carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 05-14-2017, 12:19 PM   #1
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Range Rovers

The fancy has struck me for a Range Rover HSE, specifically 2010 to 2012. I'm wondering if the v8 in these (375hp?) was carried forward to FC's newer LR4. The Range Rover Sport doesn't appeal to me (though likely it's a more useful size), I like the full sized HSE, don't think I have any interest in the Supercharged versions. I'm guessing weak points may be air suspension, electrics. What else? Has anyone here owned one?

FC. I assume your LR4 has been reliable. But it was brand new and guessing still under warranty. How many miles now? Have you put snow tires or slummed the MA winter on all-seasons?

Now that we are the owners of an *old* home and a fast growing dog, many of FC's decision criteria apply. I am also tired of damaging undertrays, fog lights, front bumpers on snow and ice piles that I inevitably need to park on/over. While I have gone the route of snow tires on low cars, both the TDI and the 5er sustained damage this mild winter on the two storms we had. The TDI doesn't matter as it goes back in three weeks. The 5er front lower bumper has scratches, I replaced a fog light and now am seeing some misalignment on its wonderful M-exhaust (will have to take that in).

The Home Depot stuff does push the boundaries of a Golf and a 5er without fold-down seats. And then the fast growing dog (she hit 60lbs & 26" at 5 and a half months, still adding 2-3lbs/week). I think we could swing an older, less-reliable one as we won't depend on it daily as a commuter and the running costs (tires, brakes, mpg) may be reasonable for the 4 to 6k miles/year we put on.

I find them more appealing looking than the newer gen.

I don't want x5's or other utes (ML?) that don't have real grip on the bad stuff. That's important to me. I tried air suspension on a cayenne (new loaner) and that was great as well, so that's also an option. Somehow finding the RR more attractive, but I guess there are other options. LR4, 4runner, Land Cruiser... Not sure what any one of them have over the other.

And yes, I do remember my failed x5d purchase. Shortest holding period ever. Bought in October, could not wait out the winter. Hated the suspension, the seats (both base), don't think xdrive has the grip I need. My particular one also had a continual whiff of diesel in the cabin, not something I've seen in MB's and VW's.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 12:23 PM   #2
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Unless you can find one at CarMax with their warranty, I'd stay far far away from a used Land Rover product…

I know that Doug Demuro's is older, but his blogs about his Range Rover give a good feel for what to expect...
Old 06-03-2017, 10:07 AM   #3
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
Unless you can find one at CarMax with their warranty, I'd stay far far away from a used Land Rover product…

I know that Doug Demuro's is older, but his blogs about his Range Rover give a good feel for what to expect...

I think after your shopping experience, I'm just going to go ahead and bump this... CarMax warranty FTW.

(For what it's worth, this is years-old data, but when I was in the biz our 3rd party extended warranties were crazy expensive for used Jags and Rovers. It would cost 25-30% of the price of the cars you are looking at. No clue what CarMax is selling theirs for these days. Sounds like they used to be cheap but caught the error after the Demuro stories popped up and then they increased the rates)
Old 06-03-2017, 04:14 PM   #4
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL View Post
I think after your shopping experience, I'm just going to go ahead and bump this... CarMax warranty FTW.

(For what it's worth, this is years-old data, but when I was in the biz our 3rd party extended warranties were crazy expensive for used Jags and Rovers. It would cost 25-30% of the price of the cars you are looking at. No clue what CarMax is selling theirs for these days. Sounds like they used to be cheap but caught the error after the Demuro stories popped up and then they increased the rates)
Land Rover products are far more unreliable pre-2010.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 01:12 PM   #5
equ
Alphanumeric

I have seen his videos. His is an earlier (2006?) version. Some of the stuff he gets fixed, he goes to the dealer and racks up large bills to make a story out of it. Of course, it's a high maintenance vehicle, but is it really THAT bad as a non-primary car? I see so many running around.

What are some alternatives? I don't need more than 2 rows, a nice interior and a smooth ride are essential. I don't want to spend more than $30k on this machine, less if possible.
Old 05-14-2017, 06:15 PM   #6
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
I suspect any SUV ​with decent ground clearance and AWD will perform as well as an RR in your suburban environment.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 09:44 PM   #7
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
I believe the current gen Rovers have slightly better reliability, but also crazy high resale due to limited volume production and high demand in foreign markets. I've poked around at what 2013+ models sell for as I've always thought they look pretty nice and they are just too much money. Prior gen (the ones you are talking about) are considerably cheaper but come with the historical LR/RR reliability. Also keep in mind that car was developed under BMW ownership, refreshed under Ford ownership and by the time it went out of production Tata was under control. I always wondered what that would mean for a mix of BMW, Ford and who-knows-what electronics and mechanicals throughout the car.
Old 05-15-2017, 09:00 AM   #8
equ
Alphanumeric

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL View Post
I believe the current gen Rovers have slightly better reliability, but also crazy high resale due to limited volume production and high demand in foreign markets. I've poked around at what 2013+ models sell for as I've always thought they look pretty nice and they are just too much money. Prior gen (the ones you are talking about) are considerably cheaper but come with the historical LR/RR reliability. Also keep in mind that car was developed under BMW ownership, refreshed under Ford ownership and by the time it went out of production Tata was under control. I always wondered what that would mean for a mix of BMW, Ford and who-knows-what electronics and mechanicals throughout the car.
See, I just like the interior & exterior of the boxy generation. I've ridden around in a RR HSE for short trips and one RRS (diesel in Europe) for a much longer trip. I prefer the full size one. I'm not looking to spend 2013+ money, as I wrote, I need for not that much mileage per year.

My minimal research shows that the 2010-2012 got the Ford/Jag 5.0 v8 to replace the Bmw 4.4. So it must be better, right? (Progress!)

https://newyork.craigslist.org/que/cto/6105314386.html

In fact, this is my target car, I've not convinced the better half yet to go see it. Sure, I could muscle this decision through, but I'd rather have her on board. Last weekend there was little opportunity, this coming weekend, I'll be in Scottsdale, AZ. Hope it lasts on the market (doubt it).
Old 05-14-2017, 10:12 PM   #9
JST

Yeah, what about a Grand Cherokee?
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 10:23 PM   #10
JST

Like this one looks nice.

https://www.carmax.com/car-beta/13870362
JST is offline   Reply With Quote