carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 11-11-2019, 05:42 PM   #531
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
this is a100% perfect spec for what I'd want. Unfortunately, I expect it to be over $100k and I need to wait until at least 3rd quarter 2020 to do anything, but I'm leaving it here for posterity.
*I* love the white, I love the interior brown, I love the wood, I really love the wheels, I love options it has and doesn't have. All things equal, I like the c4 over c2 and I'm fine with a non-s especially w/ PASM and S Chrono.. perfect.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...a-4-cabriolet/
I like to always post positive posts but I really do not like wood in a 911 it just looks out of place, plus the miles are high, the blue roof is out of place for a car with that color interior and I do not like those wheels except when they are in black ... I am doubtful that car goes for $100k.

Unfortunately the non S model resale is not that great when buying new but purchasing used it is great for the buyer ... I totally agree there is no reason for an S ...
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 07:51 PM   #532
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by AF View Post
I like to always post positive posts but I really do not like wood in a 911 it just looks out of place, plus the miles are high, the blue roof is out of place for a car with that color interior and I do not like those wheels except when they are in black ... I am doubtful that car goes for $100k.

Unfortunately the non S model resale is not that great when buying new but purchasing used it is great for the buyer ... I totally agree there is no reason for an S ...
I hope you're right. I'd love for this thing to stay cheap on a non-reserve auction and make my wife and I have a hard conversation. If I'm the only one that finds appeal in the wood, blue roof and those BEAUTIFUL wheels, I'll take the 'you find my baby ugly' discount
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 07:59 PM   #533
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
I hope you're right. I'd love for this thing to stay cheap on a non-reserve auction and make my wife and I have a hard conversation. If I'm the only one that finds appeal in the wood, blue roof and those BEAUTIFUL wheels, I'll take the 'you find my baby ugly' discount
I would never go as far as calling that car ‘ugly’, it is beautiful ... i’m just being picky ..believe me I see that car on the road and my eyes would be all over it.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 08:11 PM   #534
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
A 911 needs to be a coupe. The whole point of that car is the roofline. If you need a drop-top but the Boxster is not cutting it... I don't know... I'll leave it at I just don't understand.

Also they need to be 2wd and manual...
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 08:11 PM   #535
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
sorry but awd with convertible seems like a odd combination dont you usually drive convertibles in nice weather

more of a question since I am do not live in a place with seasons

Last edited by Jeff_DML; 11-11-2019 at 08:23 PM.
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 09:18 PM   #536
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
sorry but awd with convertible seems like a odd combination dont you usually drive convertibles in nice weather

more of a question since I am do not live in a place with seasons
My S4 convertible seemed to make sense in the Cascade foothills. Seattle area gets rain, (snow depending on elevation in the winter) Summer was full of low humidity sunny weather.

But it wasn't my daily driver
Old 11-12-2019, 06:17 AM   #537
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
I'm a convertible guy, I've daily driven a convertible pretty much non-stop since 1999. Yesterday I put the top down on my 1er on the way home from work. It was 62 degrees and I have a 22 mile highway commute. I really enjoyed it. So, no... 911s shouldn't all be coupes.

I'm kind of ambivolent to the c2 vs c4 thing. A c4 gives me a little more flexibility to drive it earlier/later in the season (if I feel the need for a 2nd set of tires). a 911 would be my primary car, so the extra traction would be helpful on some occasions. I regularly put the top down with the temp as low as the 40s. I just enjoy open air motoring.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 06:27 AM   #538
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by AF View Post

I'm 100% with you on this one. Wood in a 911 just seems so out of place to me, same with the blue top.

I also don't understand AWD 911s or convertible 911s at all... the Boxster just drives better and the back seats in a 911 aren't useful for people anyway.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 10:18 AM   #539
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
I went through 911 shopping twice. Once in 2004, getting my 996 and then again in 2011 for the 997. I drove some 991's in 2016 but didn't end up with any (even though I quite like them).

In 2004, I drove the c2 and the c4 about an hour apart. The c2 felt free-revving with more lively steering. The c4 had heavier, not necessarily bad steering and lost a good bit of its frunk to the front axle. I was even less of a driver then as I am now, so I did not discern further handling differences. The c2 was more fun and that was the car I bought.

In 2011, I shopped for a 997.2. This allowed me a couple of test drives, both rwd and awd. More importantly, I got invited to Porsche's Monticello track event. Not all out, but pretty rapid, 115-120mph-ish, lead follow. Pretty great especially if you're right behind the pro driver.

I had the chance to drive many of the permutations of S vs. non-S, cab vs. coupe, and 2 vs. 4. The coupes were better than cabs on track, perhaps a bigger difference than how a cayman is better than a boxster. The S's were obviously torquier/faster than non-S's (though the 09-12 3.6L base engine with lower gearing is actually peppier than 13-16 base 991's). And the 2's were more fun than the 4's, simply put.

Of all possible RWD cars, the 911 is the last one that needs AWD added because it simply has so much traction. It even, requires, somewhat distant analogy, a slow-in, fast-out method that AWD cars with opposite weight distributions require. The back doesn't get unstuck under power unless you really, really, really try.

I had one memorable slush/ice drive with my 997.2, which I miss quite a bit. We had the surprise storm, it was some kind of weekend off time, and I lived 2 miles away from abandoned warehouses/industrial areas. Took her out, on Potenza RE050 (A or not-A that I forget) and instead of white-knuckle I had tremendous fun. The car has that much traction. If you were to put snows on a c2, nothing but ground clearance would stop it. The boxster/cayman or a 3-series/M3 would be dead in the same conditions with the same tires.

Additional complexity, loss of frunk space (impossible to carry a spare, cuts into much needed weekend getaway luggage room) and a less lively car are real detriments of the C4. Many people buy them, but they are wrong. Perhaps at turbo power levels it makes more sense... Of that, I'm less sure.

The resale market is always strongest for the 911's I seek (and conversely helps me out time of sale). A manual, RWD, coupe is most desirable, 2005+ in S form. Once you've gone into cabs and 4's, I'm not even sure a manual will make it easier to sell back.

Different folks, different strokes... But I'm writing all this because I had multiple test drives, on track experience and finally bad weather hooning and months of ownership.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 11:31 AM   #540
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
My 986S on snows was positively unstoppable in snow. It was incredible fun.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote