carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 10-27-2012, 12:22 PM   #1
kognito
older fart than ZBB

VW/Audi/VAG

didn't want to put this in Clyde's Focus thread, but saw some recent VW bashing in that thread.

What is currently wrong with VW/Audi???

I have had a 90, an A6, and an A4. and was pretty happy with them. Only issue we had with our 2008 rabbit was the seats, and thin paint.

My wife is currently liking the 2013 Tiguan (seems like it is Audi drivetrain 2.0T/awd)

Why should I NOT buy her one?
Old 10-27-2012, 01:05 PM   #2
Optimus Prime
Carmudgeon

Carmudgeonly Ride: Golf TDi
We love our Passat and Golf TDI. We've had some issues, but nothing the service department at our dealer hasn't taken care of ASAP. I think having a responsive dealer is paramount.

For my money the Golf TDI is still the best value car for people that actually enjoy driving cars and plan to put a lot of miles in the seat.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:10 PM   #3
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
No experience on its reliability, but I was greatly impressed by the golf TDI on my test drive, perhaps more so than the r32 and the GTI for a daily driver.

My 2010 a4 at 35k miles has had no real issues, so far, one of the best cars I've owned (if not the best).

Last edited by equ; 10-27-2012 at 06:48 PM. Reason: added model year
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 01:17 PM   #4
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
SUPPOSEDLY the newer stuff is better. Whether it's better or just too new to have shown any real unreliability problems remains to be seen.

I really believe the MKIII and MKIV stuff were the worst cars ever made by VW in terms of reliability, with the MKIII winning that race by a few car lengths. Our MKIV Jetta was a mid to late model cycle car and it was always experiencing some fault. Never fatal, always annoying.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 01:45 PM   #5
TD
Founder emeritus

We've had zero issues with our A4
TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 04:47 PM   #6
kognito
older fart than ZBB

OK, thanks! (and I am sure you all have driven your stuff harder than my wife will in this mini SUV)
Old 10-27-2012, 06:11 PM   #7
RMR
Crotchety

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2020 Honda Civic Hatch Sport
My current 2012 MK6 GTI has been perfect over 10k Miles. My brother has owned a MK5 Jetta for 4 years and its been good except for small electrical issues. My old '00 A4 Avant 1.8T held up very well over 3 years and 75k miles.

I had friends with older late 80s and 90s VWs that were just horrendous in terms of constantly having electric issues and mechanical issues. The cars fell apart. It was those cars that scared me away from VW for a long time. Another reason is VW has never been rated high in reliability rating from the consumer reports, etc based on a number of reported issues.

Today's VW is probably not that much different that BMW or certain American brands in terms of reliability.

RMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:57 PM   #8
IndyMike
Elected by grace

Carmudgeonly Ride: 11 1 M; 11 328iT; 22 M240ix
I think VAG finally heard and responded to the general outcry regarding poor reliability.

Over 5 years and 55k miles the MKV R has been stellar. Other than standard maintenance that the service manual calls for every 5k miles, the only out of pocket expense has been for a HID bulb that went out after the warranty expired.

Other than that it's been bullet proof.

The DSG unit has been a veritable thrill to drive. VAG even came out with an extension of the warranty period for the gearbox to 10 years and 100k miles.

The R tuned suspension continues to exceed any I've ever owned, spare the 1 M and 944.

I would have absolutely no reticence in owning another, or recommending to anyone a VAG product.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:35 AM   #9
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
bingo!

had two Mark III vehicles and short of 10 year warranty (like Hyundai), i'd not venture into VW again. cheap, fast, reliable. choose two. that level of quality, real or perceived, comes at a cost. and in the entry level marque of the empire, i am wary of where the cost cutting occurs.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote