carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 03-15-2004, 03:28 PM   #11
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbr129
I understand the show-offs. But do all those who can buy a 150K car and track them have enough money to not really care if one gets totalled? (I'm assuming they are not insured).

I would have to be crazy-wealthy to have a GT3 as a track car, have a misshap, and simply say "well that sucked," and write a check for another one.
Why wouldn't they be insured? Unless you are talking about a more dedicated track or racing car. In that case then yes those people just have silly money and/or sponsorship.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 03:30 PM   #12
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by bren
Quote:
I understand the show-offs. But do all those who can buy a 150K car and track them have enough money to not really care if one gets totalled? (I'm assuming they are not insured).

I would have to be crazy-wealthy to have a GT3 as a track car, have a misshap, and simply say "well that sucked," and write a check for another one.
Why wouldn't they be insured? Unless you are talking about a more dedicated track or racing car. In that case then yes those people just have silly money and/or sponsorship.
I was/am under the impression that insurance wont cover a car if it is damaged during a track/autox.
FC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 03:31 PM   #13
blee
Doctor Mudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren
Quote:

I think just about every state requires street cars to be insured. My guess is that most insurance companies would have ridiculous premiums, though.
blee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 03:31 PM   #14
TD
Founder emeritus

Insurance balks at "competetive" events. A drivers school (at a track) is not competetive. In fact, it is "driver education".

Almost all insurance covers drivers schools.

Autox is a grey area.

Full blown organized racing is never covered.
TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 03:33 PM   #15
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
I was/am under the impression that insurance wont cover a car if it is damaged during a track/autox.
It varies from policy to policy and location to location, but from the types of events that people here usually participate in...bzzt. Wrong.

Plus, there a number of companies that offer track only policies.
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 03:33 PM   #16
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee
Oh, as to which car....at this point, I'd say 355 or 360. But I wouldn't mind checking out a GT sometime.

I guess my point is that I would not let its cost get in the way of my driving pleasure. I wouldn't want to buy a car, even a historic one, and tippytoe through town because I was worried about getting a scratch on the paint. These cars, above all others, are designed to be driven, and I feel like most of their owners don't even try to test their limits. I would certainly be heartbroken if I were to total a Ferrari...but I would be much less heartbroken if I had memories of screaming down the main straight at WOT and braking for turn 1 before losing control.
exactly.

you'd want to be able to DRIVE it.

that's why porsches are beautiful things, in general. to a certain extent, they're highly attainable. but they're also built for the rigors of the track. the downside is that "common"-ness, but that also means a strong dealer network, easy parts, and that they are easily replaceable.

i guess a question before the original post is: would we rather have balls-out sports cars or exotic cars?

i'd rather have a sports car. and wherever it's priced is where i put my money.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 03:33 PM   #17
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD
Insurance balks at "competetive" events. A drivers school (at a track) is not competetive. In fact, it is "driver education".

Almost all insurance covers drivers schools.

Autox is a grey area.

Full blown organized racing is never covered.
I see. Thanks.
FC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 04:06 PM   #18
JST

Ford GT. No question.

And I probably wouldn't drive it *every* day. But I bet I'd drive it into work fairly often. How could you not?

If not the GT, then either the DB9 or the AMV8, once that comes out.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 04:07 PM   #19
zach
swinging for the fences

Carmudgeonly Ride: 987, X7 M60i, e36 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST
Ford GT. No question.

And I probably wouldn't drive it *every* day. But I bet I'd drive it into work fairly often. How could you not?

zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 04:08 PM   #20
blee
Doctor Mudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST
Ford GT. No question.

I would especially want to drive it to work if I parked in a garage. And I'd probably use up half of the gas tank just revving the engine. I do that already with my Jeep. Hey, it's a V8.
blee is offline   Reply With Quote