carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 04-10-2009, 06:48 PM   #41
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
As a counterpoint (to myself), I'll add another note on the M. I drove my friend's a good two hours today, about 80 miles of urban/suburban/highway, some cruising and minor tearing around...

I still think it is very good. Much better than 3ers and all other current bmw's in pretty much every way, ride comfort included, excepting fuel consumption and range. If I had to have one car, it would be the top contender, due to its speed, backseat and highway comfort.

It still is not more fun than porsches though, cayman (for sure) or 997S (I am guessing as this is not back to back). As long as I can keep two cars, one will be a porsche the other something else, so I am burying the M3 thoughts for now. And no, it doesn't make sense for me to have an M3 and a porsche.

Now that I've driven this one a few hundred miles (including pickup), I'm really getting over the novelty.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 07:07 PM   #42
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
As a counterpoint (to myself), I'll add another note on the M. I drove my friend's a good two hours today, about 80 miles of urban/suburban/highway, some cruising and minor tearing around...

I still think it is very good. Much better than 3ers and all other current bmw's in pretty much every way, ride comfort included, excepting fuel consumption and range. If I had to have one car, it would be the top contender, due to its speed, backseat and highway comfort.

It still is not more fun than porsches though, cayman (for sure) or 997S (I am guessing as this is not back to back). As long as I can keep two cars, one will be a porsche the other something else, so I am burying the M3 thoughts for now. And no, it doesn't make sense for me to have an M3 and a porsche.

Now that I've driven this one a few hundred miles (including pickup), I'm really getting over the novelty.
And that's been my dilemma all along. I've wanted the sportscar+sedan (or in my case wagon) setup, but I won't be able to drive the sportscar, so I've come to terms with "settling" for an M3. I'd like to think if I get an M3 sedan, that it would be reliable enough to keep for a LONG time and eventually add an Elise, or 987S, etc. But who knows. It's too far ahead to have a clue.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote