carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 03-03-2020, 04:04 PM   #21
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
LR4 is 6.5yo and I’d be pissed if we don’t keep it for 10+ years. I hope to keep the M3 that long. I doubt any newer MT sedan will come out to lure me into replacing it.

I wish I could buy a 718 GTS. I mire I could hold it for 10+ years easily. If I had the room and money, I would have held my old 987S as well.
I have a feeling you'll end up with a 718 GTS eventually.

Out of curiousity, what would you buy today if you didn't have the LR4? Closest thing I can think of (boxy SUV w/ 3 rows thats not too long) is probably the Lexus GX. Doesnt look as cool as the LR4 to be sure.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 04:12 PM   #22
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
I have a feeling you'll end up with a 718 GTS eventually.

Out of curiousity, what would you buy today if you didn't have the LR4? Closest thing I can think of (boxy SUV w/ 3 rows thats not too long) is probably the Lexus GX. Doesnt look as cool as the LR4 to be sure.
The GX is a pretty good alternative. But I don't fool myself or others into justifying the LR4 for it's off-road prowess. For me it was the physical packaging and Swiss army-like versatility in cargo and people that won me over.

If I had a garage that could fit any SUV, I'd consider a few others along with GX. I still like the Mercedes SUVs but like all the Germans they are very expensive. For a good deal, I'd consider an Acadia/Traverse/Enclave version. I'd really have to test drive a bunch. It has been over 7 years since I spent time looking at SUVs in that category.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 04:16 PM   #23
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
The GX is a pretty good alternative. But I don't fool myself or others into justifying the LR4 for it's off-road prowess. For me it was the physical packaging and Swiss army-like versatility in cargo and people that won me over.

If I had a garage that could fit any SUV, I'd consider a few others along with GX. I still like the Mercedes SUVs but like all the Germans they are very expensive. For a good deal, I'd consider an Acadia/Traverse/Enclave version. I'd really have to test drive a bunch. It has been over 7 years since I spent time looking at SUVs in that category.
Totally get it. The LR3/4 have really started to get under my skin. There's something so satisfying about the design. So cool that you get a usable/comfortable 3rd row in such a short package. A keeper for sure.
Old 03-03-2020, 04:33 PM   #24
JST

Quote:

The Acadia continues to drive impressively well for a big three row SUV, and it has a lot of space. Its interior is sort of meh, in the grand GM tradition--even in the high spec models it looks like the cheap version of an expensive car.

I really like the way the Aviator looks, and the specs are pretty compelling. I haven't driven either that or the Explorer yet, though.

But everyone says Kia/Hyundai have solved this problem better than anyone, and that the Telluride/Palisade are THE hot ticket in the segment. Worth putting up with Kia dealers? Idk, they can't be any worse than Honda dealers, can they?
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 05:14 PM   #25
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Yeah a Hyundai/Kia product probably makes a lot of sense. Dont they still have 10 year warranties as well?
I think so but I am not sure if that is transferable to the next owner.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 06:20 PM   #26
robg
Carmudgeon

Just happened to see that Doug Demuro uploaded this video recently:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAezax2ugQU

(sub 30k Panamera). Will have to take a look later. First gen Panamera isn't my favorite design, but under 30k starts to be interesting. Interior of the car in his video looks super nice. Not sure it's something you'd want to try and keep for 10+ years though.
Old 03-04-2020, 02:03 PM   #27
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Coming up to 9 years with the 1M. Don't see any reason it won't go beyond 10.
Old 03-04-2020, 02:22 PM   #28
3LOU5
Slacker Extraordinaire

Quote:

My coworker had an Acadia and had nothing but problems with it.

She couldn't get rid of it fast enough, lol.
2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !
3LOU5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 02:25 PM   #29
3LOU5
Slacker Extraordinaire

Quote:
Inspired by seeing a GS350 parked on the street this morning. I used to find the current gen completely fugly. But, maybe due to some of similarities between it and the latest 3 series (which i've now grown used to due to the sheer volume), I thought "hmm not too bad". It was a white F-sport version with grey wheels.

As a thought experiment, it got me thinking about what car I could buy and keep for 10+ years without too much worry and at a reasonable cost. That's how my parents always did it, but whenever i've run the math on a car i'd want it doesn't look very favorable vs a lease. I also understand buying/holding a classic car (like an air cooled 911 or something), but for this i'm thinking more of an everyday/daily driver type car.

Anyway, the criteria would be:
-have to be something with some practicality
-have good durability reliability
-be decent to drive and look at.
-be comfortable and have some creature comforts
-Have an average monthly ownership cost (taking into account depreciation/maintenance/repairs/cost of money) of no more than $300/month.

I say that because above that amount I think it probably just makes sense to just do serial bmw leases or something. Despite having good resale value, a new GS350 probably wouldn't cut it. Let's say a 10 year old one is worth around 10k. With 40k in depreciation, you're already at 333/month before the other costs. So maybe the best/lowest miles used IS or GS you can find for high 20s? And right out of the gate, they annoy w/ horrid infotainment and no folding rear seats. Camry V6 then? Or slightly used GTI for low 20s? Would almost certainly incur higher maintenance/repair costs though but less so than other european cars due to sheer ubiquity. What's the sweet spot (if any)?
A top-of-the-line Honda Accord or Mazda6 would be my vote.
2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !
3LOU5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 02:40 PM   #30
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3LOU5 View Post
My coworker had an Acadia and had nothing but problems with it.

She couldn't get rid of it fast enough, lol.
I can dig up the thread, but back in 2012 or so, a loaded Acadia was not that much less than my LR4 cost us.

Not saying our LR4 has not depreciated, but it has held up a lot better than a similar vintage Acadia. Though to be fair, it only has 42k miles after 6.5 years.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote