carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Technical Superiority

Old 03-27-2018, 07:37 PM   #11
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
There's a sears near me. Maybe I should exchange it to help them go bankrupt faster.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 09:31 PM   #12
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
There's a sears near me. Maybe I should exchange it to help them go bankrupt faster.
Don't go throwing a wrench in their financial plans
Old 03-28-2018, 04:58 AM   #13
Alan
Carmudgeon

Are you kidding me ... they have a warranty on these things ... for some dumbass reason i’ve gone through 2 or 3 ratchets over the years when removing the lug nuts from my cars. I had no idea I could go back to Lowe’s and get a replacement

No kidding around I literally just bought another one a month or two ago
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 07:00 AM   #14
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Yeah, app those broken wrenches could have been free.

But why are you using a ratchet p wheel bolts? Buy an impact gun for removal and a torque wrench for tightening!

Not necessary, but way more fun.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 05:55 AM   #15
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
Yeah, app those broken wrenches could have been free.

But why are you using a ratchet p wheel bolts? Buy an impact gun for removal and a torque wrench for tightening!

Not necessary, but way more fun.
I only use it to break the lug then I usually use a dewalt power thing to zip them off and on then a torque wrench to finish the job.

I bought an impact gun but didn’t like the way it bangs against the bolt and dings it up.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 12:38 PM   #16
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
I'm just about to the point of throwing away the last of my craftsman ratchets. The quality on the new ones is extremely poor. I exchanged two of them last year for various issues and the replacements are just junk.

On a whim I bought a new 1/2" and 3/8" from Harbor Freight around Christmas and so far I really like them. I intended for them to live in the travel toolbox (full of cheap tools that I don't care too much if I lose one of or if one walks off with a competitor). We'll see how they hold up, but there is a lot less hysteresis in the ratcheting mechanism - they're both really close to as good as the Matco 1/2" that I have.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 09:42 PM   #17
blee
Doctor Mudgeon

Speaking of non-Craftsman tools, what's the line on the premium-level tool market? Among the Snap-Ons of the world, what's the best compromise between cost and quality?

I love my 15-year-old Craftsman tools, but I agree that the newer stuff is disappointing. Plus, as I mentioned earlier, it's getting less and less convenient to even find a Sears worth shopping for automotive tools. If I'm going to deal with ordering stuff, I might as well go whole-hog...
blee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 10:11 PM   #18
Nick M3
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee View Post
Speaking of non-Craftsman tools, what's the line on the premium-level tool market? Among the Snap-Ons of the world, what's the best compromise between cost and quality?

I love my 15-year-old Craftsman tools, but I agree that the newer stuff is disappointing. Plus, as I mentioned earlier, it's getting less and less convenient to even find a Sears worth shopping for automotive tools. If I'm going to deal with ordering stuff, I might as well go whole-hog...
Here’s the real rabbit hole:

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/...d.php?t=136120

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/...d.php?t=249851

The tool truck equivalent threads. It’s not like Snap On or anyone else actually makes much for itself.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 10:39 PM   #19
clyde
Chief title editor

Dunno if those Garage Journal threads get into it, but there's also been a lot of tool company consolidation and shifts in production (factories and countries). Worth checking this out:

https://pressurewashr.com/tool-industry-behemoths/

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 01:20 AM   #20
blee
Doctor Mudgeon

I'll have to check out those threads when I'm on a computer that isn't so dumb about "security." But, yeah, I know that relatively few tool companies have their own factories. For as long as I'm aware, Sears never did, either, and I know there are some real tool geeks who know which companies made Craftsman tools at different times.

Still, it seems to me that branding does make a difference, in some cases. The same factory might push out open-end wrenches for three different labels, but to what tolerances and design specs are each of them manufactured -- even if they ship from the same building?
blee is offline   Reply With Quote