Thanks all...

I came across the below on YouTube last night -- and its a really good summary of the ND

@wdc330i
The ND3 is coming out this Spring that has several updates, including a new color -- but looks to be another variation of earth tone --"Aero Grey Metallic". But they also are bringing back the black and tan interior option (for the last few years, the red was only avail with a black interior -- one of the reasons I went with the weird tan color was that it was the best color that has the terra cotta seat option...).

The ND3 also adds an LSD, replaces all lighting with LEDs, updates the infotainment with a larger screen with more modern software (I may try to retrofit eventually -- there's a pretty good chance it will be plug-and-play), and radar cruise control...

More info here: https://www.thedrive.com/news/2024-m...s-and-new-tech
Old 01-09-2024, 10:52 AM   #68
robg
Carmudgeon

So great that cars like this still exist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 10:58 AM   #69
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Thanks all...

I came across the below on YouTube last night -- and its a really good summary of the ND.

@wdc330i
The ND3 is coming out this Spring that has several updates, including a new color -- but looks to be another variation of earth tone --"Aero Grey Metallic". But they also are bringing back the black and tan interior option (for the last few years, the red was only avail with a black interior -- one of the reasons I went with the weird tan color was that it was the best color that has the terra cotta seat option...).

The ND3 also adds an LSD, replaces all lighting with LEDs, updates the infotainment with a larger screen with more modern software (I may try to retrofit eventually -- there's a pretty good chance it will be plug-and-play), and radar cruise control...

Very cool! Had my budget not allowed for the 718, I would have been thrilled with an ND.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 11:05 AM   #70
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
Thanks all...

I came across the below on YouTube last night -- and its a really good summary of the ND

@wdc330i

Cool. Thank you!

I have to admit, once I saw the special edition Orange Miata, I could not get that one out of my head...