carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 09-02-2019, 04:37 PM   #41
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
Quote:
Originally Posted by AF View Post
Wow, I’m paying $956 a month for my 540 with an Msrp around $71k and I pay the taxes and fees upfront ... I thought the price was high but the other dealer I checked with was even higher and the E450 as well as the new A6 was higher.

Maybe leasing prices are coming down.

Yea, deals have gotten better this year vs. last year. My parents bought their X3 last year instead of leasing because the lease programs sucked, but same car right now has pretty good lease support.
Old 09-02-2019, 09:51 PM   #42
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL View Post
Yea, deals have gotten better this year vs. last year. My parents bought their X3 last year instead of leasing because the lease programs sucked, but same car right now has pretty good lease support.
I should have added my deals are for 2 year leases so they are typically higher. Anyway I am curious to what you end up getting.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 02:24 PM   #43
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Wow. I wish I were ready to pull the trigger. Maybe next year. Still struggling with whether I can get by without something more practical than the 2 in my future single (but encumbered) life. Then the question is whether to add something practical and cheaper than the X3 40i, or replace the 2 with the X speced as sporty as I can get it. I still fear I'd really miss the 2...
Hmm- guess it depends on how much you need the extra space.

The X3 m40i seems to be the best overall "do it all car" for the money that I can find. I've flirted with the idea of a GTI or Golf R instead but they lease so poorly (a Golf R can easily go for $500) that it puts me into the "i might as well" zone. An Audi S5 sportback also seems appealing, but would cost way more. BMW have become masters are "checking all the boxes" with their current vehicles-- it's hard to find any fault with the new x3.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 03:26 PM   #44
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Hmm- guess it depends on how much you need the extra space.

The X3 m40i seems to be the best overall "do it all car" for the money that I can find. I've flirted with the idea of a GTI or Golf R instead but they lease so poorly (a Golf R can easily go for $500) that it puts me into the "i might as well" zone. An Audi S5 sportback also seems appealing, but would cost way more. BMW have become masters are "checking all the boxes" with their current vehicles-- it's hard to find any fault with the new x3.
Agreed. I tried to wrap my head around the Golfs, including the underpowered wagons--and they're just not that appealing as a do-all car. A4 wagon, perhaps. But I prefer BMW driving characteristics, electronics, etc. And I've had good luck with BMW reliability (crosses fingers.)

The X3 really seems like the right package. Our X5 is a little too big for me to want to drive daily. In my new reality, there will be much kid and dog hauling---and that's tough to do with a two-door car and no cargo hold for the dogs (one of whom gets cars sick ). I would also like a good vehicle for escapes to the Blue Ridge mountains with the animals. And I may not have a garage in my next home. Carports are the rule in the mid-range of housing here.

My sporty convertible is a big source of joy, though, and that's sorely needed in my current situation. (Plus, a friend of mine reminds me they're a chick magnet. )

The perseverating continues.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 06:57 PM   #45
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Agreed. I tried to wrap my head around the Golfs, including the underpowered wagons--and they're just not that appealing as a do-all car. A4 wagon, perhaps. But I prefer BMW driving characteristics, electronics, etc. And I've had good luck with BMW reliability (crosses fingers.)

The X3 really seems like the right package. Our X5 is a little too big for me to want to drive daily. In my new reality, there will be much kid and dog hauling---and that's tough to do with a two-door car and no cargo hold for the dogs (one of whom gets cars sick ). I would also like a good vehicle for escapes to the Blue Ridge mountains with the animals. And I may not have a garage in my next home. Carports are the rule in the mid-range of housing here.

My sporty convertible is a big source of joy, though, and that's sorely needed in my current situation. (Plus, a friend of mine reminds me they're a chick magnet. )

The perseverating continues.
Ha - for combining a practical SUV with a chick magnet you'd probably want something like a Jaaaag F-pace or Range Rover Velar. Those are both way more $$ than an X3 though.

I considered the A4 wagon (sorry "allroad") as well, but it also leases pretty poorly meaning that I'd be in/near X3 40i territory and it'd still be the 4 cyl. And yeah, the X3 is even more practical and with much better electronics. Despite being an SUV, I think it feels better in corners as well owing to a better weight distribution.
Old 09-03-2019, 07:06 PM   #46
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
Ha - for combining a practical SUV with a chick magnet you'd probably want something like a Jaaaag F-pace or Range Rover Velar. Those are both way more $$ than an X3 though.

I considered the A4 wagon (sorry "allroad") as well, but it also leases pretty poorly meaning that I'd be in/near X3 40i territory and it'd still be the 4 cyl. And yeah, the X3 is even more practical and with much better electronics. Despite being an SUV, I think it feels better in corners as well owing to a better weight distribution.
I might be able to get down to an X1, but I don’t like the idea of going to an FWD-biased platform, even if it is mitigated RWD.

Plus, I love the B58 engine and 8 spd auto. My 2 is a fantastic iteration of it.
Old 09-03-2019, 07:14 PM   #47
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
I might be able to get down to an X1, but I don’t like the idea of going to an FWD-biased platform, even if it is mitigated RWD.

Plus, I love the B58 engine and 8 spd auto. My 2 is a fantastic iteration of it.
Make sure you test drive one for an extended period if you go that route. My mom has an X1 and I borrowed it for a road trip once. There was something about the ride quality that made me nauseous (even when I was driving). Never experienced that in another car. When you're just driving around town it seems like enough car though.
Old 09-03-2019, 07:35 PM   #48
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
Make sure you test drive one for an extended period if you go that route. My mom has an X1 and I borrowed it for a road trip once. There was something about the ride quality that made me nauseous (even when I was driving). Never experienced that in another car. When you're just driving around town it seems like enough car though.
Yikes. Good tip. Thank you! (Round trip capabilities are essential.) Maybe adaptive suspension would help, but I have no chance in hell of testing that.
Old 09-03-2019, 08:22 PM   #49
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Yikes. Good tip. Thank you! (Round trip capabilities are essential.) Maybe adaptive suspension would help, but I have no chance in hell of testing that.

Yeah I wondered about the adaptive suspension as well
Old 09-04-2019, 11:15 AM   #50
wdc330i
dogged

Rob, have you driven an AWD Mazda CX5 with the bigger engine? I don't think I could have it as my only vehicle, but maybe it would do along with the 2?