carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 09-08-2018, 10:22 AM   #1
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3

Nokian has a new Hakka tire... The R3. Supposedly it's as good or better in snow than the R2, but much improved in the dry.
http://www.tractionnews.com/nokian-u...3-winter-tire/

I'm thinking about the R3 "SUV" version for the Chevy Colorado.

The only other winter tire available in 255/65-R17 are the Michelin X-ice xi2. The xi2 seem to do great in all the professional tire magazine reviews, but when you read user reviews a number of people say they are the worst tire they've ever driven in slush and wet snow. Apparently they hydroplane like crazy.

The biggest advantage of the xi2 over the R2 was the dry performance. With the R3 improving it's dry performance maybe the R3 wins across the board now.

I thought of not even bothering with winter tires. The stock all-terrain tires ("Goodyear wrangler all terrain adventure with kevlar") did great in deep wet snow, with the big gaps between the tread. But I'm guessing they'll suck on ice. I just hope the Hakka's aren't a big downgrade in the deep snow. It would suck to buy snow tires and have them be worse than what I have.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 12:53 PM   #2
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
If you are keeping the AT anyway, just go for the more serious winter tires.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 12:54 PM   #3
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Meaning the hakka, right?
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 12:56 PM   #4
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
I have had Hakka SUV tires on the LR4 (since Dec 3013) and they are spectacular.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 12:57 PM   #5
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Hakkas are fantastic in snow, slush and ice. I have a set for the e46 wagon and rocked it in the blizzard of a couple of years ago. It was shockingly unstoppable.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 01:03 PM   #6
FC
Solving problems

Just to add, I'm sure the LR4 system is impressive (with center and rear locking e-diffs), but in 5 years of Boston winters I can hardly recall the traction control coming on. Braking is also excellent (but you can't cheat physics either).
Old 09-08-2018, 01:15 PM   #7
ff

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
I have had Hakka SUV tires on the LR4 (since Dec 3013) and they are spectacular.
I can imagine. A good 4WD system make even all-season tires seem stellar in the slippery stuff. Winter tires should be all that much better.
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 04:39 PM   #8
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff View Post
I can imagine. A good 4WD system make even all-season tires seem stellar in the slippery stuff. Winter tires should be all that much better.
Surprisingly, the OEM Contis that came with the LR4 are junk in the winter. They are ok in terms of comfort and quiet but pretty much suck at everything else. This is my last season with them. Contó has come out with a very quiet and comfortable all terrain tire that I will install next spring.
Old 09-11-2018, 08:26 AM   #9
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Are the Haaka's good for areas that get relatively little snowfall but have frequent ice storms, like where I am? I've have winter tires (Blizzaks) on the Mazdaspeed since new and it's time for a new set this winter. Are the Nokians overkill for what we get? I've never really had a complaint about the Blizzaks other than, well, they're winter tires, so on days with no snow or ice they suck to drive on (squishy and vague).

John
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 06:56 PM   #10
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
Are the Haaka's good for areas that get relatively little snowfall but have frequent ice storms, like where I am? I've have winter tires (Blizzaks) on the Mazdaspeed since new and it's time for a new set this winter. Are the Nokians overkill for what we get? I've never really had a complaint about the Blizzaks other than, well, they're winter tires, so on days with no snow or ice they suck to drive on (squishy and vague).

John
In the Focus ST, I had mixed feelings every spring when swapping the Dunlop WinterSport 4Ds back for the GY summer tires. The WinterSports were comfortably soft, quiet, and completely not nervous in comparison. But they were kinda squishy and limited in dry traction.

Trying to decide what to do for the Camaro. A lot of people on Camaro6.com say the GY A/S that come on it do fine enough in the type of winters we get here. But I don't like the tires to begin with, so why not put something made for cold/wet/snow/ice? Seems like TireRack is trying to blow out 2014 production WinterSport 4Ds in a size that will work, but Blizzaks. Hmm...

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote