carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 03-11-2019, 08:42 AM   #81
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
And they changed their mind already. They're keeping more showrooms open and raising prices 3% again (except the $35k model)

https://www.tesla.com/blog/update-te...es-and-pricing
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 08:47 AM   #82
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
And they changed their mind already. They're keeping more showrooms open and raising prices 3% again (except the $35k model)

https://www.tesla.com/blog/update-te...es-and-pricing
Axios's take:
https://www.axios.com/tesla-model-3-...ee2d246f8.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axios
Our thought bubble from Axios' Joann Muller: Tesla is destroying the value of its brand with a series of flip-flopping decisions on vehicle prices and its store presence. It is not a long-term strategy and instead smacks of desperation as the company tries to find a path to sustained profits.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 09:04 AM   #83
JST

It can be difficult to support this company. It must be even harder to work there.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 09:23 AM   #84
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
It can be difficult to support this company. It must be even harder to work there.
This would make a good bumper sticker for Tesla
Old 03-11-2019, 09:49 AM   #85
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by kognito View Post
This would make a good bumper sticker for Tesla
Better:

It can be difficult to support this company. It must be even harder to work there. Just imagine how good the cars must be to overcome all of this.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 10:28 AM   #86
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Yeah, I was going to say. Tesla is kind of like Trump. Stuff that would sink a competitor doesn't seem to hurt them.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 12:19 PM   #87
ff

None of the frequent adjustments in direction surprises me. In many ways, Tesla operates much more like an agile software company than a traditional car company.
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 04:59 PM   #88
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff View Post
None of the frequent adjustments in direction surprises me. In many ways, Tesla operates much more like an agile software company than a traditional car company.
But a well-run agile software company wouldn't randomly change strategy multiple times per month. Also, even when it comes to actual software development, "agile" doesn't mean that you just randomly change things, skip testing, and not have a product roadmap.

It's hard to imagine a good excuse for doing such a quick about-face on pricing. There's lots of ways they could have tested and predicted what the results of various pricing strategies in advance of just plowing forward with whatever popped into Musk's head that day.

I know there's a sentiment among some fans and investors that Tesla and Musk are too intertwined to separate, but the board has to find a better way to run the company (both strategically and operationally).

It's true that he seems a bit "trump like" in that he gets away with stuff that no other CEO would, but I think it's just a matter of time before he causes a preventable implosion. Plus I'd think he would be happier going on to another startup.

Guess it doesn't really affect me since i'm not an investor, customer or employee. But it's such a face-palm train wreck to watch.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote