carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 08-28-2016, 11:02 PM   #51
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
We test drove two cars today, Mercedes GLC and Mazda CX-9

Mercedes GLC

Test drove a 2016 rwd with sport package plus other options such as NAV. Forgot that it only has a 2.0T but power was decent and they hid the engine note so not offensive like the bimmer 2.0T. Had a 9 speed slushy with paddle shifters. Size wise it was bigger then I expected with a roomy back seat. Interior was nice design with pretty good quality. Vents are cool looking metal but seem plastic like the CLA. Drive was smooth but far from sporty. Actually drove like our current highlander with a lot of body roll. Spec out it would be ~45k MSRP.

Mazda CX-9

Went to the Mazda dealer after the Mercedes and that was a big difference, Mercedes had two salespeople sort of harassing us vs Mazda with a very hands off salesguy. Anyways test drove the mid range level. Interior is a step down from the mercedes but not by much. Fake leather was actually nicer then the Mercedes m-tex stuff, felt almost real. First thing I noticed was the huge center console

Not sure why in the hell it was so large, cramped by right leg while driving. Major design flaw IMHO. Driving wise the 2.5T seemed a lot more powerful then the Mercedes, burning up the front wheels on command. We drove a FWD CX-9 but figuring we would buy the AWD version. Feltsportier then the Mercedes which I liked. Price should be around ~35k.

So after these test drives, my wife rankings as far as I can tell is:

1. Mercedes GLC
2. Mazda CX-9

Out of the running:
Porsche Macan - She thinks that the sportiness is a waste on her and sadly I agree. Also smaller and less functional then the other two.

For me I am not a fan of the Mercedes but it is her car. Mercedes European delivery seems pretty sweet, slightly better then BMW.

http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/european_delivery_program

Would be nice to do a European delivery of it next summer.
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 11:13 PM   #52
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

My wife does not want cloth in the Mazda so that forces the touring which with AWD is ~38k MSRP, pretty pricey for a mazda. Also looks like it has leather not vinyl like the saleguy told us so no wonder why it felt nice then the mercedes
Old 08-29-2016, 10:14 AM   #53
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
My inlaws and my cousins just bought Mazda CX-7s and love them. Not exactly on point, but as close as I can get!
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 12:24 PM   #54
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
So the Mazda was nicer, but she's picking the Merc. Yep, sounds like my wife.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 05:47 PM   #55
Alan
Carmudgeon

The GLC is a great vehicle, I test drove one with my daughter, she fell in love with it and wants one really badly but we are going to lease her a car and the programs on the GLC were terrible. The one we priced out was $49k ... You gotta have awd here in NY. I could get her a $51k C300 for $120 less per month.

I haven't checked out the Mazda's and am not sure I will but I do like the Lexus NX as well for her and they lease out pretty well.

Good luck with your purchase.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 06:13 PM   #56
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF View Post
The GLC is a great vehicle, I test drove one with my daughter, she fell in love with it and wants one really badly but we are going to lease her a car and the programs on the GLC were terrible. The one we priced out was $49k ... You gotta have awd here in NY. I could get her a $51k C300 for $120 less per month.

I haven't checked out the Mazda's and am not sure I will but I do like the Lexus NX as well for her and they lease out pretty well.

Good luck with your purchase.
thanks for the lease info, the salesguy mentioned it but wasn’t sure how it leased, My wife puts around ~15k mileage a year so been assuming it wasn’t worth it anyways.

I dont think my wife doesn’t cares that much about options so I would suggest just AMG sport package and Burmester Surround Sound System with rwd. So $43,545.
Old 08-29-2016, 08:46 PM   #57
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
thanks for the lease info, the salesguy mentioned it but wasn’t sure how it leased, My wife puts around ~15k mileage a year so been assuming it wasn’t worth it anyways.

I dont think my wife doesn’t cares that much about options so I would suggest just AMG sport package and Burmester Surround Sound System with rwd. So $43,545.
The exact details I got for the lease were ... the msrp was $49.5k, 36 months, 12k miles a year, I pay taxes and fees upfront and the monthly payment was $642 a month
The C300 msrp was $51,370 taxes and fees upfront $531 a month same 36 months 12k miles a yr

My mistake the difference was $111 a month not $120.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 07:07 AM   #58
JST

The GLC is a two row SUV, right? And the CX-9 is 3?
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 11:34 AM   #59
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
The GLC is a two row SUV, right? And the CX-9 is 3?
correct, wife is still deciding whether she wants to give up her third row

GLC was a lot roomier then I as expected. Back seat was spacious, especially compare to the Macan. She said it felt smaller then the highlander(and I assume the cx-9 which was later). Drove big to me though.
Old 08-30-2016, 11:35 AM   #60
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF View Post
The exact details I got for the lease were ... the msrp was $49.5k, 36 months, 12k miles a year, I pay taxes and fees upfront and the monthly payment was $642 a month
The C300 msrp was $51,370 taxes and fees upfront $531 a month same 36 months 12k miles a yr

My mistake the difference was $111 a month not $120.
thanks