Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
excellent.

thank you!

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 07:46 PM   #3
lemming
Western Anomaly

i think the one advantage of this car is that it is an OEM forced induction engine.

so, it can synergize really nicely that whole market of aftermarket tuning for turbo miatas but start with an engine block that has been designed to deal with all of the needs of a turbo engine.

like compression, heat soak, exhaust piping and oil cooling.

might get one meself.

Old 04-24-2004, 12:54 PM   #4
SpaceMonk
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming
i think the one advantage of this car is that it is an OEM forced induction engine.

so, it can synergize really nicely that whole market of aftermarket tuning for turbo miatas but start with an engine block that has been designed to deal with all of the needs of a turbo engine.

like compression, heat soak, exhaust piping and oil cooling.

might get one meself.
Wanna get one for me while you're at it? :P
Old 04-24-2004, 09:32 PM   #5
Roadstergal
Butting in.

Quote:
The block is the same as the stock Miata block. From the first one in 1990, they were all overengineered for NA and turbo very well. Strong cylinder walls, low compression, oil squirters on the bottoms of the pistons... a guy in our Miata group has been running 15psi on his daily driver/track 1.6 for several years, and the only thing that failed is the thing that fails on all turboed 1.6s - the differential. The 1.8 diffs can take it.
Old 04-25-2004, 08:33 AM   #6
lemming
Western Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadstergal
Quote:
The block is the same as the stock Miata block. From the first one in 1990, they were all overengineered for NA and turbo very well. Strong cylinder walls, low compression, oil squirters on the bottoms of the pistons... a guy in our Miata group has been running 15psi on his daily driver/track 1.6 for several years, and the only thing that failed is the thing that fails on all turboed 1.6s - the differential. The 1.8 diffs can take it.
my new car philosophy is to buy the fastest OEM package that i can and then start thinking about mod's because it's more cost-effective usually. i learned this the hard way, but it always turns out to be the case that the car's limits are usually higher than mine, with some notable exceptions.

so i'd still opt for the mazdaspeed miata because the 'limited' edition miatas with the 6 speed tranny (very worth the money, i think) are up there already in the mid to high 20's. the m-speed package adds so much more for not a lot more $$$. wheels, turbo, the suspension.

it's nice to know that they still make engines that are overengineered, though.

Old 04-29-2004, 02:34 PM   #7
Roadstergal
Butting in.

Check the page again - they dynoed it against their FMI, which is a very mild turbo setup.
Old 04-29-2004, 05:16 PM   #8
lemming
Western Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadstergal
Check the page again - they dynoed it against their FMI, which is a very mild turbo setup.
here's the thing.

the mazdaspeed mx5 fullly OEM and within warranty is still cheaper than a decently equipped 2001-2004 6 speed miata (the flying miata kit is $5000).

the power delta can easily be done within the specs of the mazdaspeed kit. the intercooler looks easy and it's likely that an ecu retune would marginalize the difference in the dyno's. i would bet it would be within 5-8hp.

but you get a factory suspension and wheels OEM.

like the ZHP package, it's an argument that is hard to ignore, i think, short term or long term. if the price delta was like the WRX v. STi (about 6-7k) then it would be harder, but if it's only $1200 over the cost of an LS or "limited", heck, i'd go mazdaspeed.