carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 01-19-2005, 10:24 AM   #1
TD
Founder emeritus

Rented a Mazda 3 today

So far I'm very impressed. Granted this is all within the context of the car being what it is and costing what it does. But it sure looks, feels and drives like a more expensive car than it is.

Short list of things that especially impressed me:

-Interior layout/design (instruments and steering wheel especially)
-Seat fabric (very nice cloth - reminds me of the cloth in my '97 A4)
-Fast-shifting manumatic tranny (unless my recollection is really faulty, I swear it shifts significantly quicker than the Steptronic in my dad's E39 - I actually did not just give up on it and leave it in"D" as I always end up doing in his E39).
-Ride quality (very communicative while still being quiet and well-damped - reminded me of the E46's feel - a bit too soft but nice)
-Handsome exterior styling

It didn't have enough power to make the FWD nature of the car all that noticeable. And I didn't fling it vigorously enough to bring forth the handling limitations we all know it has. But for an enthusiast-friendly commuter, I could definitely live with it. And if I was looking for a car in it's price-range, it seems like a really solid pick.
TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 10:28 AM   #2
dan
redefined

are you out of town or do you have a car being serviced?
Old 01-19-2005, 10:40 AM   #3
clyde
Chief title editor

Re: Rented a Mazda 3 today

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD
So far I'm very impressed. Granted this is all within the context of the car being what it is and costing what it does. But it sure looks, feels and drives like a more expensive car than it is.

-Fast-shifting manumatic tranny (unless my recollection is really faulty, I swear it shifts significantly quicker than the Steptronic in my dad's E39 - I actually did not just give up on it and leave it in"D" as I always end up doing in his E39).
-Ride quality (very communicative while still being quiet and well-damped - reminded me of the E46's feel - a bit too soft but nice)

It didn't have enough power to make the FWD nature of the car all that noticeable. And I didn't fling it vigorously enough to bring forth the handling limitations we all know it has. But for an enthusiast-friendly commuter, I could definitely live with it. And if I was looking for a car in it's price-range, it seems like a really solid pick.
Let us know how it dfoes in the snow on the way home
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 10:41 AM   #4
TD
Founder emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonoboy
The Saab is in for service. As it is supposed to snow today, I took the rental and left the BMWs warm and inside the garage.
Old 01-19-2005, 10:43 AM   #5
TD
Founder emeritus

Re: Rented a Mazda 3 today

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD

Let us know how it dfoes in the snow on the way home
It's FWD and wearing all-seasons. I'm sure it'll do fine. Hell, the Saab did fine last winter wearing summer performance tires (it's got all-seasons on it now, though).
Old 01-19-2005, 10:43 AM   #6
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
He had to rent a car for the snow storm since his M3 has performance tires.

J/K
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 10:48 AM   #7
TD
Founder emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt
Quote:
He had to rent a car for the snow storm since his M3 has performance tires.

J/K
And if I did that, say, 5 times a year, it would cost me <$200 for that season. It rarely snows more than that around here. As a typical winter wheel/tire set runs $1500-2000, that's 7-10 years worth of rentals.

Today cost me nothing as it was technically a loaner. And on any other day, I'd probably just take the Saab. But even if I had to rent every time it snowed, I'd still be way ahead over buying a winter wheel/tire set.

Especially since the nearest Enterprise location is a short walk from the house.
Old 01-19-2005, 10:52 AM   #8
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD
And if I did that, say, 5 times a year, it would cost me <$200 for that season. It rarely snows more than that around here. As a typical winter wheel/tire set runs $1500-2000, that's 7-10 years worth of rentals.

Today cost me nothing as it was technically a loaner. And on any other day, I'd probably just take the Saab. But even if I had to rent every time it snowed, I'd still be way ahead over buying a winter wheel/tire set.
Bah, I was just kidding.

But I disagree with you that renting is cheaper. Your discarding the value of the wheels and or tires when you sell them later. But I say we skip it. Get back to the mazda 3.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 10:52 AM   #9
dan
redefined

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD

Especially since the nearest Enterprise location is a short walk from the house.
but you'd have to do that every year
Old 01-19-2005, 10:53 AM   #10
TD
Founder emeritus

I'd still rather rent for those 5 days than be stuck on winter tires on dry roads for 3-4 months.

Plus, if some invincible moron in an SUV careens into me, I'm not in my own car.