carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 01-23-2015, 11:53 AM   #1
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
VW's...

My wife mentioned that she wouldn't mind a new car and I was thinking a new GTI would be a nice option. She has always like the tartan cloth and if she wanted a slushy the DSG is not the worst option.

The only big issue that i see is she commutes a lot and probably puts close to 15k a year. VW reliability scares me. I know they are still German so not expecting japanese reliability but not a electrical lemon. Also these new GTIs are made in mexico but I hopfully ze germans have a good process in place.

So should I be scared about VW reliability?

TIA
Jeff
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 12:10 PM   #2
TD
Founder emeritus

All I can say is I just broke 35K miles on my 2013 Golf R and I have had zero issues. Not even trivial things. Nothing. Car feels brand new. Will that continue? Who knows. But it sure seems to be holding up better than my last new BMW was at this point. Granted mine is a German-built VW.

How do pubs like CR rate recent VWs? I haven't looked and don't have access.
TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 12:15 PM   #3
dan
redefined

looks like CR rates VW pretty much in the middle of the pack in various ratings. Not good for reliability though.
dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 12:16 PM   #4
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

thanks
Old 01-23-2015, 12:56 PM   #5
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
So should I be scared about VW reliability?

TIA
Jeff
No

not if you are looking at something new. We put about 40K on our 2008 rabbit, never a single problem with it. Our 2012 Tiguan never had an issue either, but I only put about 14K miles on it.

VW reliability is an issue in their past, IMHO, not with current models
Old 01-23-2015, 01:25 PM   #6
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD View Post
All I can say is I just broke 35K miles on my 2013 Golf R and I have had zero issues.
Seems like this must be the car the family uses the most with that kind of mileage in only 2y.

I am very curious about the new GTI after all of the good reviews I have seen. I still need to go test one out.
Old 01-23-2015, 01:26 PM   #7
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD View Post
All I can say is I just broke 35K miles on my 2013 Golf R and I have had zero issues. Not even trivial things. Nothing. Car feels brand new. Will that continue? Who knows. But it sure seems to be holding up better than my last new BMW was at this point. Granted mine is a German-built VW.

How do pubs like CR rate recent VWs? I haven't looked and don't have access.
I've only got half the mileage on mine that TD has on his, but my experience is similar. I had it in at some point for some sort of service campaign (can't remember what), but other than that it's been trouble free.

Knock wood.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 02:09 PM   #8
lupinsea
Jeeped

Carmudgeonly Ride: Modified Jeep Tj and '07 Miata
Jeff, I've asked about particular reliability on this board in the past and while I appreciate the input from everyone I've noticed most people on this board don't seem to put significant miles on their cars, or at least don't hang on to their car past a significant number of miles.

Not sure about you but when I'm seeking input on reliability I'm looking at how reliable they are (or cost of repairs) out to 100 - 150k milage on a car. And part of that reasoning is that over the last decade my family has gotten in the routine of buying cars used at about the 50k mark.

So yeah, check CR. They aren't the holy bible for everything car related but they should be a good metric on long term trends and reliability.

"Jeep is the only true American sports car*" - Enzo Ferrari

* Or something to that effect.
lupinsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 02:15 PM   #9
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupinsea View Post
Jeff, I've asked about particular reliability on this board in the past and while I appreciate the input from everyone I've noticed most people on this board don't seem to put significant miles on their cars, or at least don't hang on to their car past a significant number of miles.

Not sure about you but when I'm seeking input on reliability I'm looking at how reliable they are (or cost of repairs) out to 100 - 150k milage on a car. And part of that reasoning is that over the last decade my family has gotten in the routine of buying cars used at about the 50k mark.

So yeah, check CR. They aren't the holy bible for everything car related but they should be a good metric on long term trends and reliability.
thanks but hate to say but I am more like the other board members, usually keep our cars to 80-120 k.

Also I guess I still have a VW stigma so wouldn't buy a VW for long term. That is another reason I am considering new, 50k of a VW is a lot of its usable reliable mileage IMHO.
Old 01-23-2015, 03:40 PM   #10
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupinsea View Post

OK, now I need to dig up pictures of the off-road trail I drove the rabbit down at Moab

Would I have bought a new VW in the 80's or the 90's?? Hell no!!

But reliability is no longer an issue with VW IMHO