carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 01-20-2015, 05:55 AM   #11
Pinecone
Carmudgeon

To me, service is more important than rates.

So take a bit to look at any of the surveys of clients about how they feel about how their insurance company treats them

State Farm normally gets very high marks. I have only dealt with them when filing a claim against one of their covered drivers, but it was EXTREMELY smooth and actually a pleasant experience.

I am with USAA, and have been for over 30 years (on my own, I have been covered by them from the first day I drove). I don't shop insurance, I just pay the bill. But something like 98-99% of USAA customers have no intention of switching.
1995 Alpine E36 M3 LTW
1990 Red/White Spec Racer
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 10:43 AM   #12
Biggins
Crotchety

Carmudgeonly Ride: 22 Tiguan, 11 328i
State Farm has worked for me. I had a car stolen ~10 years ago, and they were great throughout the process.

They're probably slightly higher than some, but I got a quote from them on the Civic a few months back that was $30 less than her Geico policy with similar coverage.

I understand but get annoyed at the difference in rates from my Baltimore City ZIP vs. my old County ZIP despite having several more car vandalism/theft/etc issues when I lived in the county where it always seemed much less safe.
Biggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 11:57 AM   #13
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
We have USAA. I haven't always loved their decisions, but they've always eventually paid and covered OEM parts.
wdc330i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 12:35 PM   #14
lip277
The old cranky SOB....

Carmudgeonly Ride: several cars... way too many....
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL View Post
It's all about the distribution channel. Direct sellers like Geico and Progressive spend hundreds of millions in marketing to create buzz and awareness, but you know what? They still have a lower overall expense ratio and lower rates than most other carriers. The carriers that sell through independent agents focus more on selling business insurance and let the agents do marketing to get customers for personal insurance. But you know what? The money they aren't spending on TV ads, they are paying out in very healthy agent commissions to pay them for their time and effort generating business.

At the end of the day, I wouldn't let a TV ad turn you off. But I'd also be very cautious about buying from Gecko or Flo. There isn't any one right answer- the rates are so different for everyone that what works for you will be different than what works for someone else.
It's not about the money....
For me - It's more about the 'need to replace customers who leave because they are pissed off' - so to speak.

I don't care if my premium dollars go to marketing or commissions. The bottom line to me is how they treat their customers.

For those of you in the Seattle area (and maybe not even...) - take a look here if you can. A discussion on insurance companies by the owner of an auto body shop here (known for working on high end cars) and a lawyer... Both of them long time BMWCCA members...
If you have the time - Read through this..... It is a few years old now - but still interesting....

My two cents...

1970 2800CS - - 2001 740iL - - 2006 997.1 - - 2012 Escalade
1968 Mustang GT Convertible - - 2003 Ford F250 PSD - - 1985 728i
lip277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 01:34 PM   #15
lupinsea
Jeeped

Carmudgeonly Ride: Modified Jeep Tj and '07 Miata
Thanks for the heads up. I'll certainly be looking through the thread.

Good customer service at the time of an accident is worth it to me not do deal with nickel and dime BS.

"Jeep is the only true American sports car*" - Enzo Ferrari

* Or something to that effect.
lupinsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 02:05 PM   #16
JST

I had multiple claims with Progressive, who I used for many years. In each case, the body shop owner would bitch and moan about how much of a PITA they were, but from my standpoint I didn't have any trouble at all (other than having to listen to the body shop guy complain when I dropped the car off).

At some point I switched to Chubb, and had a number of folks tell me that they were really good. I had a couple of claims with them, too, and they were much more irritating than Progressive. Delays in getting inspections done, snafus with getting claims initiated, etc. My favorite was how if you called on the weekend, they would set up a temporary claim…but if you called back on a weekday, the normal claim people had no idea how to locate the temporary claim.

When I bought the Tesla, Chubb quoted me a premium essentially double what I'd been paying for the wagon. Progressive's premium was half that, about the same as what I'd been paying before. I didn't regret switching back.
JST is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 07:36 PM   #17
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
Ok, so I'll admit I'm surprised to hear you guys put service that high on the list vs price. Kind of refreshing... Seems like everyone is about $$ these days.

USAA generally has a great reputation but requires military connection to join. Chubb is top-notch for high value homeowners insurance (they are #1 in service and product offering if you have a high value home or other valuables) but they don't have a strong auto product and it's not really a priority for them. Besides that, there are good and bad carriers and it really depends on where you are and what you need.

Happy to share my thoughts on any other specific companies if you are wondering
Old 01-20-2015, 09:04 PM   #18
Terri Kennedy
There and back again

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2003 BMW 325xiT; looking for a new fun car
Quote:
Chubb is top-notch for high value homeowners insurance (they are #1 in service and product offering if you have a high value home or other valuables) but they don't have a strong auto product and it's not really a priority for them.
I had Chubb for my Atom (via the Grundy car collector program) for a couple of weeks, but then they sent me a letter that pretty much said "We just looked at what an Atom is and paniced. Here's your premium back, have a nice day."

Grundy was baffled by this (apparently Chubb is covering at least two real Formula 1 cars for them), but moved the policy to another carrier.

I should probably frame the cancellation letter.
Terri Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 01:41 PM   #19
zach
swinging for the fences

Carmudgeonly Ride: 987, X7 M60i, e36 M3
Quote:
Ok, so I'll admit I'm surprised to hear you guys put service that high on the list vs price. Kind of refreshing... Seems like everyone is about $$ these days.

USAA generally has a great reputation but requires military connection to join. Chubb is top-notch for high value homeowners insurance (they are #1 in service and product offering if you have a high value home or other valuables) but they don't have a strong auto product and it's not really a priority for them. Besides that, there are good and bad carriers and it really depends on where you are and what you need.

Happy to share my thoughts on any other specific companies if you are wondering
Eh, it doesn't shock me that this group is willing to pay a bit more to get decent service and have the repairs done correctly. We care about our cars 10x more than the average person, even within the same income brackets.

I switched to Liberty Mutual for home / umbrella / automobiles a few years ago. My auto premium went up a ton when we moved (for stupid reasons, I think), but we got another increase last year and I just didn't have time to shop around. Might be time to do so. This is a helpful thread.
zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 01:45 PM   #20
lupinsea
Jeeped

Carmudgeonly Ride: Modified Jeep Tj and '07 Miata
Quote:
$$ is important but part of that is what you get for what you are paying for. Sounds like many here value a higher level of service or customer satisfaction so the $$ is well spent.

I like to save money on many things but I don't always buy the cheapest thing out there. It's a valance of value. Somethings I don't value much, others I do.

"Jeep is the only true American sports car*" - Enzo Ferrari

* Or something to that effect.
lupinsea is offline   Reply With Quote